Author Topic: The Countdown  (Read 12561 times)

Offline timetobeme

• Sly
The Countdown
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:51:10 PM »

Well, my soon to be bald bros, I was on for my near nightly stop at the forum and decided to make this post.  I was looking back at the original date that I posted my first comment.  I believe it was March 1 ( http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=12255.0 ) for those that are interested.  I had been thinking about becoming sly for a few years, but after discovering this site it was like a light bulb went off that night.  I remember crawling into bed that night and feeling so good about myself.  No longer was I to remain a slave to MPB and the horrors of hair pieces, but on that night I felt free.  I set my date and I felt so good about the decision.

A lot of people may not understand the date setting, but for me it was huge.  I have ran a marathon and I have been a competitive bodybuilder so the idea of having a goal to work towards was powerful.  Not a day would go by when I would not think about being free.  I would go through the entire range of emotions from excitement, to fear, but never once did backing out come to mind.  As the date draws near I am very excited and still very nervous but I am so looking forward to the freedom that being sly will mean.  For example, tonight as I was reading to my son and  he was playing with my hair.  I had to guide his hand away from the edge so I wouldn't have to answer an embarrassing question, and that my friends is one of my main motivators!  Showing my sons that it is okay to be who you are.  To show them that what is on top of your head has zero relevance for who you are as a person.

Anyway, back to my date.  The one problem when you set a date that far ahead, is that there can be some unexpected changes.  I chose that date because it is a transitional time for me at work, unfortunately that transition time got bumped back a week.  So, June 1, after my boys are tucked into bed, I plan to buzz my hair down with just a guard and then shower and unleash the new Mach 3 I have been saving for this situation.

To the awesome members of the Sly Nation, thank you for giving me the courage to be the person that God created, complete with a shiny dome!

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: The Countdown
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:44:16 PM »
 I`ll be glued too the computer waiting for the day . . O:O

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 01:51:33 AM »
Your journey has captured the purpose and earned the camaraderie of the SBG's.  What has impressed me most is that over and above the freedom you will gain on June 1, is that you are going to provide freedom by example to your sons should they also have the mpb trait--and since you're in the field of education this example will spread out to all the students who know you now, and those who you will know in the future.  The idea that you found it here on SBG is a testament to the site as the purveyor of what is the only safe and sane response to this situation.

But, most of all, you're going to be freed of the sensation that people judge you by what's on top of your head rather than in your head. 

Enjoy the freedom.

And strange you should do this during the year that the Saints, whose fans wore bags when their Boys in Black were in the sewer of professional football, won the Superbowl and put their bags aside too.

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:18:45 AM »
Get it done you will not regret it! then get a new picture without the bag :)

Good luck man hope you enjoy the look when you finally do it.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 05:41:01 AM »
looking forward to seein it done and a new pic without the bag, my friend. O0

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 06:35:18 AM »
Ah the old "stay away from the edge" challenge -- or for our friends in London -- "mind the gap!"   As I race towards my 6 month sly anniversary - 6 months without worrying about how my hair piece looks - I can attest to the freedom, happiness, and the significant boost in self confidence.    Its great that you are showing your boys that its ok to just be yourself and not hide behind a dead piece of fake fur. 

usmcpelon

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:46:55 AM »
The drama must be nerve racking.  It’s only 8 days away.  It will be a day to remember and a day of freedom for you.  Good luck and post a pic.

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 12:40:45 PM »
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline DrewH

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 07:27:13 AM »
I've been sly for 5 days and it's truly a rebirth for me.

I went from not setting foot outside my front door without my trusty hat to not having touched it since.

Hopefully you can ditch that trusty smiley bag!   ;D

Until then we wait in anticipation.
Sly since May 21, 2010!

Offline TGB1

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 09:43:10 AM »
Looking forward to seeing you as you enter into the SLY phase.
.....the quiet brightness of the city disconcerts. Somewhere malfeasance percolates. There is work to be done.

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
  • Any idiot can take a good pic w/ a digital camera!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 10:12:58 AM »
I set dates also, and had to move them for one reason or another.  I went with a #1 buzz for a couple of weeks before shaving.  That let me get used to the change.  I'd encourage you to keep a few pre-shave photos handy.  It's only natural to have some lack of confidence early on.  When you look at the photos, you will know you did the right thing.  My wife did a  slide show last week with our Cub Scout Pack of the last couple of years.  I felt very good about shaving after seeing myself.   Not a day goes by now without someone saying they like what I've done with my hair!

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 01:31:02 PM »
I look forward to seeing  that "bag" taken from your head

June 1st sounds great

We are all looking forward to seeing the real you   SLY BALD

Offline timetobeme

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 09:41:43 PM »
Well, my bald brothers, when you hear from me again I will be as smooth as a baby's bottom.  I have all of my supplies in hand-electric trimmer, mach 3, witch hazel, exfoliant, and a bag full of courage!  I'm ready, it's time, let's get'r done...tomorrow.

Offline samtheman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 09:54:58 PM »
Good luck! And keep a camera near by!

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 10:18:26 PM »
Well, my bald brothers, when you hear from me again I will be as smooth as a baby's bottom.  I have all of my supplies in hand-electric trimmer, mach 3, witch hazel, exfoliant, and a bag full of courage!  I'm ready, it's time, let's get'r done...tomorrow.

we're looking forward to it. Post a pic of the slick dome when you're done !
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0