Author Topic: Clipper without guard?  (Read 67052 times)

Offline random

• Learning the way of Sly
Clipper without guard?
« on: March 10, 2010, 04:55:37 PM »
Hey guys... I've been buzzing my head for a while now and seem to have reached the shortest setting possible with the guard still attached (3mm/0.12in according to the manual). Now of course I'm pondering taking off the guard thingy and going even shorter (supposedly 0.8mm)... my question is: How hard is it to do this right? Do I have to worry about botching this up and doing an uneven job without the guard? I have some palpable ridges/bumps on my skull and unfortunately I'm also pretty pale right now (stupid winter), so I expect the remaining hair to be quite visible.

Should I stock up on wet shaving supplies just in case (proper shave is planned anyway, but I was hoping to wait for a bit longer until the sun comes back)?

Clipper in question is this one.

Any experiences/ideas/thoughts/...? Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:08:13 PM by Tyler »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Clipper without guard?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 05:17:09 PM »
Remembering the slogan, "Go for the Gold!" shave it with a blade--it's the Gold standard for the Dome.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 05:25:58 PM »
I clipped without guard for two decades before I went sly... and during the winters, I still do. Just take it slow and easy and you'll have no problem. The major difference without the plastic guard is that the bare metal is exposed and if you rush through things, you could give yourself a good gouge or scratch.

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 05:36:53 PM »
There's another post or two about this floating around where I put up a pic and info on what I use. These clippers are curved and with no guard I can press it into my head without worrying about cutting myself. I'd be terrified to do that with your normal pair of clippers, actually, don't do it. Sounds dangerous especially considering there's an inexpensive alternative.

If I locate the earlier post I'll forward the info. Maybe google rechargable curved hair clippers.
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 05:40:33 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Clipper-Rechargeable-Cordless-Haircut/dp/B0015K9BXQ

I like em. I press them into my head and go back and forth. I have yet to cut myself and it feels pretty damn good. That being said, what's stopping you from breakin out the razor? It would be back to no guard length in 3-5 days anyway and you get to try it out. Shave this Friday. By Monday you'll know what a no guard looks like.  :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:09:28 PM by Tyler »
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 07:48:16 PM »
Those look awesome PoC!

(Not-so-great Amazon reviews though...)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 08:02:17 PM by bootedbear »

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 09:25:24 PM »
Like booted bear said,just go slow and keep the bottom of the cutter blade flat against your skin other wise it will clip the skin. At that point you may want to go all the way, thats the way I did it the first time.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:27:38 PM by MAGOO »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 11:15:38 PM »
Like bootedbear, I also used just the blades forever. Never even had a guard, actually. My clippers came with different length blades (1, 2, 000).

The worst that has ever happened to me was some hair being tugged because I didn't oil that certain blade for years.

Good luck!
- Eric W-

Polarbear

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 04:23:15 AM »
Hi Random,

Just do it :)

I have been buzzing my hair with a clipper for more than four years, without the guard. I have never cut myself or anything.

Try it, see if it works.

Regards.

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 07:19:28 AM »
I guess it depends on what kind of clippers you have and the quality (and the operator). 10+ years ago my wife nearly decapitated me trimming up the neck area with a pair no guard shears. oh man what a wound. This past year, a barber buzzed it with no guard and not a scratch, quite smooth actually.

Try it. Worst case you stop halfway, put on a bandaid and a hat then pay $12 to have a barber finish the job. haha!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 11:04:18 AM »
I also got wounded by my loving wife in the back of the neck..... last time I EVER asked her to cut my hair. You have to avoid going straight in with the clipper teeth ,just keep it flat against the skin. :x!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:43:08 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

stemikger

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 03:07:44 PM »
Well, after saying how I didn't prefer the Remington Shortcut, I decided to give it another shot (without the guard).  Wow!!  I take back what I said.  It was so great.  The last year I was using it with the comb attachment (before I decided to go sly again) and last Sunday I used it again and I have to say it is so much better without the attachment. 

I guess I was using the other clipper so long, I didn't really give it chance.

If last Sunday was not a fluke, I was very impressed with the Remington Shortcut without the guard. 

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 01:44:34 AM »
One word of warning from a former clipper user  ;)   If you ever unscrew the blades for cleaning.....be careful with the realignment when putting them back together. I was abit careless with mine once and after shaving......my head looked like I lost a battle with a cat!!!!! :-[

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 10:44:42 AM »
This almost sounds more dangerous than shaving with a dull blade!!   :*))

Just remember that being truly sly is just a millimeter or two away!  :o

Follow your heart!  Live on the edge!  Embrace your freedom and go for it!  8)

Offline Tagus

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 06:01:45 PM »
I am too interested in buying the Philips QC5170 but i need help from you guys.

I´m looking for a clipper that buzzes the hair very short like a 1mm or even 000 setting because i need to show in my workplace that i´m going bald and that someday i will shave it all off. (i work with the public so i have to convince the supervisors to shave it).

This Philips clipper only goes untill the 1mm lenght so my question is, is it possible to remove the attachement and shave it like that? DOes every clipper out there work without an attachement?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:10:13 PM by Tyler »