Author Topic: Sales Tax on Grooming  (Read 3906 times)

usmcpelon

Sales Tax on Grooming
« on: May 03, 2010, 12:05:24 PM »
Several State are drawing up legistation to tax personal grooming.  That includes haircut and head shaves.  Lucky us bald guy who shave at home.  If I were to get a head shave at my local barber shop, I would pay up to 2.48 in sales tax for my shaved head.  What do you guys think about that?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Sales Tax on Grooming
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 12:13:34 PM »
Not only states but cities and towns are also now looking at putting a sales tax on all services, not just haircuts.  This will be a big battle, for example in most states it isn't the legislature that regulates attorneys, they are the domain of the State Supreme Court in many instances.  So count on some really contested battles over this aspect of increasing the cash--euphemism in government talk is "resources." 
One thing the state legislatures aren't too adamant about is cutting the size of the legislator's pay, perks, retirement or the workhorse for getting immediate money/resources into their own pocket--the per diem & millage. 

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:50:04 PM »
You think you guys have problems? Try living in the UK. We have sales tax (VAT) on everything except food, childrens clothing and books and newspapers. Our petrol is £1.24 a litre. I will let you convert that to dollars. And then they wonder why less people are coming here on holiday  :(
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:24:45 PM »
You think you guys have problems? Try living in the UK. We have sales tax (VAT) on everything except food, childrens clothing and books and newspapers. Our petrol is £1.24 a litre. I will let you convert that to dollars. And then they wonder why less people are coming here on holiday  :(

Oh there are rumblings about VAT here too.  That's got the natives up in arms. 

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 04:14:04 PM »
FAIR TAX FOR THE WIN. Discuss.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 06:07:56 PM »
Several State are drawing up legistation to tax personal grooming.  That includes haircut and head shaves.  Lucky us bald guy who shave at home.  If I were to get a head shave at my local barber shop, I would pay up to 2.48 in sales tax for my shaved head.  What do you guys think about that?

We might still be liable for those taxes.  Since we shave our own heads we are reducing the demand for head shaving services in the marketplace.  Therefore our activity must be regulated and taxed by the government.(*)  This will probably be solved with a simple head shaving license with a nominal annual fee of $200.

(*) Don't laugh, something like this actually happened during the New Deal to a farmer who grew wheat on his farm for his own use. 
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 06:09:36 PM »
FAIR TAX FOR THE WIN. Discuss.

Woo-hoo!

But Dale's Dead Bug doesn't pay taxes anyway.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 04:15:34 PM »
So how's that "Change" working out for ya'???  ;)
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 04:27:48 PM »
You should live in New York - - -We get taxed for everything  - - -I always paid a tax for Dog Grooming  - -so why not people  - -they get it where they can

We are lucky  - - -NO HAIR

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 06:04:41 AM »
Let's face it, we're screwed. Every time we get a "tax cut" don't you think that "they" stick something else in somewhere else? Car licenses, for example. When we lived in Colorado they had a fee structure for license plates that "taxed" newer cars higher than old $h!tboxes. So somebody who went out and bought a new Prius had to pay $300 for plates while somebody with a '68 Impala that belched black smoke maybe only paid $50. Up here in WI they jacked up certain "fees" like state park stickers and fishing/hunting licenses and then make a big deal about our "tax" rate not going up.
So I fully expect to get bent over on a repetitive basis. But the secret to reducing my level of suffering with all of this is to reduce my level of expectations from our elected leaders. If I think that they will do the absolute worst and stupidest thing with regard to the well being of the middle class I will never be disappointed.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline kenny57028

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 08:30:34 PM »
I couldnt see me getting my head shaved by someone else. It's easier and more cost effective to do it myself.
The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the Past better than it was,
the Present worse than it is & the future less resolved than it will be.