Author Topic: Non-sly moments  (Read 16993 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Non-sly moments
« on: April 01, 2007, 07:46:28 PM »
OK, it's confession time.  I have to admit, that although most of the time I am perfectly happy with my bald head, I do occasionally have moments that I miss having hair.   It usually happens after seeing someone in a movie or on TV with a full, thick mop of hair.

I've also experienced that "Seinfeld moment", when after about two years of regular shaving, I ran my hand over my head one evening, and felt the stubble along the sides and back of my head -- but I was still smooth on top.  That was the moment I realized that I was bald -- not just shaved, but really BALD.  Forever.  I was long past the point where it should have mattered, but it still bothered me a bit - briefly.

Has this happened to anyone else here?

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
Re: Non-sly moments
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 08:57:45 PM »
I've only been shaving about three weeks, so I haven't yet reached the point where I imagined having hair again.  When I see someone's flashy hairdo on TV, it reminds me of how happy I am being different.  Shaving feels more "me" than any hairstyle ever did.

It sounds weird, but I hope I don't lose my hair because I like having something to shave off in the morning.  I'm hooked on the shaving process.  Though I do like the thought of not having end-of-day stubble on top.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 10:36:36 PM »
The first time I went sly was a year ago last November, my wife didn't like it so I caved in and grew my hair back.  I really missed the freedom and felt like I wasn't being true to myself.  Finally last month I told my bride I was really sorry but I had given it a year and it just wasn't me.  I dug out my HeadBlade and have been very happy ever since.

There's nothing like Sly for this guy!   O:O  Hair is for squares!   :*))

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

BaldRob

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 11:01:41 PM »
OK, it's confession time.  I have to admit, that although most of the time I am perfectly happy with my bald head, I do occasionally have moments that I miss having hair.   It usually happens after seeing someone in a movie or on TV with a full, thick mop of hair.

I've also experienced that "Seinfeld moment", when after about two years of regular shaving, I ran my hand over my head one evening, and felt the stubble along the sides and back of my head -- but I was still smooth on top.  That was the moment I realized that I was bald -- not just shaved, but really BALD.  Forever.  I was long past the point where it should have mattered, but it still bothered me a bit - briefly.

Has this happened to anyone else here?

Can't say that it did with me... I knew I was bald before I started shaving it!

Since I've been sly for somewhere around 3 years now, I'm actually very judgemental looking at "hairy" people... and wondering what they're thinking with what they're doing with their hair!

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 11:05:35 PM »
In the past 6 years, I've let my hair grow out (over an inch) about twice a year just to see if it's still there.... probably could just go by how clogged my razor gets.

As far as confidence, I have a lot more of it without hair.... you know? Nothing there to look sloppy. No funny smell from product. Also, the headrub is the new handshake :)

Yeah, I went there.

SHINE ON!!!

jusbnme

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 05:40:28 AM »
Yeah, sometimes I wonder what I would look like now with hair.  That is if it would grow in like it use to soooo long ago.  Sometimes I'll check out some of my old pics where I had a full head of hair when I was like 11 and 12.  Just to look back though.  Not regretting anything because I love being sly and would never change that.  Even if I had hair though, I think I would still feel more confident with the sly look as ricecub has stated. 

Offline Dtopford

• Sly
  • after the shave
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 04:21:03 PM »
I agree I see other men with balding heads and wonder if they are thinking about shaving it. I like it so much better than hair. Hair was just a big pain in the butt for me. Being Military I had to get it cut every 1-2 weeks and there is nothing more depressing than seeing the barber holding the 15-20 strands of hair on the top of your head trying to trim them to make it look decent. Those were the only real times I told myself man your bald. Now I don't even think about my head till the stubble comes in.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 09:25:24 PM »
I agree with you Dtopford about military haircuts. though i'm not military, i admire their haircuts. i always a crewcut or a hnt and was getting it cut every 2 to 3 weeks. Then I bought my own pair of clippers and would cut it every week. What a pain and the cleanup! So I took the plunge last May and shaved my head clean. So much easier! I like the feel of my clean scalp and the smoothness. And I look better with a shaved head. No more gray!

