Author Topic: Hey guys, could do with a little advice...  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Xanwolf1337

• Sly Jr.
Hey guys, could do with a little advice...
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:11:25 AM »
You may have noticed the thread i made in the new members section, if not im Nick :)

Basically i've been pretty depressed for quite awhile with my hair, sometimes to the extent where i dont want to go out of the house or see anyone. Well anyways my hair is receding pretty bad at the moment and seems to have gotten even worse in the past 2 1/2 months and i've had my hair cut shorter and shorter over this period to try and deal with it but it seems to make it look even worse due to my face shape etc.

So i though i'd be best shaving, as i had shaved hair along time back and i really liked it, but my dad and eveyone kept saying i have a really white head, so i ended up growing it back and in return feeling very shy about my hair again.

It seems like my dad wants me to keep my hair as long as possible as he said he lost his at around my age, in his twenties (im currently 20) but i find it very hard to tell him its depressing me.

I'll post a couple of pictures below:

This picture is about 2/3 years ago, when my hair seemed to be ok, but still it felt very very fine.

And this one was taken about 2 days ago, when i went out taking car pictures:

As you can see, in this period of time its gone pretty high up my head and it looks even thinner in the mornings when i wake up :(.

So i was wondering guys, could you give me abit of help with what to do please?

Do you think my head would look ok shaved or...?

Also how would i be able to sort the white scalp problem if i do go ahead and shave?

Should i grow a goatee or something too?

Sorry for the very long thread, thanks for reading though  O0

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: Hey guys, could do with a little advice...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 01:13:26 AM »
IMO, your head would, indeed, look OK shaved.

Don't worry about the "white head". You're a white guy, like me. Eventually, with some sun exposure, your dome will color the same as your face. It's a sad state of affairs but white dudes have white heads when they shave. Be careful about too much sun, though. Quite a few guys in the forum have reported encounters with things like basal or squamous cell carcinomas and other pre-cancerous conditions which are brought about by trying too hard to get the dome to tan too fast. I had a chunk about the size of a quarter chopped out of my forehead a couple of years ago. Don't worry about it.....it will color up all on its own.

I happen to be a fan of goatees, I have had one for years. It is a nice touch with or without hair but is definitely a plus with a scraped dome. Try one out, you can always shave it if you don't like it. Try making it oversize to begin with and then trimming it down until you get it where you like it best.

Don't forget the 30 day rule. Scrape that dome and keep it smooth for 30 days to see if you like it. During this time you WILL get feedback both positive and negative. The positive feedback comes from loving and supportive people. The negative comes from a$$holes who have no idea what they're talking about. Remember, it's your head. You don't have to ask permission or beg forgiveness if you decide to shave it. 
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 06:53:37 AM »
You can quickly "tan" your scalp by using a product like Jergens Natural Glow products.   There's an express version that will have you looking tanned in 3 days (without that fake orange tan look).   I had a definite tan line when I shaved and thanks to the suggestions on the boards I tried Jergens and it worked.

As for shaving or not shaving.  You're going to love the sly look and feel.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 07:04:12 AM »
Welcome to the SBG, you're at the right place.  Well you seem to have the genetic predisposition to be a bald man and your hairline from the one picture appears somewhat receded.  But, what I find more important is that it's depressing you--that's just not necessary at your age.  Why don't you try a tight buzz or preferably a to the bone shave.  If after thirty days you just don't fit w/ total sly at this time, it will grow out quickly.  And try some facial hair, just remember that it will take about two to three months to determine what you can grow at this time--some guys don't gain their full beards until their late twenties. 
If this is depressing you, try sly--but get out, smile, get with your buddies, and just have some fun.  Time marches on quickly, don't waste it.

Offline Xanwolf1337

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:51:33 AM »
Thanks for the support guys, its much appreciated. I think i will do what saintc said and buzz it right down to start to see what it looks like and i'll get some of the Jergens tan stuff O0.

Thanks again guys!

I'll try to get some pictures later on if i can :).

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »
Thanks for the support guys, its much appreciated. I think i will do what saintc said and buzz it right down to start to see what it looks like and i'll get some of the Jergens tan stuff O0.

Thanks again guys!

I'll try to get some pictures later on if i can :).

Good man, but don't forget the "enjoy yourself" bit--that's every bit as important. 

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 11:26:09 AM »
Hi Nick, you've gotten good information from the guys, so I'll just say attack it head-on. Go for the shave and give it the thirty days, to allow yourself to become acclimated to the new look and feel.

I guarantee you'll love it.   O0

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 02:04:20 PM »
Not to dis your Dad, but he's probably from my generation where most guys "dealt" with hair-loss by growing it long, pulling the remaining 17 strands of hair over the top of the head, and avoiding mirrors as much as possible.

Don't fall into the trap.

Wear it short, or wear it sly. It's the only way to fly.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 02:50:59 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Nick! You'll look great shaved and as Todd said... there are products ot help with the initial "white" head.

Keep us posted...........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Xanwolf1337

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 05:25:45 PM »
Hey guys...I've done it O:O. I decided to basically get the trimmer and take the guard off and put it on the shortest of the short...I really do love it! It feels/looks very smart and clean.

I also ordered some of the tan stuff that pdxtodd mentioned off amazon to try out, so once ive used that for abit (hopefully this week) i will get a decent razor and go sly as you guys call it :).

I agree Bootedbear, he mentioned that he had very very long hair when he was younger until he was around my age (hes just short of 60 at the moment). Although i saw him just after i had done it about 2 hours ago and he strangely seemed ok with it, which i though was pretty cool :).

Unfortunately i couldnt get hold of a camera to take any pictures tonight, but i will try to get one tomorrow and post some up.

Thanks again for all of the awesome advice O0.

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 05:41:17 PM »
Congratulations Nick. Well done! A word of advice regarding the Natural Glow (or any tanning product for that matter). Unless you have jet-black hair, the product will most likely change the color of whatever hair it come in contact with, even if it is super-short. I'd save the Natural Glow until you have gone completely sly. Unless you like the idea of an orangy looking buzz-cut. If you intend to apply the Natural Glow to your face, you might want to be careful with it around the edges of your goatee as well. Don't get me wrong though, it's a great product and I use it myself. ;)
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 06:02:56 PM »
"I really do love it! It feels/looks very smart and clean"

Glad it's working out, and even w/o the picture, yet, we know that its going to look good, over that smile.  Good going.   O0

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 07:48:59 PM »
Not saying he's trying to, at least not on purpose but... don't let you dad relive his hair through you.  Ya know?

You look fine with short hair and you'd probably look fine shaved too once you got you head tanned.  We all have had to deal with that and now is the time all tan-less folks are out tanning so you'd be in good company!  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith