Author Topic: Sly for dandruff/psoriasis  (Read 8789 times)

Offline jrmcc999

• Learning the way of Sly
Sly for dandruff/psoriasis
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:09:59 PM »
All,

I've been plagued with scalp flaking and itching forever (since teen years), especially on one side.  It's gotten worse the past couple of years.  I don't know if it's stress or what.  It's a nightmare, and I've been to the dermatologist.  The only  thing that worked with the itching was a steroid foam, and it caused white sheet-like patches of peeling skin, similar to when a sunburn heals.  I've tried every shampoo and greasy medication I can find.  Nothing works.  I have advanced MPB, and I have no problem buzzing my hair to #1.  However, the pink flaky skin shows thru.  I've read that head shaving can help the flaking.  I don't know why this is.  Does anybody know?  The doctor could not explain why my red, flaky skin pretty much occurred ONLY where there was some hair.  What's up with that?  Why would my forehead not have it?  It must be related to the follicles.  Anyway, my QUESTION is this - to those who saw psoriasis/dandruff improve with a razor shave, how LONG did it take?  I dread taking the plunge and then having pink lizard skin at work.  No offense, but I'd keep my hair #3 if I didn't have severe dandruff (assuming the sly treatment can cure it).  All that being said, my MPB isn't pretty.  I'm not too far off from the "horseshoe", "bozo ring", "toilet seat" or whatever other hilarious term I've seen on here.  I think I look good from the front, and then I look at the back and top.  GAG.  From time to time I think of a guy from my college days (mid 80s).  He had a late 70s leftover puffy bozo ring.  I cannot believe that was ever acceptable.  He looked like he wanted to cry basically.  I now know why.  He was in the wrong era and stuck with his ludicrous shag carpet toilet seat ring around his head.  Anyway, please help me with the skin condition - how long before it clears up in anybody's experience?  I bought a Headblade the other day.  So, I'm weighing my options.  I have the usual fears that a white guy has.  I've never seen a black guy here, and relatively few Hispanics.  I think it's because it's accepted for them, and the pink guys struggle.

JayMack

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
Re: Sly for dandruff/psoriasis
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 02:57:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum! I also had pretty bad dandruff and red splotches when I had hair. It does go away if you shave your head- I don't know why either. But, before I shaved it all off, I wore a flat top and buzz cut for many years. I found that any type of lotion or balm that contained Lanolin helped tremendously with dandruff and getting rid of the red blotches. One that is fairly easy to find is Bag Balm

http://www.bagbalm.com/

Many drugstores carry it. Axe also makes a hair paste (in a black bucket with yellow writing that says Whatever/ Messy look) that is mostly Lanolin. Right before I went bald, it was actually the AXE paste that got rid of the dandruff when I had a flat top. In a week's time, everything cleared up and I had no problems after that.

Anyway, that's what worked for me.
- Eric W-

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 04:00:41 AM »
I had what you could call "chronic" dandruff/excessive oil production on my scalp that no shampoo could touch to my satisfaction.  Going sly solved that for me - the problem went away immediately!!  The dandruff issue wasn't why I went the sly route, but it was a very happy side-effect!!  :)
MikeC

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
Going sly was the best thing for me in dealing with my seborrheic dermatitis. I've likened shaving my head to exfolliating. No hair, no problem!

Good luck!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 07:10:26 AM »
Buzzcut for years, same kind of problem, shaved and let the fresh air and sunshine do their thing and cleared up almost immediately. Go for it.

Offline Xanwolf1337

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 07:15:11 AM »
Welcome to the forum mate O0.

Shaving might help your head because you wont have to use shampoos on your head if you dont want and like you said you dont have any of the flaking on your forehead as it is exposed to the sun and elements, whereas under your hair is it oily and protected. For example when i have grown facial hair long in the past i have had tonnes...literally tonnes of dandruff/flaky stuff in between the hair, so i shaved it all of and my face went back to normal.

I say give shaving a try at the weekend and keep your head moisturised and see how it goes mate.

Good luck :).

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 06:30:07 AM »
Welcome to the Forum jmcc!

As the other guys have said... shaving alleviates all kind of scalp conditions.... and quickly for most.
It sounds to me like the bigger hurdle for you may bethe actual act of shaving your head the first time. It's not as big a deal as you think.... believe me..... and yes.... I'm a life long "pink guy"...........

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 08:42:53 AM »
welcome, you have the same problem i had when i had hair, shaving my head took away the itchy scalp and the scratching of dandriff flakes, girls never wnted to be close to me when i was scratching the flakes out of my hair, bald is the only chocie for me and iam very happy with being bald, i will have it no other way

Offline jrmcc999

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 09:03:28 PM »
Thanks, all, for the encouragement.  I took the "plunge" today.  The process itself went very well.  I applaud the inventors of the Headblade device.  I didn't have a single cut or scrape.  THEN, I looked in the mirror.  My huge red patches are there for the whole world to see.  They are UGLY.  It's funny how they never extended to my forehead or neck.  I guess I should have known.  We'll see what happens.  I do have medicine samples that my dermatologist gave me long ago, and now they will be able to reach the skin directly and not be gunked in the hair.  I might go to the beach tomorrow to make my whole head turn red  :px  OK, WRONG.  I'm already a skin cancer candidate.  I'll look for Jergens Natural Glow.  Would it be with the sunscreen/tanning products?  I'll worry about a picture if I can get some of this red to go away.  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:30:11 PM by jrmcc999 »
JayMack

Offline ManCaveMilitia

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 12:58:46 AM »
I've had the same issues for years as well. I went sly years ago, but have been pretty sporatic when it comes to daily shaving. I've noticed that if I go for too long without shaving it comes right back. Using clippers to take it down to fuzz and then shaving smooth starts the healing process and the red splotches are usually gone within 24 to 48 hours.

I get the same thing on my beard, but I practically look like a kid if I shave both.

Pshrynk

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 02:53:13 PM »
I have seborrhoeic dermatitis (where I have hair left  ;)) -- buzzes and smooth shaves are the best way to control/manage it for me.

Offline fcb2001

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 08:11:10 PM »
youre a smart man for taking a plunge, the red patches took about 10 days to clear when i took the plunge about 6 years, if i shave everyday and dont allow a couple days growth then you risk the red patches.

Thanks, all, for the encouragement.  I took the "plunge" today.  The process itself went very well.  I applaud the inventors of the Headblade device.  I didn't have a single cut or scrape.  THEN, I looked in the mirror.  My huge red patches are there for the whole world to see.  They are UGLY.  It's funny how they never extended to my forehead or neck.  I guess I should have known.  We'll see what happens.  I do have medicine samples that my dermatologist gave me long ago, and now they will be able to reach the skin directly and not be gunked in the hair.  I might go to the beach tomorrow to make my whole head turn red  :px  OK, WRONG.  I'm already a skin cancer candidate.  I'll look for Jergens Natural Glow.  Would it be with the sunscreen/tanning products?  I'll worry about a picture if I can get some of this red to go away.  Thanks again!

Offline fcb2001

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 08:13:23 PM »
btw, depending where you live you will need to wear sunscreen, i live at altitude about 5000 feet above sea level, i wear 50 spf sunblock.

Enter your email address: