Author Topic: Dying My Beard  (Read 10728 times)

Offline TheBaldAndBeautiful

• Sly Jr.
Dying My Beard
« on: December 17, 2009, 09:53:27 AM »
Would it be weird to dye my beard?  Kind of want it as a fashion statement.  So, what you think?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Dying My Beard
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 10:24:33 AM »
I initially used Just for Men/beard version to cover the grey.  When the beard was immature, it was a process that needed to be done every three or four days to cover the roots.  Finally I developed a bad reaction to the chemicals and had to stop and let the color grow out, effectively acknowledging that time had marched on. 
For fashion statement "colors" I'm assuming you want to go someplace like non-traditional hair color.  I don't know if that's available in off the shelf do it yourself products.  From my wife's experience in covering the grey--a natural red head she started getting significant amounts of grey by college--that coloring requires stripping the hair, then applying dye--a beauty shop operation.  I don't know if those dyes can handle the thicker hair in a beard successfully, you'd have to find a willing beautician. 

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:35:21 AM »
Dyed beards/hair on men always looked dyed to me. I just asked my brother if he dyed his new goatee and he said no but "Mine eyes tell me yes".
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 11:35:23 AM »
Are you trying to dye it the natural color or dye it some crazy color?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 02:28:20 PM »
Avoid shades of eggplant; eschew henna.  In fact, let whatever color your genes serve up, serve you.

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 11:22:06 PM »
Gray,  You've earned it.  Wear it with honor.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 07:51:06 PM »
I would imagine it could be done convincingly but the maintenance might be a pain...  :-\

For me, I earned every grey hair I have on my chinny chin chin and I'm keeping it!  :*))

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 02:33:53 PM »
Tried to dye a white goatee light brown once.  I had the prettiest pink goat on the planet.  Had to shave it.  Ouch! Regular hair dye obviously doesn't work!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

jrppsuobx

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Gray,  You've earned it.  Wear it with honor.
[/quote   Constant maintenance, Just wear it gray with honor!!!!

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 07:52:23 PM »
I use the just for men.  It may be vanity, but I am not yet ready to look like an (older) man.. lol
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 09:12:25 PM »
Many men and women are denied that privilege

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline Larry

• Sly Jr.
    • http://www.theelectroniccigarettecompany.com/
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 02:12:34 PM »
I used Just for Men to dye my beard but realized it cost me an hours pay every time I dyed it so I finished off what's left and guess I'll let it grow out the snow white color it is.  I just had to try the stuff anyway but isn't for me.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 09:01:48 AM »
Skip the dye and be natural. Better to just be yourself, you've earned it. To me, it's almost as bad as wearing fake hair, and it's usually just as obvious.

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 09:19:37 AM »
My beard is in the process of transforming to a "mature" look, but the white whiskers are totally uneven and haphazard, mostly in the mustache, under the jawline on the right side and on my chin.  How long does it take before it looks decent?

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 05:31:58 PM »
Skip the dye and be natural. Better to just be yourself, you've earned it. To me, it's almost as bad as wearing fake hair, and it's usually just as obvious.

How does coloring the hair of your beard not make you yourself?  How does that no contradict with intentionally cutting the scalp hair off at skin level? Would it be better if those hairs were grown to their natural length?
You don't know me, but I know you.