Author Topic: Considering another crack at it  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
Considering another crack at it
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:30:02 AM »
As some of you may now I did shave my head once before. but it did not last because i took some negative comments to heart and let it grow back. but my hair loss is progressing at its wonderful pace claiming more and more hair as it goes. I usually keep it at a #1 buzzcut but thats getting to the point where from a distance i practically look bald already.

Anyhoo I am thinking about taking another crack at it at the end of this semester for summer break and just trying to sustain the shaved head all summer break (from mid may to late august)

(my first post in to be or not to be)
http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=10697.0
(my 2nd post shave post)
http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=11738.0

for a reference for myself and others who choose to shed light on this thread.

Hopefully that 1st post can change into 20 years old and couldn't be happier when june 7th(my birthday) rolls around

Once again thanks for everything guys. Hopefully I will join the sly ranks once again and stay in the sly ranks.

Cheers! O0
(edit below is a pic of the top of my head as of now)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:42:29 AM by Morthen »

Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Considering another crack at it
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 07:59:44 AM »
Looks like a Norwood III right now.  Pretty soon--6m to a year--the front piece may get separated from the rest forming an island--then you've got two hairlines!  I was there, as were many of the Brothers here.  You can do it now, or let Nature continue in plain sight.  You have the itch, you know what we're going to say.  You've got the equipment. 
The rest is up to you.  Slow or fast--those are your choices.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:04:51 AM »
That's pretty much what the top of my head looked like when I decided it was time to take it all off.  The negative comments can be tough, but hang in there -- they will stop eventually.  It's well worth persevering through, in order to do what you want.  The feeling of liberation and increased confidence will be all the greater when you look back and realize that you were able to overcome all the negativity.

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 08:16:17 AM »
Mothern, you have done it once and let others control how you feel about yourself.  It's your head and life so live it the way that makes you happy.  Razor said it right!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 09:47:02 AM »
Gotta tell you  - - That is what my TOP looked like    - -

I should have done it  sooner  - -I am sorry I took soooooo long to become SLY BALD

Do it now  - -you will not be sorry

Richard
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:35:43 AM by mangosink12572 »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
This is an overhead view of my dome from 2002:

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 07:24:21 PM »
Go ahead and shave that rascal. It will look a LOT better.
NEVER let anyone rule the decisions you make for YOUR life. You get one chance at this Dude..... take advantage.

Remember one thing... most people that would tell you how to run your life have issues of their own they need to resolve.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 11:37:17 PM »
I'm going to shave it right after finals and im going to try and keep it all summer, and If I like it Ill just keep it permanently
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 07:07:02 AM »
Best of luck on your finals O0

We all know you'll enjoy it, enjoy the shave and post exam parties.

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 04:50:16 AM »
thanks saintc.. My friend is graduating from college so I wanna look smoothe and sly for his grad party :)
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 12:04:59 PM »
thanks saintc.. My friend is graduating from college so I wanna look smoothe and sly for his grad party :)
hey morthern:  R U going 2 let negative comments influence U 2   not   shave, again. :-\  or R U gonna B your own man & keep it smooooooth. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 04:29:45 PM »
When I first shaved my head, I got less than stellar comments.  My Mom was the worst.  Now she saves razor coupons (even though they are for the wrong kind  ;D )  My wife never said anything negative, but you could tell she wasn't completely on board.  Now she rubs it to see if I missed any spots.  I got the onion head comments.  I still don't have that perfectly tanned dome, but it beats skin cancer.  I didn't listen to them.  Now I get comments like "I would shave my head if mine was shaped like yours"  "I have a scar here and it wouldn't look as good as yours".  Then I show them my scars and ridges and the peak on the top of my head.  And I offer them a hair cut at Gambrinus's Barber Shop.  The first one is free  O:O  Still no takers, but I'm workin on it  >:D

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »
And I offer them a hair cut at Gambrinus's Barber Shop.  The first one is free  O:O  Still no takers, but I'm workin on it  >:D

LOL! I tried the same thing, Gambrinus...one person did take me up on it and I delivered a close clipper crew cut, and is on the fence about going to the next level down. People seem to have a fascination with wanting to try it once after they see you're committed to it.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 05:23:22 PM »
People seem to have a fascination with wanting to try it once after they see you're committed to it.

To use the New Orleans vernacular, "Yeah you right!"  I've had more of the guys who's hair is essential a vague memory come up to me--having razzed my a$$ unmercifully when I came to the Sly-Side in 2007, ask me all the questions, cold?, do you shave it every day?, do you shave it yourself? [that one I'd love to be able to afford to say, "No, I've got a great valet, you don't?], how much time does it take?, have you gotten sunburned?--you know every question ever.  Now, they ask well if I did it-XYZ?  I know they're thinking about it, I know they want to do it--but our City is a very conventional place, and although there are lots of smooth scalps, they are predominately guys who aren't more than 50.  My friends are heavily on the higher side of that.  But, with my younger friends, we're working on these guys.  One guy, formerly a comb over--yuk--who has been divorced and is dating the Alpha female of my wife's high school class--also divorced, recently ditched the comb over, and is now closely buzzed rim, about a #2 but it's still a rim--I've got him in my target range.  His lady is my wife's Alpha class mate and the one that drove my wife nuts at a recent wedding reception going nuts on the beard, she carressed it and the bald head--"Goes well together!".  I'm still wondering if there is a connection.   I'm not sure if wifey is recovered from that one.  That really got to her.   

Enter your email address: