Author Topic: Buzzing your own hair??  (Read 32668 times)

Offline cementpizza

• Learning the way of Sly
Buzzing your own hair??
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:40:23 AM »
Hey all! I am a new member here, but have been a lurker for some time now. Anyways, I am 20 years old and my hair is noticeably starting to thin at the temples and at the vertex. About 6 months ago(when I first noticed thinning) I went to the hair cuttery and had them buzz it with no clipper guard. It looked good and I want to do it again, not only because my hair is thinning, but because my hair is nasty in general (really thick/coarse Italian hair)! Any ways I have a good pair of clippers, can I do this little procedure on my own or with the help of my girlfriend? I figured it would be pretty much impossible to mess up :D. Last time all I had left was a shadow!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Buzzing your own hair??
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:56:49 AM »
Easy, you can get a clipper, electric--cord or rechargable--at most stores for less than $30.  It will come with guards to set the length you want to buzz your hair.  Attach appropriate guard, run all over and you're good to go.  Can't get any simpler until mpb advances to point you may want to consider a blade for a really close, smooth haircut. O0

Offline cementpizza

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:05:01 AM »
Thanks man! I have a nice pair of clippers I think they're conair? But yeah I am a little nervous about completly shaving my head! I've been told I look good with a very short hair style (clipper, no guard), but idk how I would look bald, I guess when my MPB gets fairly severe I will shave it though, but right now, I can still get away with the "stubble" look. I have a very prominent brow, and I think a shaved head would defiantly make it stand out more haha.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
The clippers should have come w/ some guards that fit over the cutting blade, generally numbered 1, 2, 3, etc.  Start w/ a 3 or a 4, that's 3/8" and 1/2" respectively.  The keep lowering the number until you get the look you're after.  It's pretty simple.  If you don't have guards, a barber supply store should have them

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 05:39:14 PM »
I've been doing it for over two decades -- piece of cake!

Just get in the tub (to catch the hair) and go to town. No girlfriend needed (but can probably make it more fun).

GASlick

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »
Before I completely shaved my head, I buzzed my own hair all the time.
No problem!

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 10:54:52 PM »
I personally have no experience buzzing my own hair. I went from a whole head to smooth in a couple hours. I have a friend that does buzz his own head and often misses some spots or some areas look slightly longer than others. That is why if I ever (which I never will) went for the buzzed look, I would go smooth to make sure its all even but thats just me.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 01:55:06 AM »
Welcome Pizza!  O:O

Don't cheat yourself out of a great experience... try shaving!  Hey, if you don't like it it'll grow back quickly.  But I'll bet you like it!  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 07:06:58 AM »
With a decent clipper this operation is pretty easy. When I went from longhair to slick I started off with a Wahl clipper with no guard and just ran it over the dome until all I could feel was fuzz. This was not a complicated operation.
I still keep clippers around even though I am now sly. I have my original Wahl and a new Conair Chopper. They come in handy for beard/mustache trimming.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 11:42:26 AM »
Shave it all the way - - -if you do not like it  - -it will grow back - - -That was my thought when I first shaved my noggin - - - - No way would I let it grow back now  - - -it is wonderful being SLY BALD

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
Did it for a while (very easy) until I couldn't resist going slick and haven't looked back for 5+ years.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline geoguy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 01:13:00 AM »
Before shaving, I also buzzed myself.  Apparently the conair clippers is good.  Just go for it.

Shave it all the way - - -if you do not like it  - -it will grow back - - -That was my thought when I first shaved my noggin - - - - No way would I let it grow back now  - - -it is wonderful being SLY BALD
    I agree with him - maybe do it on a Friday, so, if you don't like it, by monday, its normal (if you buzz) again... 
If I should wake up tomorrow morning, and all my hair grew back; I'd still shave it all off!!  Thank God I'm Bald!!

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 12:16:27 PM »
I answered the other day and since  - -I found a new  Philips NORELCO shaver that I got last year for Christmas  and I tried buzzing my noggin in spots that were a little rough - ( have not shaved since 5:30 this morning ) and it worked very well - -I will try it after a full  day next time  - - - You never know 

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 12:44:51 PM »
I buzzed mine for about six months before I shaved.  It's easy as pie.  No real trick, just buzz it til it's gone and be careful with your ears.  Take the guard off completely. 
You can do it in the bath to catch all the hair like Booted Bear said, or you can just do it over the sink like I used to (then just clean up any errant hairs with a wet paper towel). 

Look in the mirror and feel with your hand for any spots you missed then admire your closely shorn dome!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline jimbo48

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Buzzing your own head is easy and saves you money.  I have been buzzing my full head of hair for 3 years, beginning with a #3 guard and gradually working my way down to a #1 guard (1/8") after the first year. 

About 3 months ago, I wanted to go even shorter, but did not want to buzz without the guard.  Then I found a Wahl clipper at Walmart with a #1/2 guard (1/16").  The Wahl clipper is better quality than my old Conair clipper.  The 1/16" buzz is so short that from a distance, my head looks shaved - it even shines lie a bald head.

Clippers cost $20 to $30 and pay for themselves after 2 buzz cuts. 

Try buzzing your own head.  It is easy.  If you do not like it buzzed, it grows back quickly.