Author Topic: Now I See It; Now I Don't  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
Now I See It; Now I Don't
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »
I have a student in one of my classes, in his twenties, I'd say, and he's Sly.

Most of the time, even in class, however, he wears a knit cap, and considering how warm the room can get, it's certain he's not warding off chill.  I've seen him once or twice w/o it, and it's clear he's got total MPB, down to the shadowed horseshoe.  Well, I'd say it's obvious he was willing to go Sly, but not happy, really, being so.  I'd suppose this is not an entirely unexpected response.  Well, I, of course, would never say anything, but I'm hoping "by example," to encourage a more forthright acceptance of his situation.

If he were someone I knew socially, I'd be more candid and suggest it's time to shed the cover-up and shine forth, but I don't really think that's something a teacher should do to a student.  Forty years in the classroom, and this is the first Sly student I've ever had!  Some emphatic buzzes, but, well, most of them are still young enough to be pretty much in the pre-shed stage, even if fated to have it happen, so the observed infrequency of balding, and any responses to it, are not unexpected.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
Re: Now I See It; Now I Don't
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 04:46:29 PM »
I can understand this students reluctance to go sans hat.I had that problem when I first shaved. In time a certain confidence takes over and you go for it. The thing is you have to like the look "you" see in the mirror, and the heck what anyone else says or thinks.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 08:29:28 AM »
I have a student in one of my classes, in his twenties, I'd say, and he's Sly.

Most of the time, even in class, however, he wears a knit cap, and considering how warm the room can get, it's certain he's not warding off chill.  I've seen him once or twice w/o it, and it's clear he's got total MPB, down to the shadowed horseshoe.  Well, I'd say it's obvious he was willing to go Sly, but not happy, really, being so.  I'd suppose this is not an entirely unexpected response.  Well, I, of course, would never say anything, but I'm hoping "by example," to encourage a more forthright acceptance of his situation.

If he were someone I knew socially, I'd be more candid and suggest it's time to shed the cover-up and shine forth, but I don't really think that's something a teacher should do to a student.  Forty years in the classroom, and this is the first Sly student I've ever had!  Some emphatic buzzes, but, well, most of them are still young enough to be pretty much in the pre-shed stage, even if fated to have it happen, so the observed infrequency of balding, and any responses to it, are not unexpected.
So you're saying he has a shaved head but wears a hat to cover it? I can understand where hes coming from, When i first shaved I wore a hat nonstop because i didn't want anyone to see, its a hard barrier to break for some people I think after a while he'll get used to it. I did but I havent shaved my head since the first time I did it..

when will I learn :P

Anyhow, some of my best teachers have been sly so glad to here you still setting an example for students like myself :)
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline imb

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 06:05:54 PM »
How old are your students sir? I notice I'm the only razor shaved headed guy in the lecture theatre (third year at university)