Author Topic: Tips for the 30 Day Rule  (Read 6077 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Tips for the 30 Day Rule
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:21:03 PM »
Do any of you guys that completed the 30 day rule have any tips for the guys that's about to embark on his journey?

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PopeyeRay

• Sly.Popeye
  • Sly Jr.
  • Just da way Iam
    • Popeye Ray
Re: Tips for the 30 Day Rule
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 05:59:38 PM »
Well it will be 30 days for me in about a week, a little less. But I have to say I'm more confident now. I'm use to of it, and actually love to shave the dome. I take pride in managing it, making sure it's just right.
I guess one tip I can give is to keep coming to these boards. The guys here are really supportive and you find yourself becoming friends and enjoying talking to them. It's an excellent support group. Another tip I would say is look in the mirror & tell yourself how good you look Sly. Take pride in shaving, and managing the Slyness. Its like a new found love for enjoying yourself.  Guys here have said many times, the more confidence you have in yourself, the more it shows, and it really does tend to rub off on others around you. They too will find you a confident and great looking guy.
[img width= height= alt=ImageChef Custom Images]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/100224/purcaced2d22244c87d.gif[/img]

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 08:08:48 AM »
Do any of you guys that completed the 30 day rule have any tips for the guys that's about to embark on his journey?

As Captain Jack Sparrow says, "Its really more of a guideline..."

OK, seriously, 30 days gives you a chance to really try it out and see if "Sly is your Style".  There are three major points IMHO...

First, it lets you personalize a routine for maintaining the look.  To some, that first shave seems like a pretty long and intricate process.  You need some time to get into the swing of it and learn that maintaining the look seems to take less effort as you get used to it.

Second, It exposes you to most of your social and business contacts multiple times.  This allows you to realize that after an initial comment most people just accept it and life goes on.

Third, it lets you get comfortable with yourself, and learn that unless you look in a mirror or touch your head, life is pretty much like it was before.

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 10:00:31 AM »
Great question Tyler,  I can tell you from my own experience:

1)  The faster you take that step to sly the better off you'll be.  So many of us agonized for weeks, months, years over our hair loss and the moment we finished shaving it all off we all go -- dang I wish I had done that years ago.
2)  Yes you look different.   You may experience shock for the first two weeks after shaving your head -- but that will quickly turn to awe.  When I walked past the mirror I was in total shock over the change in my look (I wore a hairpiece so I went from a full head of fur to sly). 
3)  Don't ask people if they like your new look - TELL them how awesome it feels and how much you love it.  People's opinions are shaped by how you react. 
4)  Walk tall, don't slump, don't cower, think Bruce Willis kicking rear in one of his movies.  You now have the power -- you are in control.  Act like you're in control
5)  Look people straight in the eyes - show that you're confident in your new look.   Don't act like you're ashamed. 
6)  Help a brother out.  You'll surely see other guys with horseshoes that are eyeing your skullet.  Smile and hand them your SBG business card.
7)  Look around - you're not alone.   On Thursday I was standing in line for lunch and looked around.  Of the 10 guys who were in the cafe - four of us were sly. 
8)  Its just freakin hair.  Hair doesn't define who you are - although fear, agony, depression, and hiding behind your hairloss does!   The quicker you take that step the quicker you're going to feel freedom and happiness.
9)  Listen to the guys on the forum.  We all say the same thing -- its a huge positive change. 
10)  Pick up a pair of clippers at WalMart, Walgreens, CVS, or elsewhere.   Its simple to buzz your hair down with no guard.  It takes about 3 minutes to do the job and you're there.   Sure you can start with a #3, #2, #1 guard to transition to sly -- but until you take the step to #0 and a blade you won't understand the freedom.   So skip the numbers in between and go for the blade.
11)  Share your success stories with the guys on the board.  The more positive stories the better.  Looking back over the past 6 months -- there's only been a couple of "oh no why did I do it" stories and interestingly enough -- those stories tend to be due to someone making a negative comment.  See Item 3 above to avert those issues.
12)  Ask for help and encouragement.  The guys who actively participate here are awesome.  If it wasn't for SBG I'd still be shelling out hundreds of dollars a month on a piece of fur - still feeling terrible about myself - agonizing over my "hair".   After nearly 4 months of "no hair" I can honestly say that I haven't been happier about my looks since high school.   Having a shaved head isn't even something that I think about -- it feels natural, looks natural, and other than women walking up and telling me how hot they think guys with shaved heads look and wanting to rub it - its just normal!

Now -- man up -- grab a blade -- take care of business -- get on with your life.   

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 06:58:05 PM »
Todd, great post! #3 is my favorite. I haven't once asked people if they like my look. I don't care if they don't like it. That being said, I had nothing but positive comments/reactions.

It's all about how you present/project yourself, IMHO. If you are confident in you new look it will show and people will most likely react positively.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline timetobeme

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:30:14 PM »
Damn that was a great post, Todd!!!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 09:46:20 AM »
Todd, great post! #3 is my favorite. I haven't once asked people if they like my look. I don't care if they don't like it. That being said, I had nothing but positive comments/reactions.

It's all about how you present/project yourself, IMHO. If you are confident in you new look it will show and people will most likely react positively.

Very true guys, and I agree wholeheartedly. I never once asked someone if they like it, it was always comments from people (mostly females) telling me how much they like it and how good it looks. 

Good post Todd!   O0

Offline Tennessee

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Please excuse the hat (and hair) :)
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 10:42:06 PM »
Great tips guys.  Thanks!

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 09:19:24 AM »
Todd
Your post is EXCELLENT and so true

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 09:33:22 AM »
Todd, you wrote the Sly Twelve Step Program! >:D  Good work. 

BTW, whatever did you do with the rug or rug(s) you used to be "addicted" to, if you don't mind my asking?

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 03:30:40 PM »
Ah good catch.  12 was purely coincidence!   

@saintc -- I was on a "disposable" plan -- they were very fine lace and only lasted 4-6 weeks.   I wadded up the last one and tossed it in the trash -- so happy to be "on the wagon".

#3 is my favorite.    I have people ask me all the time how I like it -- and my answer is always "I love it!"   The interesting thing is you can tell in their voice when they ask that they're not sure.   When I respond with a resounding positive answer - they smile and say something positive.     So new SBG motto / mantra -- "Don't ask -- TELL!"

Offline slychuck

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
don't try to squeeze extra shaves out of your blades. i learned that 3 shaves is my max on headblade triples. i havn't tried other blades because i'm new to this and have read that they may not be as forgiving. don't let a cut knock you out of shaving again. jump right back it there.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 07:20:36 AM »
Great question Tyler,  I can tell you from my own experience:

1)  The faster you take that step to sly the better off you'll be.  So many of us agonized for weeks, months, years over our hair loss and the moment we finished shaving it all off we all go -- dang I wish I had done that years ago.

Now -- man up -- grab a blade -- take care of business -- get on with your life.   

Amen, Todd. Amen. I was letting 1/8-inch of hair get in the way of knowing the freedom of slick SLY bald.

Offline Ta2Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Guy in Training
    • ta2guy.org
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 09:27:03 AM »
don't try to squeeze extra shaves out of your blades. i learned that 3 shaves is my max on headblade triples.

Amen on that.  Even at three shaves per blade, the cost is less than a dollar a shave.  That is probably less than the cost of the gas to drive to Starbucks for an overpriced cup of coffee!  I will never try to shave a dime or two from the cost of shaving supplies.
That is my dome I am scraping! It deserves the best care I can give it.   :@`

i havn't tried other blades because i'm new to this and have read that they may not be as forgiving. don't let a cut knock you out of shaving again. jump right back it there.

I get about ten shaves from Fusion blades, more than with other blades I have tried.  Even at about $2.50 per blade, that is no more than the cost of a shave with lesser blades.  And I get a great shave using a Fusion with little Shave Secret oil and some Nivea gel.  Smooth as glass!

For me, the HeadBlade is about as forgiving as an axe!  I cut myself big time so I couldn't shave for three or four days when I used a HB. I have never drawn blood with any other multi-blade razor.