Author Topic: Day 32!  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Dr.Mr.Ed

• Sly Guy in Training
Day 32!
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:57:39 AM »
I finally hit Day 30 over the weekend. Most local folks have seen me now and I'm very happy with the feedback. I also just got back a week vacation at the beach and couldn't be more happy being sly. No more worry about hats and such, just lube up with noggin with lotion regularly and go. Got a tanned dome now too!

I work from home, so work folks not on Facebook haven't seen me yet. The first test will be at a small conference in August, but the big test will be at a major trade show in November unless they drag me to corporate HQ before then. Still not sure how those reactions will go, but already the look feels natural to me, so I doubt there'll be any issues at all.

Here are a few things I've learned over the month in the interest of sharing info with other newbs:

* Shaving Technique - I use a dual-blade standard HeadBlade. One day I go front to back, the next back to front. I started out using two hands, but I'm so retarded with my left hand, I've managed to get everything with my right hand. Making sure the blade is dry before putting it away, I can get a good 7-10 days out of a blade before it starts catching and dragging. I shave my face with an electric razor, which I use on a hard-to-reach spot behind my ears.

* Aftershave - I started out real concerned about drying out and used regular body lotion or aloe afterwards. I have a naturally oily scalp, so this turned out not so good. Right now I'm using ClearHead from HeadBlade -- it stings nicely and keeps the oiliness down for a while. Later in the day or before going out, I'll use a bit of witch hazel and it works great. After the ClearHead runs out, I'll probably just use witch hazel.

* Sunblock - I've been using Coppertone with Zinc Oxide SPF 50. It goes on thick and white and is hard to rub in completely if you've been wet or have much stubble. However, it works really well and I use it on my whole face and ears. In the past, I've had some eye burning issues with other lotions once sweat mixes in. But this is good stuff. I love not having to wear a hat anymore.

* Attitude - I'm still the same laid back, quiet-in-public kind of guy. However, strangers seem to treat me somewhat differently now. It's hard to explain, and not a bad thing, but maybe it's because I'm not worrying myself about thinning hair that I'm just more relaxed. I've had many more people approach me to talk about random things in random places (parking lots about the car, in line about whatever, etc).  However, I probably look a lot meaner in sunglasses in my bigass black car now. Maybe those Prius drivers will be more likely to get out of my left lane now  :x!

Sly since June 25, 2010.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Day 32!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:03:07 AM »
sounds good, but then we knew you'd like it.  Don't worry about the business end--sly is totally w/in the bounds of business dress these days. 

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:39:13 AM »
Nice post Dr. Mr. Ed.
Glad everything is working out well for you!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:18:55 PM »
Outstanding Mr. Ed!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 01:32:21 PM »
Great success story Mr. Ed. 8)
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 03:30:24 PM »
Congratulations Ed!  Another success story  O0

Offline reb123161

• Sly
  • I like my women a little on the trashy side!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 04:50:14 PM »
Great job, man.  I am not too far behind you!  I certainly learned when to change blades whenever I grabbed an older one yesterday morning!!  LOL.

Offline Craig Reed

• Sly Jr.
    • A Lit Journey: Motivation From Within
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 05:36:44 PM »
You look great man, and no one would know you haven't been doing it for years!

I am strictly Headblade guy here - but started out using traditional razors but could never go back now!

Looking good Sly! I assume you are going to stick with it?
Check out my blog on balding and weight loss
www.alitjourney.wordpress.com
www.coachcraigreed.com

jrppsuobx

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 06:31:25 PM »
Congrats!

Offline jaypksfo

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 06:52:08 PM »
Congrats on making it past 30 days . . . Still looking good!

Offline johnnyo

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 07:33:33 PM »
Congratulations, you look great, I can tell you did get a good tan, looking good! O0

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 12:01:50 AM »
Congrats dude......no looking back now!!!

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 11:25:26 PM »
Great post and great point about people treating you differently in a good way.   I've noticed that a lot after going sly.  Random strangers will strike up conversations where in the past it rarely happened.   

Enter your email address: