Author Topic: Classic bmw motorcycle opinions  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Mrnemo

• Sly Jr.
Classic bmw motorcycle opinions
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:58:31 AM »
Hey guys pretty new to the site. I noticed a few bike nuts on here. Just wondering if anyone has ridden or has any opinion on older bmw motorcycles. I looked at a 1970 R/75/5 (750cc) for sale last night has been sitting for 20 years currently not running. The guy claims 7k original miles. He was asking $1,000 offered 600 waiting to hear back. Burned out on the whole v-twin thing seems like everybody and there brother has one including me. Always liked the old beemers. Any thoughts?

Pshrynk

Re: Classic bmw motorcycle opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 02:10:47 PM »
I think it comes down to how mechanically proficient and ambitious you are.   An old bike like that is going to constantly be needing big and small repairs.  After sitting for twenty years all of the seals will be dry and the electrics will be iffy depending on how it was stored.  The engine/transmission may even be rusted or seized.

Incidentally I just bought a 2010 Triumph Tiger today.

Offline DAMMAG

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 04:05:20 PM »
I think the R75/5 came in short and long wheelbase and the short wheelbase was a bit of an iffy handler.

I have a mate with a 75/6 and he can fly on the backroads around here, with the long travel suspension and large wheels making easy work of the bumps.

I think the old R75's are great but as Pshrynk stated be prepared to get your hands dirty to get it sorted out.

Offline Mrnemo

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 06:00:01 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys. First off congrats on the triumph tiger they are nice bikes. Test rode a bonneville demo bike last year and seemed like a fun bike. Will have to look into the bmw shorter wheel base handling issues.  The bmw isn't locked up you can shift through the gears and kick it. I"m thinking clean the carbs, new battery, new fluids, check the wiring and see what happens . I have a friends who work on old bikes and is highly skilled. If I can't get it running just flip it and make a couple bucks. I'm working on a 74 beetle and yeah the older stuff tend to be money pits.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 06:59:18 PM »
Those old Beemers were bullet proof. After all those years of sitting it will need some love to get it going. Good luck with this one.... a challenge probably worth taking.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Enter your email address: