Author Topic: What a womans opinion on thinning hairlines  (Read 10154 times)

Offline IgnoranceIsBliss

• Learning the way of Sly
What a womans opinion on thinning hairlines
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:22:08 PM »
I started shaving my around the age of 24ish. My hairline has slowly depleated since that time although not really receeded, just thinned gradually over the years. With a shaved head it's difficult for people to tell because there is still hair visibly in place. At length, however, it becomes more obvious and was thus the motivating factor in my buzzing my hair.

I don't actually shave bald, I dislike that shiney/skin feeling personally, I do however take the guards off an electric clipper and go to town. The result is a pretty close shave but more like velcro than smooth skin.

Now at 31 I am growing tired of clipping my hair once a week. I'd rather clip every two weeks and maybe keep the hair a little longer. Something similar to Jason Strtham(sp) hair due. Although I do not have that tough guy look, I resemble Neil Patrick Harris, Quentin Tarrentino or Popeye, so I've been told. LOL

Given these details, would a little hair (despite the thinning hairline) or clipped cut look better on me?

The shaved head effect certainly makes a guy look more tough, which is awesome, cause I'm actually a wussy. On the flip side, I know many women do not find bald men approachable, for whatever reason. Would a smidgen of hair make any difference or is this typically just women who are not at all interested in a man with some, mild, moderate or severe hair loss??? Haha.

Cheers,
Alex

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: What a womans opinion on thinning hairlines
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 02:33:40 PM »
My personal opinion is that the Stratham type buzz works only when the hairline has receded in a symmetrical manner, that there isn't an "island" or two in front, or that the vertex or rear part of the scalp hasn't gone bald in a big way.  Any one of these just leaves a sloppy unkept look, but like I said that's just a personal opinion on whether I could do it--and I found out I couldn't and shaved smooth to the wood. 

Offline IgnoranceIsBliss

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:40:59 PM »
Islands? I can only assume what that means but my hairline is relatively symmetrical, I think. There are no total bald spots (that I know of anyway) just the forward part of my head(hairline/temporal area) has visibly thinned when my hair is longer than say, 4-5 MM in length.

I think a tan and a good body probably helps Stratham out quite a bit, something I need to seriously work on myself. :P

My biggest fear is that I will look like a duesche(sp) and resemble Doogie Howser or Tarrentino. LOL

Cheers,
Alex

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 03:03:02 PM »
It's easy: You let the hair grow until you think it looks bad.   :)
Since it is easily reversible, there's no use for all those "Would I look better if" thoughts. Just try it.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 04:56:22 PM »
The shiny look can be controlled with matte lotions and the feeling of being totally sly grows on you after time.  But its all a matter of personal taste and doing what feels best to you.   You look great clipped to zero - and like others have questioned on other threads -- is it better to look like a guy who's losing his hair or a guy who took control and went sly? 

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: What a woman's opinion on thinning hairlines
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:42:22 PM »
When it comes to a woman's opinion on anything WHO THE HELL KNOWS?  One day she could be rubbing your head and the next day she could accuse you of hating her mother because of the haircut.   You cannot apply logic to situations where there is none!

All I can say is that I know *I* like the feel of my smooth bald head over stubble significantly.  I'm always touching or resting my wrists on my head and I hate that velcro feeling.  I find this to be the biggest drawback of the haircut because I can't go 2 days without a shave without going nuts.  I skipped last night's shave and it's already bugging me.

The moral of the story is that I hate going velcro and I would never adopt that style in some useless attempt to attract women.  My advice is that you should do what you want and not worry about what women may or may not prefer by what's likely some irrelevant margin anyway.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 08:44:52 PM »
My biggest fear is that I will look like a duesche(sp) and resemble Doogie Howser or Tarrentino. LOL

Just do it and see what you look like.  Are you afraid that you'll adopt this look and maintain it for years and then when you're 41 or 51 you'll look at old photos of your 31 year old self and think "OMG!  I looked like Doogie Houser and never noticed!"   :*))
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: What a woman's opinion on thinning hairlines
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:46:07 PM »

My advice is that you should do what you want and not worry about what women may or may not prefer by what's likely some irrelevant margin anyway.

I agree.  There's no consensus on this, anyway.  Some women like bald men, some don't.  Those who don't probably aren't going to make any distinction between a totally shaved head and one that's sporting a little stubble.  Go with whatever you feel more comfortable.

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 08:44:18 AM »
Rusty's comments are spot on.   I needed a good laugh this morning.    :*))

Offline Huntress

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 02:19:38 AM »
some girls like bald guys because of the bad boy image it projects, in addition to that, for me, it also shows the guy's confidence. not everyone has to be Patrick Dempsey to look good, i think its on how they carry themselves. besides let's admit it, its a whole different thing if a guy has a full set of great locks or a bald do and is sporting  hair loss products ... just saying what some girls think.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:30:25 PM by wpruitt »