Author Topic: people not liking my beard  (Read 7534 times)

Offline syrian sly

• Sly Jr.
people not liking my beard
« on: June 11, 2010, 10:36:36 PM »
im thinking of going sly soon, and when i cut my hair short like a buzz it always looks good with a goatee or chinstrap. but whenever it starts to look good and full is when my parents and uncles start telling me i look like a muslim. they keep nagging me and saying tht i look like a terrorist until i finally just get fed up and shave it. im a chrisitian from the middle east but people always say tht their first guess is that im italian, so logically i should look like a bearded italian not a terrorist :XX :/O.. anyway im about to just ignore them and grow it out

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
Re: people not liking my beard
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 11:20:39 PM »
im thinking of going sly soon, and when i cut my hair short like a buzz it always looks good with a goatee or chinstrap. but whenever it starts to look good and full is when my parents and uncles start telling me i look like a muslim. they keep nagging me and saying tht i look like a terrorist until i finally just get fed up and shave it. im a chrisitian from the middle east but people always say tht their first guess is that im italian, so logically i should look like a bearded italian not a terrorist :XX :/O.. anyway im about to just ignore them and grow it out
at the end of the day it matters what YOU like, not what others. Be comfortable with yourself, do what YOU want, and the others will come around eventually
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline bubbadave3

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 02:35:24 AM »

Boy, can I relate to you!  I'm 100% Middle Eastern, (Armenian), and go to an non-denominational church.  I was born in the States, and this woman at our church came up to me and told me that she's afraid of me because she's convinced that I'm a Middle Eastern terrorist!  She told me that I look like Saddam.  I told her that my relatives have been Christians for centuries, and that I am not a terrorist.  To this very day, she told me that I should trim my goat and that she'll ask me where my sheet is.  She'll even ask me if I've flown any planes into any buildings lately?  She's totally loopy!  I still have my goat.  I'm the one who has to live with it, and I like it.
Attitude is everything!

Offline syrian sly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 07:26:34 AM »
thanks for the replies guys, and i have made the decision to grow it out and maybe pick a more modern style that is trimmer than just a full bear. and to bubba, its cool how her saying that dident make u trim it down;if someone said that to me,i would just think that everyone else is thinking it but dont say it.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:34:32 AM »
a goatee or chinstrap. but whenever it starts to look good and full is when my parents and uncles start telling me i look like a muslim.  im a chrisitian from the middle east  anyway im about to just ignore them and grow it out

Do your parents and uncles say that the Orthodox bishops, priests and even the Metropolitans & Patriarchs look like terrorists?  They're Christians too.  Your relatives are on a control freak binge, hold your ground--tell you'll shave when the Patriarch does >:D.

Offline syrian sly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 07:35:18 AM »
Boy, can I relate to you!  I'm 100% Middle Eastern, (Armenian), and go to an non-denominational church.  I was born in the States, and this woman at our church came up to me and told me that she's afraid of me because she's convinced that I'm a Middle Eastern terrorist!  She told me that I look like Saddam.  I told her that my relatives have been Christians for centuries, and that I am not a terrorist.  To this very day, she told me that I should trim my goat and that she'll ask me where my sheet is.  She'll even ask me if I've flown any planes into any buildings lately?  She's totally loopy!  I still have my goat.  I'm the one who has to live with it, and I like it.
[/quote]

by the way bubba, there is actually a very high population of armenians in syria. i have an aunt that is armenian and she speaks arabic and the armenian language.

Offline syrian sly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 07:36:49 AM »
a goatee or chinstrap. but whenever it starts to look good and full is when my parents and uncles start telling me i look like a muslim.  im a chrisitian from the middle east  anyway im about to just ignore them and grow it out

Do your parents and uncles say that the Orthodox bishops, priests and even the Metropolitans & Patriarchs look like terrorists?  They're Christians too.  Your relatives are on a control freak binge, hold your ground--tell you'll shave when the Patriarch does >:D.

thats actually a really good idea and im gonna use it O0

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 07:46:07 AM »
Most paintings show Jesus with a full beard.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline syrian sly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 09:12:48 AM »
Most paintings show Jesus with a full beard.

i think since im middle eastern,my parents are afraid that i might see discrimination in my day to day life. some people dont care about your religion,if your arabic then u might be a muslim extremist in their eyes. just another thing we have to deal with i guess.

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »
This to me, is a very sad thread and is indicative of why the human race is in the mess it is in today. I cant beleive that people are judging other people as terrorists because they have a beard. I send you support and encouragement to be yourself.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 11:01:41 AM »
Amen to that Scotty.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 11:02:20 AM »
they keep nagging me and saying tht i look like a terrorist

Syrian sly, what does a terrorist look like?  

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 11:11:24 AM »
While I don't look like a Mid-Eastern terrorist or sport a beard I can not understand the prejudices that many people have today.  I have left several churchs in my area due to this.  The last church treated me like I had the plague because I did not live in the area and I don't talk like a red neck.  Bubbaism is alive and strong in East Texas. 
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline syrian sly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 06:13:15 PM »
they keep nagging me and saying tht i look like a terrorist

Syrian sly, what does a terrorist look like?  

truthfully,a terrorist can look like anybody. its the image of a guy with a beard and turban tht get people thinking,usually only the devout muslims grow beards and my parents have this image from syria. over there if u had a beard u had to be muslim and a christian with a beard is like betraying your religion somehow. :/O

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 06:29:02 PM »
most Christian men in the Bible had a beard... 8)

Enter your email address: