Author Topic: psoriasis and head shaving  (Read 30376 times)

Offline jblake1560

• Learning the way of Sly
psoriasis and head shaving
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:07:32 PM »
I am new here. I have psoriasis. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is a dry skin condition somewhat like eczema. Well in the winter months like now my head gets really dry and scaly like dandruff. In the Summer my head is ok with some selsun blue. But no matter what I do in winter my dry head just will not go away. I shave my head to a 1 right now because bic-ing it will A. be hard with all the dry patches on my head and B. make my head even more dry and painful with no hair on it. Any suggestions on how to make my head not so dry so I can go all the way bald?

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
Re: psoriasis and head shaving
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:25:37 PM »
Hi Jblake - - - -I had the same thing and I found a product called - -Psoriaflora - -it is a natural product that you can buy in a health food store - - -it is fast relief for Scaling and Dry Skin  (Psoriasis)   I have found it very effective and I have  no more problem - - - -I use Bald Guyz Gel to shave and use Bald Guyz moisture gel  after - - - - -Good Luck      Let me know how it works       Richard

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 04:22:35 PM »
Hey, there's a lot of us guys w/ one form of psoriasis or another.  My bet would be that shaving would solve the problem, not aggravate it because it would remove the excess skin production.  Check w/ your doctor.  I knew a guy that had scalp psoriasis and he buzzed so that the topical medicines would reach the scalp.  I don't know what you've had by way of prescription, but if off the shelve shampoos would, shaving could be your road to clear non-flakey skin. 

Offline TheImperial

• Puttin' the imp in pimp
    • WillPhillips.org
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:00:17 PM »
Hey jblake,

I have dermatitis really bad. In fact, it is the main reason I started buzzing my hair down pretty short to begin with about two years ago, as any time I would let my hair grow out, it seems that immediately I would start to get red and flaky all over my scalp - along with my beard and eyebrows. I tried all the different types of over-the-counter dandruff shampoos, and none of them were fully effective.

Once I started shaving completely, I've found that all my dandruff problems have vanished for the most part (but even with a couple days of growth, the flakes seem to come right back).

It's winter, and so dryness is just part and parcel of the problem, so make sure you keep your scalp lotioned up.

If you are wanting to razor shave your head completely and are concerned about the built up flakiness, here's what I did: use your hair trimmer with no guard, then use an exfoliant srcub of some sort to get all the flakes out and loosened. From there, it should just be a matter of shaving as normal.

Offline namratasnv

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:27:51 AM »
Hey jblake,

I have dermatitis really bad. In fact, it is the main reason I started buzzing my hair down pretty short to begin with about two years ago, as any time I would let my hair grow out, it seems that immediately I would start to get red and flaky all over my scalp - along with my beard and eyebrows. I tried all the different types of over-the-counter dandruff shampoos, and none of them were fully effective.

Once I started shaving completely, I've found that all my dandruff problems have vanished for the most part (but even with a couple days of growth, the flakes seem to come right back).

It's winter, and so dryness is just part and parcel of the problem, so make sure you keep your scalp lotioned up.

If you are wanting to razor shave your head completely and are concerned about the built up flakiness, here's what I did: use your hair trimmer with no guard, then use an exfoliant srcub of some sort to get all the flakes out and loosened. From there, it should just be a matter of shaving as normal.

I think it is better if you consult a doctor for this so that he can better guide you what to take and what to avoid instead of using by yourself.

Thanks

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 01:10:55 PM »
As a newbie here, I appreciate this post. One reason I held off shaving my head fully was because of scalp psoriasis too. I have been using a product called Sulfur8 that can be found in drugstores or Dollar Stores. It contains sulfur and lanolin. It has helped me tremendously.  O0
- Eric W-

Offline BUELLIGAN

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 12:14:16 PM »
I have the same problem but find the shorter I keep my hair or if I shave the flaky buildup is easier to control.

I find E45 cream applied at night moisturises my scalp. A good medicated shampoo when you have hair will also help
The problem may be made worse by using shower gel on your scalp as the skin there is more sensitive,

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will be along to correct me ;)

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 12:49:43 PM »
I find that a shaved head and plenty of fresh air and sunshine helps a lot.

Pshrynk

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 03:56:23 PM »
I find that a shaved head and plenty of fresh air and sunshine helps a lot.

+1

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 07:17:39 PM »
If I let my hair grow more than 4 days the flakes get out of control.Shaving also helped me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:32:58 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 08:00:41 PM »
I'm not a doctor, but I watch House, on TV. 
Ok, jokes over, I have a DIL and a very good friend that has psoriasis, and the best thing for it, is Sunlight.  Yes I know sun light is bad, but for psoriasis, it is good.  When we go on vacation to a very sunny place, and meet our friends there, and sit in the sun (My Av was taken there)  his psoriasis amazingly clears up.   He, and the DIL takes a 1000 Mg fish oil (Omega 3)  tablet twice a day, and it works wonders on psoriasis.  They are not expensive, Costco, CVS, Walgreens, etc. has these for not a lot of $$, over the counter.
 If I had it , I would certainly give Omega 3 a try, especially after seeing how it has helped them.     

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 10:40:03 PM »
Disclaimer This worked for me may not work for everyone seek medical help to control your flare ups and skin condition before attempting to use these directions replace my cream with what every cream works for you.

coming from just this issue to sly recently i can tell you what worked for me. but you will need to get a cream from your doc and see if it works first. what i used and you could to if it works is Fluocinonide Cream at 0.05% prescription. after i bussed my head at no guard i applied and waited one day. next morning applied again after warm shower waited some time took another shower and scrubbed scalp before my first sly shave. i was a bit red and had small nicks but not more then 3 for the whole scalp so i call it a win.

i fell i should define the application of the cream more.

first day
simple apply like listed below but no need for second shower. get plenty of sun exposure but in small doses no sun burn.  you may or may not get stared at

second day
take a large amount and spread it out over the whole head. you'll be a bit greasy take a warm moist cloth and place over head for about 3 mins for approximately 5 sets. in the end you greasy felling will be gone and you will be ready for shower.  

You still may need to seek a medical professionals help but that is what worked for me.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:00:36 AM by lordmage »
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P