Author Topic: using Magnum M5's vs HeadBlade, getting more razor bumps  (Read 2879 times)

Offline dinosaur1

• Sly Jr.
using Magnum M5's vs HeadBlade, getting more razor bumps
« on: December 10, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »
I read a bunch of people takling about how the M5 pulls on the hair more and I agree, but at the end these cartridges give an excellent shave.  My new problem is now I am getting alot more razor bumps than ever before.  Help!  Is this just a sign that my skin needs to get used to the new cartridge?  I got 5 shaves out of 1 M5 and about 7-8 with the HeadBlade.  Is this pretty close to what everyone else has been getting?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: using Magnum M5's vs HeadBlade, getting more razor bumps
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 07:07:08 AM »
I change blades on the M5 once a week, just as I did w/ the Fusion--my backup now. 
Razor bumps, two questions--how often do you exfoliate your scalp & is your hair very curly?  Suggest a daily exfoliant or a scrub w/ a loofa sponge to make sure the folicles aren't getting glogged w/ oil or otherwise causing the stubble to turn inward rather than standing up for shaving. 
Remember, the pulling of the M5 may be that each blade is pulling the hair further out than before resulting in the extremely close shave that many get, including myself. 

Offline jamesh75

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 08:46:34 AM »
I have some issues with razor bumps and irritation on the front of my neck, under my chin.  After a lot of research on face shaving sites, I have found that the more blades on the razor, the more chance of bumps and irritation due to the blades technically pulling the hairs and cutting below the surface.  So some things I have read to try is go with the fewest number of blades that you can get a good shave with, and don't shave against the grain.  I went from using a triple blade to a double on the face and only go with the grain on my neck.  It has helped me a lot.  My next step is trying a double edge or safety razor, which I have heard give good results for sensitive skin on the face.

Just remember that I'm talking about my face and neck, not my head.  However, that advise probably will apply to the head as well.  On my head, I use a Headblade with the Gillette sensor excel blades and go against the grain.  I have never had any irritation on my head with that combination.  And what Saint said is correct too, exfoliating is an important step to the shaving routine.  I use a Nivia facial scrub and just rub it in with my hands.

Offline dinosaur1

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 06:14:24 PM »
I tried using the Sensor Excels and they ripped my head up, honestly.  The more blades for my head and regular shaving the better.  I wash my head alot, but these M5's....I wanna give them more of a chance.

Offline dinosaur1

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 06:49:31 AM »
For me at least, the HeadBlade works the best and lasts the longest.  I thought someone mentioned that CVS makes a very similar blade that can used on the HeadBlade adapter.