Author Topic: Anyone Else Noticed This?????  (Read 11495 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Anyone Else Noticed This?????
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:29:16 AM »
I've been noticing a reaction I have, and I have also seen it in other Sly Guys as well as in guys who are profoundly bald but not shaved.

At times if tension or aggravation, I rub my scalp.  For example, I was in an airport--delayed flight announcement.  My hand went straight to my scalp for a quick rub--then I noticed the same thing with three other sly guys in the waiting area.  Once guy flipped open his computer and must have been checking alternatives or e-mailing, because he would stop working on the laptop and rub his head.  It happened again to me several times driving back to town Sunday in lousy weather.  A slow down, some one cutting into my lane, all the usual irritations of driving on the Interstate, and bang, right after my hand was on my scalp.  It's sort of like having a built in security blanket, think Linus in Peanuts. 

Am I the only one who's seen this behavior?  As I drove, realizing that it sort of calmed me down, my thoughts turned to the expression that a person was so upset that they tore their hair out--could that expression just be a further indication that in troubled times man is hard wired into getting to his bare, smooth scalp even if he's not lucky enough to be Sly :/O :/O :/O
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 08:02:22 PM by wpruitt »

Offline fireman

• Sly
Re: Anyone Else Noticed Thiis?????
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:50:03 AM »
Great observation there! I feel as if my massaging my "gray matter" before it boils over, just kind of like the Linus comment.

I have even seen guys when pondering (with or without facial hair) do the mustache massage...I know I do even without having one.
Only a few perfect heads in the world....the rest have hair!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:47:12 AM »
i fidget with my goatee along with rubbing my noggin. good one saintc!!

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »
i fidget with my goatee along with rubbing my noggin. good one saintc!!

You know you're right, my beard gets some attention too--oh well, gets us through the day :D

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:04:27 PM »
Same for me, when I am thinking I fiddle with my facial hair. And I agree, the bald head is like a security blanket in a way, when I get excited or nervous I find myself rubbing it.

Offline PeripheralxMvmnt

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • A vida não é ruim.
    • Program Hound
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:10:42 PM »
same here with the head rub.

"What do you MEAN the flight is canceled with no alternate routes?!"  ::cue hand to head rub::
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080816/sampace1aad00c2d75ff.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »
I'm doing it, too. Before going sly, I used to play with my hair. After I started with the head shaving it happened more than once that while I was in my thoughts my hand was searching for the hair to curl and then I noticed there's something wrong.

Sometimes I'm tapping with my fingers on my dome just for the sound it makes  ::)
Ach du meine Nase!

marty22

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 03:58:38 PM »
my fiddling with hair days are over.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 04:16:47 PM »
I do the security blanket head rub sometimes
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 04:56:29 PM »
Yeah.... it's sort of like pulling an Al Bundy of the scalp.......
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »
Here I thought I was the only one!  I'm sitting here working on an intense business issue for one of my clients and I've been rubbing my head all day.   Prior to 12/4/09 I never did that (the day I became free from the rug). 

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 05:05:27 PM »
Here I thought I was the only one!  I'm sitting here working on an intense business issue for one of my clients and I've been rubbing my head all day.   Prior to 12/4/09 I never did that (the day I became free from the rug). 

Relish the freedom!!!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline sq

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 05:31:34 PM »
Yep - me head rubber too - and if it's a real problem I drum my fingers on my head -

Offline baldguynextdoor

• Sly Jr.
Re: Anyone Else Noticed This?????
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 09:10:44 AM »

Yeah, I used to run my hands through my hair all the time when I was reading or really concentrating on something for work.  I didn't even realize that I was doing it, ususally.  Sometimes I'd go to the men's room after a session of corporate heavy lifting, see my jacked-up hair in the mirror, and think "how the hell did THAT happen?"

Now I just rub my head instead.  Can't get messed up - another upside!

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 10:55:32 AM »
For me, rubbing my head is a sign that I am getting tired. When I was on the road doing long hauls my wife when she was along for the ride pointed out to me that everytime I start to get tired I rub my head, so I'd better find the next rest area/truckstop pull over and go to sleep.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader