Author Topic: Seems like there's no real "do it all" aftershave, huh?  (Read 7446 times)

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
Seems like there's no real "do it all" aftershave, huh?
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:38:13 PM »
The more I'm looking around this site and then checking out on-line vendors, the more I see people using two or three products to get the final result "aftershave".

I'm looking for a moisturizing lotion, alcohol free, scent free, with some sort of SPF that won't clog pores and (preferably) won't cost me a pile of money.  ::) It seems like the Aveeno line is closest to what I want but not exactly- are there any other suggestions?

On another note, I have been at this site all day long.  O0 It is so great to read these threads and get new ideas on how to improve tomorrow's shave. I'm so glad I took the time to type in "head shaving" in a search engine.  8)

Thanks again!

- Eric W-

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
Re: Seems like there's no real "do it all" aftershave, huh?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:35:32 PM »
The combo I use is "kinda pricey"...

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:40:29 PM »
Don't know any off the top, I'd figure that Aveeno would be the closest but I use Lubriderm with spf and it's pretty much a staple and it's cheap as well as a bottle lasting for ever. There is copious amounts in regards to shaving, pre-shave, post-shave here and if you need any help I'm sure any of us will help you out in anyway.

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 02:37:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I found a Coppertone sunscreen that fits the majority of what I was looking for (it's not alcohol free). $8 and change for 8oz. so that even works out well. I'll see how it works the next few days and report back- maybe in the review section.

Again, thanks.  O0
- Eric W-

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 05:02:04 AM »
Somebody posted the other day that Neutrogena has a new line of products that may fit your needs.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 01:02:40 PM »
Somebody posted the other day that Neutrogena has a new line of products that may fit your needs.

Thanks. That was me.  ;D
- Eric W-

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »
The three I use are Matte For Men's Head Care Lotion (SPF 26), HeadLube with SPF 30, and Cetaphil Face Lotion (SPF 15).  I use Bald Guyz also, but it has alcohol. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 12:41:39 PM »
Thanks Tyler. I live out in the sticks of GA, but am pretty sure I can find the Cetaphil stuff and see how that works. Thanks for the recommendation!
- Eric W-

GASlick

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 09:16:01 PM »
Cetaphil stuff is widely available. As is Neutrogena.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 08:19:56 PM »
Looks like omegapd, GAslick, and I are all from GA! Cool.  8)

I use HeadLube with SPF 30 (it's matte only) when I don't want a high gloss.  I wish HB would make a HeadLube Glossy w/ SPF 30.

A few weeks ago I picked up Vaseline Aloe Fresh Protecting lotion (SPF 15).  It works nicely and isn't greasy.  Has a pleasant scent, too.

I'll have to check out that Cetaphil Face Lotion.  I tried the regular Cetaphil in the past for hands and face and it's great!
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 12:26:56 PM »
Nivea for men has a lotion that I use on my head after shaving it has no scent and has an SPF of 20.  Not oily and goes on smoothly.

Bald is Beautiful

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 05:52:23 AM »

I think SaintC started a thread about the Neutrogena. Based on his recommendation I went and got some, kinda pricey, but just as he said it was not greasy. It's called Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock, SPF 85+. Used it last week on the links, didn't need a chappeau. Lasts a good long time, too.
I got a 3 oz. tube at WallyWorld for about $11 and it came with a little companion tube (about .5 oz.) that I keep in my golf bag. BTW, I suck at golf.

The thread started by SaintC had to do with 90 spf Neutrogena Age Face Shield. He's got a thread in here about 90 spf that isn't greasy and doesn't sting.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:36:05 AM by buddha »
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 07:32:33 AM »
Oh yeah, almost forgot, I make my own aftershave. I use Witch Hazel and I mix in Aloe Vera Gel until the mix starts to thicken just a bit and begins to get a whitish tint to it. I also add pure Tea Tree Oil as an antiseptic but this adds a smell which doesn't last long. The nice thing about this mixture is that when I apply it it is very slick as long as it hasn't dried so if I feel stubble I can make a few passes over it with the blade without having to lather up again. No SPF protection, though, but I can always put on the Neutrogena afterward.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline kenny57028

• Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 01:07:06 PM »
I don't use aftershave, never have not even for my face. Can someone tell me the benefit?
The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the Past better than it was,
the Present worse than it is & the future less resolved than it will be.

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 08:25:11 PM »
I use it more in the winter than in the summer.  Keeps my head from drying out.   Summer time I use it more for scent than function.