Keep it sly.

Offline Beer Barron

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 03:25:19 AM »
SHINE ON!!!

You crazy diamond!

My mother-in-law is about the only person that asks me about growing my hair back.  She knew me way back when I had decent blonde hair (my wife and I started dating when we were 15 and now I'm 30, but I digress).  She asks how much I'd have now.  To be honest, I'm not all that interested in finding out.  I do get a kick out of showing my kids pictures of Dad with hair.  They are too young yet to razz me about it though.  Can't wait for that!!!!   :P

Offline don

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 10:39:07 PM »
Razor X please,I know exactly how you feel.Try reading some of my other posts.Even though I keep my thinning hair cut close,I still have my moments whenever I see someone with a full head of hair.For the most part I'm used to this cut but there are still some people that I won't let them see me without my piece.I think for the rest of my life there will be some people I let see me natural and some I won't. If that's what works for me fine. You have to do what makes you most comfortable regardless of what others say.

Offline SBG

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 12:21:22 PM »
It's probably because of the frustration of not having the choice. (I know  :'( )

It's easy to go like "wooweee! I'm slick & sly and if I get tired of this I grow a full bush again" for those people it's a true fashion statement that they support 100% no doubt, for real baldies/those on the path to baldness however, it's more like a compromise you have to find yourself in. Sort of an acceptance of that which you didn't always wanted at first to be happy with yourself again.

Honestly I'd prefer having long hair to being bald, maybe some of you think that's crazy.. it's not like I don't really like being sly at times but it's just that I'd liked to have gotten a choice in the matter.  :-\

(you hearing me supreme being?! Next incarnation better, you hear!  :x!   >:D )

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 03:24:36 PM »
It's easy to go like "wooweee! I'm slick & sly and if I get tired of this I grow a full bush again"
Honestly I'd prefer having long hair to being bald, maybe some of you think that's crazy.. it's not like I don't really like being sly at times but it's just that I'd liked to have gotten a choice in the matter.  :-\
SBG, like your bold honesty!!  Have to admit, there are moments, not very often though, that I wish I could grow a head of thick hair.
Slick & Sly is better than Lame & Thinning!!
Wait a second I'm  actually glad to be the real bald me. No second thoughts about this.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 05:16:52 PM »
It's probably because of the frustration of not having the choice. (I know  :'( )

It's easy to go like "wooweee! I'm slick & sly and if I get tired of this I grow a full bush again" for those people it's a true fashion statement that they support 100% no doubt, for real baldies/those on the path to baldness however, it's more like a compromise you have to find yourself in. Sort of an acceptance of that which you didn't always wanted at first to be happy with yourself again.

That's not crazy.  Everyone's got a personal preference.  Maybe it's a little easier to accept the earlier you shave it off, so that it's more of a choice.  Then again, some guys here were 30 or 40+ when they went sly.  I've had long hair before.  My hair is just so thin, curly, and unmanageable.  I've got a high hairline with good coverage, but I like that I don't care either way whether it goes in ten or twenty years.  I've honestly never looked or felt better.  For me, it's not just a fashion statement, it's a mindset and an attitude change.  And not just for me, but for society, which has accepted buzz cuts and shaved heads.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 06:55:54 PM »
I'm finding that a good cure for those "I want hair" moments is to pull out some photos of yourself that were taken shortly before you shaved it all off.  Seeing the thinning, recession, and bald spots helps you take off the rose-colored glasses and remember what your hair would really be like and why you chose to get rid of it.

The comparison should not be a full head of hair vs. bald, because that full head of hair is no longer an option and thus no longer matters.  The comparison is the hair you would have if you didn't shave vs. a completely bald head.  And the completely bald head wins every time.

Visiting this board is also a good confidence-booster when you feel you need it.

Offline fat_bald_and_proud

• MasterShaver
  • Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 05:54:40 PM »
Hey there, bald brothers!

I'm new on this forum but not a bald newbie.

I will have been sly for 25 years within the next couple of weeks and every time I've grown (some) hair, it just reminded me why I went bald!

Once you hook the big one you still gotta reel it in...