Author Topic: Goats Galore!  (Read 5458 times)

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Goats Galore!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:22:52 AM »
Yeah, that would have been the rad look for the sixties!  If Maynard G. Krebbs had been sly he would have been way cool!

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 12:02:32 PM »
Yeah, that would have been the rad look for the sixties!  If Maynard G. Krebbs had been sly he would have been way cool!

Red
By the late sixties, I was proudly sporting a goat, or what I figured passed for one, since it was pretty sparse. In nearly forty years, it's been shaved off twice, on both occasions only for a short space of time. (Read: Job applications. LOL!)

With the coming in and out of fashion of the goat, I'm guessing I've briefly looked hip about three times (so far) throughout my vida loca.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 12:06:00 PM by ozzie »
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 12:11:44 PM »
All hail the Goatee!!!

I've grown some form of facial hair since the day I left the military. I always come back to the Goat no matter what.
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 12:37:57 PM »
<nitpicky>
  Of course, we all know that Maynard G. Krebbs is the only one sporting a real goat -- the
  rest of us are wearing Van Dycks (goat combined with stache).
</nitpicky>

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 06:12:33 PM »
Cool article.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 08:05:31 AM »
had mine for about 16 years.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 09:46:38 PM »
I just scanned it because what I read seemed like a whole lot of over analysis.  Lots of words and no substance.
Case in point:

The New New Goatee can signify both youth and maturity. Billy Joel’s goatee is a sign of an older man trying to recapture his youth. Michael Phelps’ goatee is a sign of a golden boy trying to look older.

With millions unemployed right now isn't it a little offensive that someone got paid to write this article?   >:D

The comments are the interesting part of the article. It's so funny reading these posts from people who have actual anger over the fact that some guys maintain a circle of hair around their mouths because it's, like, "so out and some junk".  Yea, that's why when you go out you'll see dozens of guys wearing them.  Then people rant about them being too in: "You just look like a goon with the same goatee as everyone else".  So does the same apply to guys who are clean shaven?  Do they have the same chin as everyone else?  What about those trend-following guys who have, eyebrows? Don't you hate it how every guy out there insists on having the same set of eyebrows as every other guy?  And don't get me started on all those guys who insist on having two ears.  What's more out of fashion and overdone than a PAIR of ears?

Sheesh people (there, not here), a goatee's just a form of facial hair like a mustache or beard.  It's not some poweful statement against the status quo. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:01:49 PM by Rusty Shackleford »
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 03:30:55 PM »
I just scanned it because what I read seemed like a whole lot of over analysis.  Lots of words and no substance.
Case in point:

The New New Goatee can signify both youth and maturity. Billy Joel’s goatee is a sign of an older man trying to recapture his youth. Michael Phelps’ goatee is a sign of a golden boy trying to look older.

With millions unemployed right now isn't it a little offensive that someone got paid to write this article?   >:D

The comments are the interesting part of the article. It's so funny reading these posts from people who have actual anger over the fact that some guys maintain a circle of hair around their mouths because it's, like, "so out and some junk".  Yea, that's why when you go out you'll see dozens of guys wearing them.  Then people rant about them being too in: "You just look like a goon with the same goatee as everyone else".  So does the same apply to guys who are clean shaven?  Do they have the same chin as everyone else?  What about those trend-following guys who have, eyebrows? Don't you hate it how every guy out there insists on having the same set of eyebrows as every other guy?  And don't get me started on all those guys who insist on having two ears.  What's more out of fashion and overdone than a PAIR of ears?

Sheesh people (there, not here), a goatee's just a form of facial hair like a mustache or beard.  It's not some poweful statement against the status quo. 

Ever consider switching to decaf?   8)

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 03:40:51 PM »
Isn't this just a space filling article? I don't think it has any meaning.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 04:39:38 PM »
Much ado about nothing, it seems.    ;)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »
Case in point:

Ah yes, because we all know that nothing makes one look younger than salt'n'pepper facial fur!

What tripe!  :/O

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 07:28:53 PM »
Heck I thought this was going to be a thread with illustrations showing Paulie out in the fields with goats...........

dang it

Clunkerider

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 06:47:30 PM »
I feel naked without a goatee or beard. Besides when I shave I look just like my Late Grandpa and it freaks me out...I know wierd. :px

Enter your email address: