Author Topic: whats the difference  (Read 4814 times)

Offline lifeinthesouth

• Sly Jr.
whats the difference
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:20:14 AM »
Hey can anyone tell me the difference in a 0 clipper guard and no guard. I know 1 is 1/8", 2+ 1/4" and so on, some one asked me if I was using a #0 wasn't sure if there was a such thing. If so is there a difference in them?

Main reason I want to know is the clippers I have (Wal-mart cheapo) just goes to a 1 but without a guard and doing it myself can draw blood where I can't see on the back of my head. Maybe I have the wrong clippers?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: whats the difference
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:26:02 AM »
Hey can anyone tell me the difference in a 0 clipper guard and no guard. I know 1 is 1/8", 2+ 1/4" and so on, some one asked me if I was using a #0 wasn't sure if there was a such thing. If so is there a difference in them?

Main reason I want to know is the clippers I have (Wal-mart cheapo) just goes to a 1 but without a guard and doing it myself can draw blood where I can't see on the back of my head. Maybe I have the wrong clippers?
Sounds to me like it's graduation time, no guard, why not a blade?  It's a small step in hair length, but a huge leap in slyness!  Sorry Neil.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 11:31:47 AM »
I agree with the Saint! No guard????? That stubble will just be annoying! Be done with it!!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline lifeinthesouth

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 11:36:58 AM »
I knew that was coming.  ::) I will sooner or later. Not sure why yet well I do the wife has kept me talked out of it so far. I did a close buzz over the weekend and it is already growing, which is why I was wondering about the clipper guards.

The main reason I haven't shaved is concerned on shaving everyday or every other breaking me out. A problem I have with my face.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:53:29 AM »
I knew that was coming.  ::) I will sooner or later. Not sure why yet well I do the wife has kept me talked out of it so far. I did a close buzz over the weekend and it is already growing, which is why I was wondering about the clipper guards.

The main reason I haven't shaved is concerned on shaving everyday or every other breaking me out. A problem I have with my face.

I have had skin problems since puberty, and keep a dermatologist busy, I have my regular appointment tomorrow in fact.  Breaking out can be controlled many times by keeping it clean.  By that I mean regular use of mild antibiotic antiacne soap, such as Cuticura.  I use it at least three times a day, in the morning before I put my contacts in, I wash my face & dome with it.  Then when I get back from the gym, I wash the dome again before I shower & in the shower I use a loopha pad--available at Wal-Mart--about US2-3.  Then shave, I'm a sink shaver.  After shaving I use hydrogen peroxide as an astringent, some guys use witch hazel, some the specialized anti-acne astringents.  The plus is the pad I apply it with does a double check for missed spots ::).  Then a mix of a pea sized amounts of hydrocortisone lotion and 10% benzoyl peroxide lotion, finishing off w/ a non-oily shave balm and then sunscreen.  Seems like a lot, but keeps the scalp free of my life time adversary--zits.  Also, make sure you change the pillow case regularly and have clean sweat bands in any hat you may wear.  Clean=Clear. 
With this regime I shave everyday, a real pleasure.  Some guys have even written that not shaving everyday raises skin problems.  Well this works for me. 
Now the wife bit, haven't solved that--she hated it when I first did it, and still hates it.  Last weekend she said, "If you'd grow your hair out, you could go out in the sun."  I told her if I could figure a way to grow my hair out, I could sun myself on a large yacht on the French and Italian Rivera.  The conversation ended.

usmcpelon

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:35:21 PM »
There really isn't much difference between using a clipper with or without a guard.  There will be stubble but I agree with saintc that you better use a bald now.  If you break out, don't shave against the grain.  That should help

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 01:39:25 PM »
When you use clippers w/o a guard you have to be careful on how you position the cutting blade.You haveto keep it flat against the scalp and not go in first with the tip of the blade. A #0 cut is yes w/o a guard.But like the others have said nothing better than a regular razor, you have to at least try it once.SHAVING EVER DAY may not be necessary, Ido it every three or four days with no problems, every body is different.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:50:28 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »
I agree with the team -- the blade is so much easier and it feels a lot better than velcro.  Its something you can't understand until you've done it.   As for your wife -- its far easier to ask forgiveness.  If she complains tell her that you lost a bet with a guy on sly bald guys and you're required to either (a) wear a dress for 30 days or (b) shave your head.  You figured that shaving your head would be more acceptable to her ;-)