Author Topic: Am I missing something?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline thebaboun

• Sly Jr.
Am I missing something?
« on: July 01, 2010, 05:40:33 PM »
Hi guys, I am back after a couple of months away from the website.

Here is my shaving routine and I wanted to know if something is missing:

Shower (hot water on my head),
I use some $1 razors (3 lames) to shave with some Shaving cream
Since today, I decided I will put a couple of Irish Spring on my head to wash my head,
Then I rinse everything
I apply some Niveaa Moisisturizer

Am I missing something? Do some people use SHINNY PRODUCTS to have their domes shinny?
I don't know if it is because I am young, but I feel that I could shave DEEPER my head....When I go back after shaving with the same razor, I don't have any other hair, do you think it is because of my cheap razor.
What I mean by that last sentence: Will it make a difference if I use 3 blades Mach 3 vs 3 blades from $1 store in terms of "hair appearance on the sides....even tough it is not hair, it is just more darker because of I am bald haha." I guess I just answered my question, but curious of what you guys think!

Thank you!

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Am I missing something?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »
Well...if you read the threads around here, there are any number of things you could do differently:  better blades, different preparation, different post shave application.  Some of it depends on you.  Some of it is painfully obvious; like a new sharp blade is better than most any used blade.  Try a better blade if you can.  Mach 3 is a decent blade.  I used them for a while.   ;)

Basic keys in prepartion is to get your hair and scalp ready for the shave.  Shaving after a warm/hot shower is a definite change for the better.  Use a good shaving cream that allows your blade to glide.  If you shave with the grain, try against the grain.   O0

Post shaving application- try something from the Bald Guyz collection.  There are some things that will give you a nice shine, if that is your goal.  Some guys don't want shine.  Bald Guyz (and some others) have Matte finish applications to get rid of shine.  It's all in what you want.  (Was that enough?) 8)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:12:50 PM by Nonick »

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 05:10:28 PM »
I followed Saintc's advice and started using St. Ives Apricot scrub before shaving and it made a significant difference.   I'm shaved this morning (headblade triples) at 6am after using the scrub and its now 4:15pm and I'm still as smooth as a baby's bottom.     I'm a headblade fan and thanks to Saintc - a St. Ives fan too. 

Offline Mikemc411

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:04:50 AM »
If your using the $1 razers our of pure ecomomics... take a look at the Personna M5 Magnum razer... Its decently priced and I am getting a week (7 shaves) our of each blade... but I dry off the razer after each use and rinse with alcohol to rid the blade of any moisture (they say it extentds the blade life)

Personna packages the M5 Magnum for several retailers but they are all the same razer.. Rite-Aide , Freds, etc....
at Freds (discount dept store) the 4 pack of refills is $4.56

Hope this helps.... ,

BTW..

I shave at the sink before I shower, then the last thing before getting out of the shower I do a cold water rinse on my head... this closes the pores, and creates a shine.... (read that tip on here)

Enter your email address: