Author Topic: Thank you, sly bald guys  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Layokk

• Sly Guy in Training
Thank you, sly bald guys
« on: May 06, 2010, 05:25:41 PM »
I noticed my hair thinning at 25.  It really was pretty minor and by itself didn't bother me. What bothered me was that I knew MPB was progressive and I fretted about what the future held. It very slowly progressed over the following 6-7 years.  Slow enough where I didn't really care. Around the 7th year, the progression sped up rapidly. By the 8th year, i was sporting a combover.  This got to the point where I became extremely self conscious.  I knew something had to be done. I was *very* tempted by FHT but hated the thought of going through the expense, etc only to not like the results.

Finally, on this the 10th anniversary of me noticing my hair loss, I manned up and shaved it off.  A lot of my decision was helped along by lurking on this forum.  Reading the mostly positive responses to shaving it off helped me do what I think is the right thing. It is my 35th birthday today and I shaved (not slick but at least with a #2). It is such a relief to kill that ridiculous combover. I don't nervously turn my head into the wind and quickly readjust every time I get back inside. I don't cringe every time I see a picture and realize my hair is a lot worse than I imagined.

It's only been one day and I already love it. I am who I am and am happy! :)  Thanks SBG

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
Re: Thank you, sly bald guys
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 05:57:03 PM »
Welcome and Happy Birthday!  Glad you  ditched the comb over.   O0

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 06:50:27 PM »
Congratulations, and Happy Birthday!  b$@Y
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:14:22 PM »
congrats, you should just bic it, it would look much better on you, ,
i was in the same situation 6 to 7 years, i noticed thinning and recedding, if i go a day without shaving, it is very noticeable,
The only person in my family that i know of that has ever had a full head of hair is my dad, both of my grandfathers were bald, most of uncles were or are bald, and all of my cousins have balding hairlines, most are using drugs, rugs and plugs, iam the only one that has ever gone the shaved route

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 07:25:14 AM »
Welcome.  Totally understand the flight from combover--that just sort of sneaks up on you while you're consciously and unconsciously in denial.  And, this I can promise, taking it to the bone, that first total shave is even more of a release than the buzz.  When you go through the excitment of taking the razor straight back through the middle, exposing the clean skin on your scalp, commiting yourself to finish the job--it's electric.  Then, after finishing up rinsing off, and drying your scalp, removing the towel and seeing the new, the real you in the mirror--well, words fail to contain what a wonderful sensation that is.  You're really going to like it. 

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 07:46:39 AM »
Welcome to the group,  happy birthday, and congrats on taking the first step.   Like Saint said -- take it to the next level and shave it off.  You'll be so much happier being totally sly than looking like a guy who is losing his hair.   Its not as dramatic as well all make it out to be - before we take the plunge.   You're close enough to being sly now that the transformation isn't going to be a big shock.   

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
  • Any idiot can take a good pic w/ a digital camera!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 10:19:45 AM »
Hey, I recently turned 45 and I just went #1 last weekend.  It feels great.  Good luck and congratulations on the cut!  This forum has been a great help to me too.  I may try for sly soon. Take care

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 01:51:07 PM »
Congrats on your decision and Happy Birthday!  O0
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Layokk

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Thanks again, everyone. :) I dropped it to a #1 today and prefer that. It might take a little while to go full sly. My 3 year old son is still a little freaked out by the whole thing and keeps saying "Just grow your hair back." Heh.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 10:15:55 AM »
You'll be slick soon.  I did the same thing... went shorter and shorter... couldn't resist seeing what I would look like slick.  Don't worry about the family - they will get used to it eventually.  You just have to stick to your guns.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Layokk

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 05:00:14 PM »
Yikes, just saw some pictures of myself from my karate belt test last weekend... I had no idea the horseshoe was that visible. Will definitely be going full sly now.

Offline Mikemc411

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 08:17:08 AM »
My story is exaclty the same.....

I remember being in Biloxi right after Katrina repairing my sisters roof, my dad, standing higher on the roof commented "Son-- you need to look into the hair club for men"

That comment is cemented into my memory....

Today is my 30 days anniversary !! I have been considering shaving my head for awhile now... I started researching it and came across this board... It gave me the courage to take the last step.....

I now have a routine, my head has toughend up, I look forward to shaving and love the smooth fresh shaved feel...

I will never let my hair grow back,  has anyone ever found someone to admit that male pattern baldness is attractive? I know plenty of women that admit that bald is "hot"- my wife being one of them....  When I surf this site from home, she is always oohing and ahhing at the profile pics....

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 02:15:53 PM »
I don't know how I missed this thread originally. I'm glad I saw it now. Congrats to all you guys that are recently shaved and those well on their way.
Way to grab your lives back and make them your own again.......
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields