Author Topic: I got fired....  (Read 5281 times)

backseatview

I got fired....
« on: June 01, 2010, 03:05:02 PM »
So I got fired today. Needless to say I cried like a little girl haha. I have no family, and few friends so I pour my all into my job. I wasnt fired for my work performance because it exceeded what was expected of me... But I was fired over some employees who was angry at me for telling them to stay off their cellphones. They lied and said all I did at work was stay drunk, that I touched them (the female employees) in bad places (but I am a gay man and everyone there knew that). I tried talking with my boss and she wouldnt hear me out... Im pretty depressed right now because where I live the only thing you can really do is sell drugs or work in the coal mines...

I was a asst manager at a fairly large hotel

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
Re: I got fired....
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 03:08:06 PM »
Umm  that reeks of lawsuit  :popo

(|8-)

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 03:46:48 PM »
Is there anyone above your ex-boss you could talk to over coffee, or someone else there who you trust?  It won't help immediately, but if what you say is true, it will eventually become obvious to your ex-boss's boss that you were the one holding things together and that your ex-boss is impulsive and easily manipulated.  At that point, they'll need you back.  In the meantime, if there is someone there who can speak to the good work you did, it will help to have a reference while you're looking for something else.

I've been fired for pointing out substandard work, too.  Years later, the founder of that company hired me for another company he started after he learned the hard way that I was the honest and insightful one during that mess.  (The founder wasn't the one who fired me--the VP in charge was a friend of the guy who built all the stuff that didn't work, and it was easier for him to believe his friend than me.)

Good luck!

Offline InProgress

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 03:55:32 PM »
I feel for you. That's disgusting. And ironic that they would invent fake sexual harassment charges... considering that it's perfectly legal to fire people for being gay in West Virginia (and 28 other states*). If the job is worth returning to, you might consider threatening to sue. Sometimes the threat alone can scare employers that know they're guilty of wrongful termination. Or you really might have a case.

Or maybe it's time to get out of a place where all you can do is sell drugs and work in coal mines. Idk what your options are. Good luck to you. Maybe this will turn out to be the start of an adventure, or better opportunities.

*http://www.hrc.org/sites/passendanow/index.asp

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
  • Any idiot can take a good pic w/ a digital camera!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 04:03:46 PM »
I hate to hear of you situation.  My boss for the last 20 years has a 24 hour rule.  When disaster strikes, think things over for 24 hours before acting.  Most disasters can wait till you have given yourself time to think and have, or try to have, a night to sleep on it.  Maybe it you worked for a chain you can get a transfer.  
Talk to your boss tomorrow.  Perhaps she will reconsider her actions.  

marty22

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »
get your thoughts together; get your friends in your corner and try to move on. Unless you feel an attorney can help.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 04:10:23 PM »
While getting fired sucks, it usually leads to bigger and better things.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 04:12:23 PM »
Personally, I think your best action is to fight it if you feel your firing was unjustified.
Future employers may be interested in knowing why you left your prior jobs and under what circumstances.

Good luck!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline johnnyo

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
It seems like you have a good case to talk to the Department Of Labor for unlawful termination. Also, you can file for unemployment insurance, if you are denied, you can file an appeal and then it will go in front of an appeals officer and the real truth will come out. If your xboss fired you for other reasons then you may have other recourses. Document everything that has happened so far so you have written proof. Good luck.

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 07:31:14 PM »
While getting fired sucks, it usually leads to bigger and better things.

I agree with Tyler, yet I absolutely hate the saying everything happens for a reason. Its obviously wrongful termination and you have every right to take your claim to the state labor board, generally they will hear you out and what sounds to me is there is obvious validity to foul play, not to to mention there could be potential for a lawsuit for defamation of character as well as the wrongful termination ( where's Saint when you need him ??? )

If your fellow co-workers, files back up your claim that you have beyond exceptional conduct and stellar work performance there's more ammo for you.

backseatview

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 08:35:39 PM »
thanks guys :)

im drunk as hell right now.. it was either get drunk or plan the downfall of Marriott Intertnational

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 08:37:48 PM »
I got fired for allegedly knocking a hole in a wall. I am too, a gay man, and not to perpetuate stereotypes, but I have never knocked a hole in any wall. Or woman.

On the bright side, I found a better job less than a week later, and this was in the midst of last years deepening recession. Not that the job market is any better now, but maybe this incident will open a new door.

Good luck.

GASlick

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 11:24:37 AM »
Sorry you got fired, but I DO agree with Tyler.  Bigger and better things are on the way. :)

Offline SlyBaldDude

• Sly
    • Standing Out In the Crowd
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 08:05:33 AM »
I got fired from my last job for no particular reason except the boss wanted to go a different direction fed to him buy a guy he knew who said he was smarter than me.  I was depressed for a year .. and decided I would never put myself in a possession where I could get fired again!  If I had not been fired I would never have started a business.  It is gratifying to se *my* dream go and not be working for somebody else s dream.  Now if I fail I have nobody to blame but me!

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 08:18:22 AM »
Same situation with a guy on the forum  a few months ago  -   worked for a hotel -as assistant manager  - -worked for a woman  - - - was gay - - -Are you the same guy?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:20:07 AM by mangosink12572 »

Enter your email address: