Author Topic: A number of reactions...  (Read 10162 times)

Offline SlickCountry

• Sly
    • FirehouseChaplain.org
A number of reactions...
« on: March 27, 2007, 05:41:25 PM »
I've had a number of varied reactions to my newly shaved head.  Here are a couple:

My Mom said that I was not "Honoring my Father and Mother" by shaving my head.  I knew they would object, but that is a little harsh I think.

My boss said that he could "no longer see Christ in me."  Being a volunteer fire chaplain, I took offense at first, until I came to the conclusion that some people have a picture of what a Minister should look like and are not comfortable with breaking that norm.

My personal favorite reaction was from the Assistant Pastor at the church that we attend.  He said I could no longer sit directly under any of the lights because the glare was distracting him during the sermon.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: A number of reactions...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 05:50:01 PM »
My personal favorite reaction was from the Assistant Pastor at the church that we attend.  He said I could no longer sit directly under any of the lights because the glare was distracting him during the sermon.

:*))
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 06:26:31 PM »
 :*)) :*)) :*)) God works in Mysterious Ways O0
Peace

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 06:37:08 PM »
Certainly some varied reactions there, SlickCountry.  Glad to see you met them all with humor and a healthy Christian attitude.   
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline SlickCountry

• Sly
    • FirehouseChaplain.org
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 08:12:56 PM »
:*)) :*)) :*)) God works in Mysterious Ways O0
I couldn't agree more.  It has been said in this forum many times, but it is worth repeating, attitude and actions speak volumes that don't show up in outward appearances.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
Personally I think the more spiritual you are the less hair you have!   :*))

Bad Sarge Bad Sarge... go to your room!   >:(

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 11:21:23 PM »

:*)) :*)) That made me chuckle!

Offline ChallengeMe

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 11:31:39 PM »

My boss said that he could "no longer see Christ in me."  Being a volunteer fire chaplain, I took offense at first, until I came to the conclusion that some people have a picture of what a Minister should look like and are not comfortable with breaking that norm.

In many churches, the pastor must meet the preconceived idea of what a minister must look like. My pastor however is just like us; shaved head and goatee

Just remember, "God only made so many perfect heads. The rest he covered with hair." A friend made a tapestry many years ago with that saying on it for me.

Offline SlickCountry

• Sly
    • FirehouseChaplain.org
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 04:49:23 PM »
There is a lot of truth on this forum.  That's what I like about it.  Shaving my head makes me no less of a Minister or even a Christian.  Just like my earrings make me no less of a man.  We all have to pick our battles and "fight the good fight."  I happen to be winning the fight against my southbound hairline, but I think it may be a draw in the fight against the five o'clock velcro.  lol

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 05:09:58 PM »
There is a lot of truth on this forum.  That's what I like about it.  Shaving my head makes me no less of a Minister or even a Christian.  Just like my earrings make me no less of a man.  We all have to pick our battles and "fight the good fight."  I happen to be winning the fight against my southbound hairline, but I think it may be a draw in the fight against the five o'clock velcro.  lol
You got that dead right... Except for the Earing thing, any man that has one ear pierced, and it "Happens" to be his right, adroned with anything more intricate than a cross, a stud, or a Gold (silver and platnum also ok) ring, is practically long jumping out the closet!  $@y [J/K]
Peace

Offline SlickCountry

• Sly
    • FirehouseChaplain.org
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 05:43:53 PM »
You got that dead right... Except for the Earing thing, any man that has one ear pierced, and it "Happens" to be his right, adroned with anything more intricate than a cross, a stud, or a Gold (silver and platnum also ok) ring, is practically long jumping out the closet!  $@y [J/K]
[/quote]

You may have a valid point there.  lol

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 05:50:19 PM »
slick..i think this would be a good topic for a sermon in your church one day.....and see how they react to it......if they still treat you differently because your bald and wear ear rings  ,ya might want to rethink your association with that certain church..
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline SlickCountry

• Sly
    • FirehouseChaplain.org
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 06:07:36 PM »
slick..i think this would be a good topic for a sermon in your church one day.....and see how they react to it......if they still treat you differently because your bald and wear ear rings  ,ya might want to rethink your association with that certain church..

None of my negative reactions have been from anyone in my church.  But all of my reactions here have been from church goers.

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 06:10:18 PM »
ah ok...i misunderstood then..thought people from your church was giving you a hard time also..
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline SlickCountry

• Sly
    • FirehouseChaplain.org
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 06:31:55 PM »
No prob.  My friends and fellow church goers have been cool about my new look.  I have been the brunt of a couple of good jokes, but that's to be expected with any change of that magnitude.