Author Topic: "The Road"; anybody seen it yet?  (Read 1801 times)

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
"The Road"; anybody seen it yet?
« on: May 26, 2010, 01:08:50 PM »
I got lucky and rented "The Road" on its first day out. Shocking movie. Anybody else seen it?
This is from a book of the same name by Cormack McCarthy which I read a couple of years ago. He is the same man who wrote "All the Pretty Horses", "No Country for Old Men", and "Blood Meridian". Quite the thinker if you know anything about him.
Doesn't paint a real pretty picture of the future.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

gmac221

Re: "The Road"; anybody seen it yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:20:29 AM »
I thought it was an amazing film.  I loved the lighting in it, really gave it that gloomy feel.  Cant say I like all the long hair though  :*))

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 01:56:50 PM »
I have it on my Netflix list. Looking forward to it.

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 02:35:55 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed, and highly recommend the "Road." I was fortunate enough to see this picture in pre-release form last year. To my mind, this is a brilliant movie! On one level it most certainly "doesn't paint a real pretty picture of the future" as you pointed out, but on another level it exalts the human spirit and the ability, for the warrior/survivors among us, to maintain true human dignity and compassion in the face of virtually insurmountable odds. Have to give this one the Ozzie Thumbs-Up.   O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 08:01:57 PM »
Awesome, awesome movie.  O0 Although I do feel like I should start stockpiling food...

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:58:33 AM »
No, nor was I aware that McCarthy wrote it  ???
He's one of the best authors in this century IMO.

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 02:13:15 AM »
Yes, finally, after the studio delayed the release date of the DVD a few times, and already fuming because it never showed in any theater in my area! I read the book a few months back, and was thoroughly impressed. I wanted to see how the movie compared to the book - in general, I've found that movie adaptations of books are stinking, pale imitations.

This movie actually captured the "flavor" of the book pretty darned well! The movie is a bleak journey, but one well worth taking. See this one, you won't regret it.

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 08:04:18 AM »
Speaking of bleak, I was surprised to hear Dave Ramsey mention a reference to a financial person when he was talking about the tax increases that are scheduled to occur at the end of this year. Dave mentioned that the financial person is predicting some sort of economic collapse and Dave seemed to tie it in with the increased taxes having a negative effect on the production of the economy, and so on.  :o

I have heard similar things from other financial sources.  Gee, I hope these guys are wrong, and the guy in the head office nips it in the bud...!

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 01:29:13 PM »
Very good movie.....still need to grab the book and give it a go.  Nice little performance by Robert Duvall, and of course Viggo.