Author Topic: Relic Rifle  (Read 5442 times)

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Relic Rifle
« on: January 27, 2010, 05:36:59 PM »
    ........Today while i was ripping up floors in an old victorian home --I was amazed too find this old rifle hidden under the floorboards long ago......I find cool stuff all the time in attics of old houses and thought this was a keeper....I think i`ll stick it over my fireplace......I`m not much of a rifle guy so..
   It says  " STEVENS X BARREL "  22-Long Rifle-  Model 416-  U.S. PROPERTY  ......good find ??
   And if anyone is wondering:: YES that is RED shag rug and it does cover my entire upper level..
   Came with the house   >groovy<      :D

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:40:56 PM by aarrggh »

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
Re: Relic Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 06:35:46 PM »
Looks pretty nice nice and appears to be in good condition.  Maybe you should even put a 22 LR in it and fire it.

Here's what a quick Google search said in one of the screens:

22 long rifle bolt action manufactured from 1937 to 1942. Some were manufactured as US military training rifles and if marked US Property they will sell for a large premium. The Blue Book gives values of $70 in 60% and $140 in 100%.

Remember, Google is our friend -

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 07:23:06 PM »
It is a Stevens Model 416 X-Barrel Target Rifle .22 LR, a military training rifle from WW2. One similar to this, but with a scope, recently sold for $750.00 at Cabella's. Yours, if it is in "Good" condition, could be worth $500.00. Do NOT put it over the fireplace. Sell it or store it in a proper gun safe.
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline flattop peterbilt

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »
just a FYI if anything you do plan on selling or making money off it ..do not modify it or clean it or stain it ..reduces value..i would bring it to a gun smith before i put a round through it..better safe than sorry..
Life hands you four Aces bet high...life hands you four duces...call

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:44:11 AM »
Whatever you do don't clean it. A gunsmith is your best bet.

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 07:47:54 AM »
I agree with the not cleaning it suggestion.  But you can bet that if the gun was used in the military, as a training rifle, the user was 'trained' in cleaning it every day.  Just part of his training - LOL

But, just like most other collectibles,  coins, for instance, the sure way to ruin the value of a nice silver US coin is cleaning it.   

Being an eBay junkie, I looked there for one,  none are presently for sale on eBay, but there are a couple ads for the manual or a copy of the manual for the gun.

Good luck with it,  I'm sure we all would be very interested in what you find out about it.  A nice find for sure

Now if you happen to find some old baseball cards there,  keep me in mind.  Or Sleepy Eye, or Sheaffer Fountain Pens, or, well the list can go on and on

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:29:35 PM »
   I have no intentions of cleaning this thing or trying too fire it .. Probably dirt and spiders and stuff in the barrel.
 I`ll stash it somewhere in the house for now..Yeah : Maybe over the fireplace.........
   I did find a coupla cool bullets today while cleaning out the attic of same house.........
 And thats what i do for a living  "demo old houses for remodeling"  and i find tons of old crap............
  One says  S L 43  on the bottom  And the other  R A 43  i think...........

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »
Yikes, those look like machine gun bullets,  and probably live too!
Nice

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 07:48:32 PM »
30-06 M1 Garand ammo, WWII  era.
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 04:35:18 PM »
Cool find bro! We have to register our guns here in Canada, do you have to do something similar in the US?

How would you get that done with a rifle found?

Just curious bros!

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
  As of now Handguns- Rifles and Shotguns do not have too be registered in Minnesota...But im sure that will change with these knuckleheads running this state now......
 And im sure every state in this country has different gun laws--just like every state has different helmet laws for example............
   :XX

Enter your email address: