Author Topic: Astringent Pad Recommendations?  (Read 3517 times)

Offline TheImperial

• Puttin' the imp in pimp
  • Learning the way of Sly
    • WillPhillips.org
Astringent Pad Recommendations?
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »
Hey fellas,

In an attempt to try and fight off the back of neck/head razor bumps and acne (got hair that grows in different angles that I think is part of the problem), I picked up some witch hazel to try and dry things out back there.

Trouble is, I usually go with an every-other-day shave routine, but the cotton pads I bought from Walgreens are getting tore up on my stubble, leaving chunks of them on my scalp.

Any of you have a recommendation for what I can use to replace that? Would just a normal wash rag work?

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Astringent Pad Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 02:39:04 PM »
I have a small area on the backof my neck that sometimes breaks out so here's what I do. I pour a little splash of After Shave on my hands, rub it around, and then wipe it onto that area of my neck. After Shave is made to help close the pores so this helps with the sensitive area.

I use Clubman Pinaud After Shave...... great stuff, inexpensive, and smells like an old time barber shop. As an added bonus, women absolutely love the smell of this stuff.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 03:40:07 PM »
I  throw a half-dozen pre-moisturized "Cottony Cloths" from CVS into a Hefty ziploc bag, pour some Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera into the bag, zip it shut, and I'm good to go. One bag in each vehicle, another in any messenger bag, range bag or briefcase I'm going to carry on any particular day.

The witch hazel soaked Cottony Cloths are fantastic for a refreshing wipedown of the noggin during the day, and keep the scalp very happy at the same time. These cloths, like any cloth, will catch on your stubble if you wipe against the grain, BUT they are very resilient, and as long as you simply wipe or pat down your head, and don't use them as a scrubbing cloth, they'll leave no residue at all.

Compared to the cost of commercial headwipes, the above system is VERY economical, and, from my experience, delivers equal or better results than the commercial variety as well.

Edit: Make sure you get the "Unscented" Cottony Cloths. Fragrance chemicals can react unfavorably with sensitive (freshly shaved) skin.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:45:26 PM by ozzie »
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:42:54 AM »
I  throw a half-dozen pre-moisturized "Cottony Cloths" from CVS into a Hefty ziploc bag, pour some Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera into the bag, zip it shut, and I'm good to go. One bag in each vehicle, another in any messenger bag, range bag or briefcase I'm going to carry on any particular day.

The witch hazel soaked Cottony Cloths are fantastic for a refreshing wipedown of the noggin during the day, and keep the scalp very happy at the same time. These cloths, like any cloth, will catch on your stubble if you wipe against the grain, BUT they are very resilient, and as long as you simply wipe or pat down your head, and don't use them as a scrubbing cloth, they'll leave no residue at all.

Compared to the cost of commercial wipes, the above system is VERY economical, and, from my experience, delivers equal or better results than the commercial variety as well.

That is a BRILLIANT idea!!  I love it - I will have to give that one a try, myself   8)
MikeC

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 12:40:53 PM »
Oh .... make sure the Cottony Cloths are the "Unscented" variety. You don't need to give any weird-ass chemicals a chance to react with your skin. I'll edit the above post too.

8)
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline VicMackey

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 01:22:37 AM »

I use Clubman Pinaud After Shave...... great stuff, inexpensive, and smells like an old time barber shop. As an added bonus, women absolutely love the smell of this stuff.

I just picked up some of this stuff today!! I used it tonight and it took me way back, reminded me of my very first barber I had and how excited I would always get when he would put the "hair tonic" on me after my haircut! I also noticed my head has seemed to stay a little smoother a little longer this shave! Bonus!

Offline namratasnv

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:25:10 AM »

I just picked up some of this stuff today!! I used it tonight and it took me way back, reminded me of my very first barber I had and how excited I would always get when he would put the "hair tonic" on me after my haircut! I also noticed my head has seemed to stay a little smoother a little longer this shave! Bonus!

This is so good at your point and this seems to be the best for you, just take care of your scalp.

Thanks