Author Topic: About reference checks...  (Read 3836 times)

backseatview

About reference checks...
« on: June 09, 2010, 10:13:49 PM »
I have an interview tomorrow at a Hospital working in Human Resource Dept and I am super excited because I have never worked in such a field but my resume and my phone interview was enough to snag me an in person interview. But my question is... Do most places of work do reference checks before or after an interview? Im just curious because I am afraid my last employer is going to give me a bad reference because she hates me but before she fired me she told me how great I was (I was fired under false accusations btw in case no one saw my post about me getting fired).

So what do most places do in your experience? Most places I have worked has NEVER called for a reference...

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: About reference checks...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:44:51 PM »
The truth shall set you free. Be up front and honest, Integrity is imperative, regardless. Let them know about what happened at your previous job.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:51:37 PM by RyanJP »

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 11:52:46 PM »
The truth shall set you free. Be up front and honest, Integrity is imperative, regardless. Let them know about what happened at your previous job.

I totally agree with Ryan. ALSO, make sure you do not rundown, badmouth or otherwise disparage your former employer. Be cool, calm and collected (as best you can in an interview, which can be pretty stressful), and just state the facts. Good luck, mate!  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

marty22

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 05:32:57 AM »
keep your comments re prior employer to a minimum. get o the point and no bad-mouthing.

backseatview

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:09:25 AM »
The interview went great. I honestly dont think i got the job though lol... Oh well Im up to 40 applications/resumes out and 6 rejections so far.. Crossing my fingers for something... I got bills due at the end of the month lol...

When they brought up my last employer and why I was fired I gave them the professional response to it, actually spoke highly of the place

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 04:35:45 PM »
The interview went great. I honestly dont think i got the job though lol...

Think of it as a practice interview for your next one. Keep at it!   O0

To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline johnnyo

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 08:11:26 PM »
Good luck, I'm sure you will get something. You just have to keep a positive outlook.

Offline TGB1

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:12:53 PM »
A lot of smarter organizations in this litigious world we live in will only verify employment dates these days.
.....the quiet brightness of the city disconcerts. Somewhere malfeasance percolates. There is work to be done.

Pshrynk

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 10:07:56 PM »

This