Author Topic: Pale white scalp - what can be done  (Read 10442 times)

Offline Chris730

• Sly Guy in Training
Pale white scalp - what can be done
« on: June 23, 2010, 03:17:24 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I'm 25 years old and started to lose my hair a few years back. I've been thinking about buzzing it really short (1mm or maybe even without the guard), then if it looks good I'll consider shaving it.

I've had a buzz cut before, but it was longer (5mm). My biggest concern about going shorter is my scalp. Because I've had hair all my life, my scalp hasn't had much exposure to sunlight, so it's really pale. I'm afraid I'll look completely ridiculous with a big white scalp. Since I work in an office, I can't wear any headgear so throwing on a baseball cap is out of the question.

Anyone know any good tanning lotions? One that preferably works quick, and doesn't make my scalp orange (a bright orange scalp wouldn't be any better than a bright white one).

I wonder if I buzz it on Friday, then start applying a lotion, whether it'll look decent by Monday for work. Any help would be much appreciated!  O:O

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
Re: Pale white scalp - what can be done
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 05:39:03 PM »
I'd be careful there with "lotions" and "tanning potions," as you might end up looking the color of a basketball above the ears and attract stares in the street.  There's nothing wrong with "pale."  If you have dark hair (left) the "shadow" will counteract the "pale" to a degree.

My own suggestion, some would of course disagree: go with "pale," wear hats or sunblock only when you think you'll be out in the sun for more than a few minutes, and otherwise let the summit "weather" slowly.  But do be careful should you go the "instant" route.  The "tanning stuff" has none of the protection that a real tan or sunblock will have, and you can think you are protected from burn, but a surprise may well be on the way...

(|8-)

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
I kept my hair pretty short for a long time before I shaved it off and so the color wasn't much of an issue when I did.  I have fine, sparse blond hair though, so lots of sun could get through.  It sort of depends how tan the rest of your head is and how dense your hair is. 

Be careful--it's easy to get a sunburn up there!

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 10:42:21 PM »
A good three days of sun can definitely help. But be sure not to over expose your dome and get burned up top, it can be brutal!
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
  • Any idiot can take a good pic w/ a digital camera!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 12:41:38 PM »
I wore a #1 buzz for 2 weeks before shaving.  I did get some sun during that time, but I was pale, and paler still after going sly.  The color evened out after a week or so.  I did like Ming suggested and had some real sun exposure for short durations during that first week without sunscreen.   Since then I apply sunscreen if I'm going to be outdoors for any length of time.   
This is another reason to follow the 30 day rule.