Author Topic: Curiosity In The Workplace  (Read 1653 times)

Offline SlyBaldDude

• Sly
    • Standing Out In the Crowd
Curiosity In The Workplace
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:41:51 AM »
I have been self employed for the last three years.  www.EasternOregonLeather.com is my business,  and so far its pretty successful.  I enjoy my work but I sit most of the day and I'm getting flabby .. um .. ok,  "flabbier". 

Last month I took a job from a friend pumping gas at a local shell station.  Its been a long while since I've worked for minimum wage but I am holding myself to 16 hours a week.  I am really enjoying the exercise which was the main reason for taking the job.  I just needed to get out of the house.  I feel more energetic,  I enjoy talking to people and I've sold a few cuffs by wearing them on the job.

So what does this have to do with being BBC?  Most of the people I work with are young in high school or early 20's.  The manager is in her 70's.  They all have great interest in my baldness.  Almost every day I work I get questions like,  "Do you do it yourself?"  "Does it hurt?"  "Are you cold?"  "Why is it so shiny?"  "What if you cut yourself?"

I am happy to entertain all questions.  I love being sly .. this is my 5th year or so and I wouldn't go back.  No,  it doesn't hurt.  It is shiny because I put lube on it.  I rarely cut myself,  I am pretty superficial with the blade.  Yes,  I do it myself every morning.

usmcpelon

Re: Curiosity In The Workplace
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:10:42 PM »
I get the same reaction from new clients and old.  I’ve only been on this new job for about 9 months, and being new to the old and new clients, everybody has questions about my bald head.  Everyone is curious when it come to a bald head up close.  They want to touch it, feel it, and look at it close up, especially the ladies.  There is this one gal who constantly calls me up and wants to know when I am going to stop by and chat with her.  She just stare at my bald head and I know she want to touch it and caress it.  I have sent my assistant, who is also bald, but she prefers bald me to visit.

As a guy who always sports a high & tight horseshoe flattop, I used to get a lot of respect and more attention then the long haired guys.  Being bald makes it a lot better and bring in a lot of question from the curious crowd.

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »
I am in a field service job, calling on clients basically quarterly with three to five different contacts each day.  Of all the people I come into contact with, only two have made any mention of my baldness.  One is a sly ex-marine who sometimes refers to me as "slick", and the other is a guy who said he wishes he had the nerve to do it.  Other than that, its pretty much a non-issue.

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 06:45:02 AM »
Nice leather work!  Great to see another Oregonian on the group.

Offline chaucer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 05:56:14 PM »
very nice...I'm envious!