Author Topic: The eat better and do more plan  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
The eat better and do more plan
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:23:17 AM »
Now, to put this in a bit of context up until my current job I have always worked in the field of physical activity and public health.  As a result I have never ever been a fan of plans, or fad diets etc as they so rarely work mainly as a result of the fact that they are unsustainable.  Participants often reach their target and then stop and enter a process of yo yoing which then affects their metabolism and ability to lose weight again. 

I spent many years watching my ex's mother do exactly that. 

Since I took my new job and had a baby my life has become more than a little hectic and so I have got a little out of shape.  So a month ago I decided just to make some positive changes that hopefully will be sustainable. 

So first of all I started with the diet.  Nothing radical, just cutting out between meal eating, better portion control and thinking a little more about what we cook.  I am also making a conscious effort to drink less and will normally just settle for a bottle of wine with the wife on a weekend.  Since making those changes I have shed 14lbs. 

I am a tall guy 6ft 4 and weighed 245lb initially.  I certainly have never looked fat, but just a bit chunky!

The weight still seems to be coming off too which is great. 

The next step is the exercise and this is the bit I am really struggling with.  I used to be a rower when I lived in my last city but that isnt possible now as it is too much commitment and i live nowhere near a river.  So I have to find something else.  I hate jogging and am not keen on swimming.  I am thinking of joining a gym for lunchtimes, not sure but shedding those initial pounds has really given me the motivation to kick on!

A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!

Offline lifeinthesouth

• Sly Jr.
Re: The eat better and do more plan
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:55:51 AM »
Sounds like you are on your way. I too have been trying to be more watchful of what I take in and started back to a gym. I do a morning routine and love it. I am not a tall guy 5' 9" so just about average in height, but..... I had gotten up to 210 lbs. way to much for me. I am back down to about 190 now and really need to be no more than 175. Having said all that. What I really enjoy doing for exercise is mountain biking, and that is the key being able to enjoy something. It keeps me in the gym cause I want to be able to do longer and more difficult rides. I have rode for years but like you, child and new job stopped all that. Main thing is that you can enjoy the activity so you don't get burned out and quit after a little while. Last bit I have is set goals, not too large, but after you reach one set the next one and make it a little more difficult. Good luck, sounds like you got it right.  O0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:59:30 AM »
Weight=eating + exercise.  Too much e + e= weight gain.  That's the obvious part, but I'm stuck, I've been doing pretty good, I just hit a floor, were I've still got "belly fat" a gut or "turtle belly", not too much pinch, I can bust it down to 201-204 but I can also bounce back up to 212 or so--this is my weight Saturday morning post exercise--my standard, oh & I'm 5'9 1/2". I'm what most people would probably describe as muscular, particularly at my age.  I want to go from a turtle belly to a six pack or a much smaller turtle :D.    
I've really gotten frustrated.   Any ideas on how to break through?  I exercise 5-6 days a week for at least an hour in the morning half weights, half cardio, eat breakfast,  do low gylcemic, hi protein, approximately 1500-2000 calories a day.  Problem 1, I think, is lunch at work, it's really hard to find prepared food that is what I really want & I don't want to sit in the office and eat.  If I don't eat, I eat too much at dinner.  Problem 2 is eating out, particularly on weekends.  Booze, only on weekends, usually Scotch whisky or red wine--shiraz generally--beer bloats me with water for a couple of days.  

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:48:18 PM »
  I am thinking of joining a gym for lunchtimes, not sure but shedding those initial pounds has really given me the motivation to kick on!

That's probably a good idea because then a variety of activities will be available to you.  You may even discover some forms of exercise that you hadnt' thought of before.  Variety is the key; if you do the same activity over and over, eventually your body stops responding.

Offline lifeinthesouth

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 06:18:11 AM »
 I want to go from a turtle belly to a six pack or a much smaller turtle :D.    
I've really gotten frustrated.   Any ideas on how to break through? 

I am not a fitness expert, but from my experience this is what I have learned.

Getting to that point is a tough and frustrating goal. A healthy man should be no more than 27% body fat to be considered not at risk for weight related problems. the average healthy man is 20-27%. Here is the main problem to get the six pack abs a man needs to be around 8% body fat.  :o yeah, that is why it is so tough to get and maintain. Diet is going to have to be pretty strict to get to that point, which sounds like you already know and know where your doing right and where your "extra" calories are coming from. Razor X is right you might try changing up the routine to confuse your body and help it to kick in the metabolism to burn extra calories. I've always tried to change up about every 6 weeks.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 07:28:12 AM »
My "fat" isn't on the outside now, I can't get an inch of pinch, it's all abdominal, but on the inside--I've never had this problem before.  I think is part of the "getting old sucks" thing, but it is absolutely impossible to make a significant dent in.  I've kept up w/ my physicals, etc., all is well except this damn turtle--I mean there is the faint outline of the old six pack on it. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »

I am not a fitness expert, but from my experience this is what I have learned.

Getting to that point is a tough and frustrating goal. A healthy man should be no more than 27% body fat to be considered not at risk for weight related problems. the average healthy man is 20-27%.

27% is too high:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcharts.htm

Offline lifeinthesouth

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 05:45:56 AM »
You are right. I went back and reread my post. I should not have used "healthy".  It should read "no more than 20% and the average man is 20-27%" not that it is healthy in that range. That was just according to a trainer I worked out with a few years ago. Thanks for the correction.  :-[  next time I'll use the preview button.  ;D