Author Topic: 21, Should I say its for MPB?  (Read 6790 times)

Offline CarlCarl

• Sly Guy in Training
21, Should I say its for MPB?
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:35:47 PM »
Hey SBG's

I'm 21 and just shaved my head two days ago for the first time.  I think it looks okay but nobody I know has seen it yet.  My friends are coming into town tomorrow, so I’m worried how I‘m going to deal with there questions.  I've had shoulder-length red hair most of my life, so I’m sure everyone will be curious why I did something like this to myself.

The thing is, I don’t think it was obvious to everyone that I was going bald.  My hair was really bothering me personally, and judging by how fast it was falling out I probably have 12 months before it looks like total crap.  So I’m glad I spared myself the misery (it’s thinning everywhere on top all at once).  But I still think everyone will be confused why I did something so drastic.

I want to be honest with people and just say “I’m going to be bald in a few years, so I wanted to see how I looked with a shaved head.” That way people see that I’m not embarrassed by my hairloss or trying to hide it.  But if I’m that candid about it, it might be even more awkward than not saying anything at all.  I hate that there is such a big stigma about losing your hair when you’re this young

So what’s been your experience telling people you’re going bald, especially the younger guys?  Are you honest with friends or do you just say you like it shaved?

Carl

(Removed the photos)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:24:33 PM by CarlCarl »

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: 21, Should I say its for MPB?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 04:57:04 PM »
You owe nobody an explanation. Did you shave because you wanted to? Of course. That's all you need to say. Simple.

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:48:58 PM »
You don't owe anyone (friends or family) any explanation for your decision to go SLY.. In fact, I wouldn't say anything at all. Let your out of town  friends be the first to comment. You just may be surprised at the compliments you will hear.

And if, by chance, you hear a negative comment or two.. so what??!. 

As long as you feel good about you, then that's all that should matter.

Whatever your choice, let it be YOUR CHOICE, not anyone's else's decision!!

-Cap'n Noodles-

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 06:11:12 PM »
Bear & Noodles are right, and besides--it looks great w/ the beard, I don't think it's going to be anything but compliments and guys telling you they're going to do it too.  Great look.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:23:41 PM »
It looks great.  You did the right thing in beating Mother Nature to the punch.  Now just stand your ground and stick with what you want.

Offline CarlCarl

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 07:25:38 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I think I'm just overthinking things (I tend to do that).

I called some people and told them I shaved my head.  They're all curious to see it, but nobody really asked why I did it.  I'm sure I'll get a few questions as time goes on, but I doubt people are going to grill me for answers.  I'm probably just paranoid

marty22

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »
welcome Carl and good pic.

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 08:11:49 PM »
I think it suits you just fine!  Congratulations  O0

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »
Your a natural - - - Looks Great        O0

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 08:50:04 PM »
It looks great, Carl.  You made the right decision.
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 09:05:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I think I'm just overthinking things (I tend to do that).

I called some people and told them I shaved my head.  They're all curious to see it, but nobody really asked why I did it.  I'm sure I'll get a few questions as time goes on, but I doubt people are going to grill me for answers.  I'm probably just paranoid

You can do things like this at 21 without getting too much of a hard time from people.  As you get older, people seem to be less tolerant of experiments with your appearance.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 09:52:48 PM »
Just be honest about it.  You don't have to disclose anything you don't want to, but if they ask, may as well just tell them.  They're your friends; they're not going to hate you for losing your hair or anything.  ;D

Btw, you have what appears to be an excellent head shape and I'm super jealous of your ability to grow a beard!  5t*mp  Mine's all stupid and patchy ><
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 09:53:47 PM »
 8)
As you get older, people seem to be less tolerant of experiments with your appearance.
That may be true, but most of us also get to the point where we could care less about the intolerant!  8)

Offline CarlCarl

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 11:22:49 PM »
Just be honest about it.  You don't have to disclose anything you don't want to, but if they ask, may as well just tell them.  They're your friends; they're not going to hate you for losing your hair or anything.  ;D

This is pretty much what I was thinking.  I don't plan on lying about it, but I won't bring up my hairloss unless they ask about it.  I think most people wouldn't want to talk about it anyways.

I decided to take my photos down.  PM me if you want to see them

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 01:50:36 AM »
8)
As you get older, people seem to be less tolerant of experiments with your appearance.
That may be true, but most of us also get to the point where we could care less about the intolerant!  8)

O0 Right on! (Does that give away my age?).
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.