Author Topic: Excuses  (Read 12063 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Excuses
« on: July 22, 2010, 09:58:33 PM »
Anyone who's ever been on the fence about whether or not to shave his head has come up with a million reasons, some of them quite creative, why he can't do it.  We all seem to think that it's an easy and natural decision for everyone else, but one that we just can't -- for whatever reason -- do ourselves.  We don't think we can "pull it off" like everyone else can, or that our own specific circumstances prevent us from doing it.  Some of the more common excuses:

1.  My head is too big/wrong shape
2.  I'm too thin/pale and I'll look like a cancer patient
3.  I'm too fat and need to get in shape before I can shave
4.  My wife/girlfriend won't like it.  If I were single, I'd try it in a heartbeat
5.  I won't be attractive to the opposite sex.  If I were married or in a relationship, I'd try it in a heartbeat
6.  It might be frowned upon at work
7.  I have a full head of hair; if I were already balding, shaving my head would be a lot risky because I wouldn't have anything more to lose
8.  I've already lost a lot of hair; if I shave it off it might not all grow back. If I had a full head of hair, shaving my head would be a lot less risky becuase I could grow it back at any time.

Feel free to add any more excuses you can think of to the list.  At the end of the day, none of them is valid.  Nothing is stopping you from shaving your head except YOU.  The sky will not fall and the world will not end if you shave your head.  The vast majority of people simply won't give a damn.

So, in short, if you've ever asked yourself the question, should I shave my head? -- then the answer is YES, because the question wouldn't come up if you didn't want to give it a try. 

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Excuses
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 05:35:51 AM »
Great post razor.

This is really just an extension of what goes on in society a lot these days. Excuses for everything.
No more excuses Gentlemen...... man up!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

OzBaldyBoi

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 05:43:19 AM »
So true razor!! 1,3,5 and 7 ALL related to me and i'm sure so many others! In the end i just did what i felt was right ;-)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 06:48:58 AM »
I resemble several of those.  It's the inertia of misery, and the laws of motion apply. 

Offline texanron

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 06:51:43 AM »
You tell 'em Razor!!

I can relate to #3 in the way that I shaved my head first so I would have to get into shape so as not to be the bald headed fat guy. A little extra motivation to get me in the gym in the mornings. Still working on the getting into shape part of it though.

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 07:26:09 AM »
Great post Razor,

I'm a 1,3,4,5,6.   

Since I wore a rug - personally I would have to add "I can't get out of my contract for another 6 months", and "But all the TV ads for hair replacement options tell me that beautiful people have hair and that guys with hair get all the girls", and "I'll look older".   

One of the best decisions I've ever was to shave my head.  And I shaved thanks to all the support from this group! 

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »
I had no problem regards excuses about why not to shave.  I needed no encouragement at all!  8) My excuses were more to do with why I shaved, when people asked me...

"Because I'm receding"
"It's just for the summer" :/O
"It's quite fashionable" 8)
"I forgot to put the comb on the hair trimmer..." ^-^

Four years later I need no excuses and everyone is cool with it, so my 'excuse' has turned into a reason, plain and simple: 'Because I like it" 8)

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 08:17:26 PM »
Good post Razor!  O0

Sometimes I just want to say... "shut up, man up and shave your head"!   :*))
...but that wouldn't be polite!  ::)

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 08:55:14 PM »
hey razor:  that was an excellent post.  thanks 4 sharing.  i can relate to #1 but i still love my big sly dome. 8) O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 12:17:50 AM »
When I looked at a bald guy or a guy with a shaved head I have no negative feelings toward him at all.  But somehow when I starting shaving my own head I was thinking oh no, this can't be happening to me, i will look aweful with a shaved head.  Funny because up to that point I had never seen a guy I thought didn't look good simply because of his shaved head.   :/O :/O     Well, thank God those days are gone.

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 03:39:52 AM »
Outstanding post, thank you very much.

Yes I know No.4.
But in reality it has been a non-event.
Going from short buzzed to shaved has got just few critical comments.
My wife does not like it, but she tolerates.

J

Offline Snakehandler

• Sly
  • Snakehandler
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 01:30:41 PM »
Mine didn't like it at first either. Now she does. But all the other ladies love it  !!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 01:33:20 PM »
Add:
Shaving my head will be a chore.

Boy, was I ever wrong about that one--it's one of my favorite parts of my morning routine. 

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 01:36:29 PM »
Good post Razor  - - -and we can all relate to it

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 04:45:57 PM »
I can relate to all of these reasons......bottom line is that are no real excuses for not getting your head shaved. If you are thinking about then you should just do & be done with it. It's the best choice I ever made concerning my image.
BaldBill

Enter your email address: