Author Topic: defeating the dreaded beer belly  (Read 15037 times)

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
Re: defeating the dreaded beer belly
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2010, 02:45:08 PM »
That's what I thought. Thanks FF.

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
  • Hang out with Stevie Ray in my Nations Capital
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2010, 09:07:53 AM »
Looking for advice on what muscle groups to work out together or not to work out together.
Currently I go with the following: Day 1 - Legs and Cardio. Day 2 - Chest, Biceps and Triceps and Cardio. Day 3 - Back and Shoulders and Cardio. Day 4 - Cardio only. Day 5 off. Start cycle over.
Any thoughts?

Generally a 3 day split is a good workout routine. Combine chest shoulders and biceps in one workout, combine back and triceps in another workout, and legs and abs on one workout. Day of rest from weight training between workouts. Cardio can be done on rest days.

Chest workout involves shoulders and biceps so that is why you combine them for the same day, back workout involves triceps and that is likewise why you combine them for the same workout. 
"Who loves ya, baby?"~Kojak~

Offline FightFan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 09:31:19 AM »
The routine kojak pointed out is a quality one and works wonders for majority of people.  the reasoning is a bit off though probably just a typo as kojak knows his stuff, the reason to put back and triceps together is that the biceps are the big assister muscle when working back so when working back, triceps are fresh and you can work them to their maximum as they are fresh. The big assister muscle on chest and shoulder are the triceps as you are extending the arm in these movements, so biceps will be fresh and good to couple it with shoulders as anterior deltoids are hit hard during chest work. As for legs always do them on their own unless you're more advanced and splitting hamstrings and quads up on different days. But follow the routine kojak posted and you'll be sorted  O0
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:33:36 AM by FightFan »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 09:34:16 AM »
That's an interesting pairing, I had always heard, back & biceps, chest & tri's, legs as the split and crunches and cardio ever day.  Personally, I've done it a little differently, bi's, tri's & shoulders; chest and back; & legs; with cardio and crunches each day, so every major body part gets worked twice a week and one day off.   Unless you're going for contests it probably doesn't matter as long as you have some pattern and you stick w/ it.

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2010, 09:47:33 AM »
The routine kojak pointed out is a quality one and works wonders for majority of people.  the reasoning is a bit off though probably just a typo as kojak knows his stuff, the reason to put back and triceps together is that the biceps are the big assister muscle when working back so when working back, triceps are fresh and you can work them to their maximum as they are fresh. The big assister muscle on chest and shoulder are the triceps as you are extending the arm in these movements, so biceps will be fresh and good to couple it with shoulders as anterior deltoids are hit hard during chest work. As for legs always do them on their own unless you're more advanced and splitting hamstrings and quads up on different days. But follow the routine kojak posted and you'll be sorted  O0

Good call, meant back and bi's, chest shoulders and tri's, and legs and abs.

Abs can be done everyday, however that is not necessary for the desired washboard look, only striping off the extra fat with reveal the abs.

Offline FightFan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2010, 09:49:40 AM »
Back and bis and chest and tris works well too as they work together with the smaller muscles being assisters but by switching it to chest bis and back bis you get to hit arms once directly and once indirectly per week. As for crunches everyday, I would cut it down as your 'abs' are a muscle too and need time to grow. Yo are right its more important to have a routine that you stick to especially for someone who isnt competing. But putting chest and back together isnt usually done as if you are doing big heavy compound exercises such as deadlift for back and bench press for chest its alot for one workout. But consistency is the key

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2010, 09:50:27 AM »
only striping off the extra fat with reveal the abs.

Okay, so that's the toughest workout routine of all, pushing back from the table.  Damn, that one really hurts.  

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2010, 10:01:17 AM »
only striping off the extra fat with reveal the abs.

Okay, so that's the toughest workout routine of all, pushing back from the table.  Damn, that one really hurts.  

Yes that one hurts the most, especially living in Cajun land with all that good gumbo and jumbalaya and boudin and etouffee and chicken fricassee and country food and smoked pork and craklins and po boys and muffalettas and ........

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2010, 10:11:21 AM »
Yes that one hurts the most, especially living in Cajun land with all that good gumbo and jumbalaya and boudin and etouffee and chicken fricassee and country food and smoked pork and craklins and po boys and muffalettas and ........

Oh yeah, now I'm hungry and it's the countdown hour to lunch!  Well the six pack will have to remained cushioned and out of sight just a little longer. ;D

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2010, 10:42:13 AM »
It's simple, (But never confuse simple with easy). 

Smaller portions.  Reduce carbs, eat more protein, less fat, more veggies and bulk/fiber to make you feel full. 

Calories stored = Calories consumed - Calories burned.  You're gonna have to sweat.  You must do cardio and building some lean muscle will help raise your metabolism. 
Exercise everyday.  I don't care how busy you are, unless you're a doctor working rotations or working 60 hours a week, you can prioritize and workout every day or close to it. 

Cut down on beer/alcohol; if you must imbibe stay away from sweet sugary drinks.  Go for a liquor mixed with soda water.   
Cut all sweets.  You just don't need em. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2010, 12:07:44 PM »
It's simple, (But never confuse simple with easy). 

Smaller portions.  Reduce carbs, eat more protein, less fat, more veggies and bulk/fiber to make you feel full. 

Calories stored = Calories consumed - Calories burned.  You're gonna have to sweat.  You must do cardio and building some lean muscle will help raise your metabolism. 
Exercise everyday.  I don't care how busy you are, unless you're a doctor working rotations or working 60 hours a week, you can prioritize and workout every day or close to it. 

Cut down on beer/alcohol; if you must imbibe stay away from sweet sugary drinks.  Go for a liquor mixed with soda water.   
Cut all sweets.  You just don't need em. 

Sound advice, also helps to know what you daily caloric needs are to maintain your current weight and then under cut them by 300-500 calories per day.  7 days times 500 equals 3500. one pound of fat is 3500 calories.

A daily deficit of 500 calories will produce 1 pound of fat loss per week. 1000 would equal 2 lbs of fat loss. In most cases doctors don't recommend more than 2 lbs of fat loss per week.

In 7 weeks you could be 1 stone lighter!  O0

Offline texanron

• Sly
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2010, 08:01:22 AM »
I did happen to notice that on chest day the front of my shoulders would be a little sore the next day. So it only makes sense then to move shoulder exercises to the same day as chest and triceps. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Any recommendations on a few chest exercises to really make the muscles work?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
I did happen to notice that on chest day the front of my shoulders would be a little sore the next day. So it only makes sense then to move shoulder exercises to the same day as chest and triceps. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Any recommendations on a few chest exercises to really make the muscles work?

Bench presses -- flat, incline and decline
Pec flies -- flat and incline
Decline pushups
Cable crossovers

Offline thebbqguy

• Sly
    • Get Your Prep On
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2010, 05:35:40 PM »
I lost 19 lbs since Jan 1 by switching from Coke to Coke Zero.  There may be those that don't believe that, but it's true.
TheBBQGuy

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2010, 01:53:06 AM »
We are in an area where it is hard to get to a gym. Started eating more sensibly and bought a Wii. We use EA Sports Active almost daily. Good work-out. Tones the muscles. Takes off the weight.
Whatever method you use, it's important to keep at it.