Author Topic: Darius Rucker & The CMA's  (Read 11957 times)

Offline SlySurfer

• aka Mighty Anthony
  • Sly
Darius Rucker & The CMA's
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »
Congrats to our SLY brutha Darius Rucker who became the second black performer to win a major CMA when he won Best New Artist last night, joining Charley Pride, who won Top Male Vocalist back in '72. But is he really new? Isn't he Hottie, from Hootie & The Blowfish. Gee this guy has been around for ages! Good move going solo.  O0

"Making this record, I never thought about being an African-American guy making a country record," said Rucker, whose "Learning to Live" sold 1 million copies this year. "I just thought I was a guy making a country record until my first song went top 20 and people started talking about it. I'm proud of that, I'm proud of being that guy who has taken up where Charley Pride left off."

<iframe width="320" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/q5V8Eey482Q?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chris Daughtry performed an unlikely duet with Vince Gil. I really couldn't hear Gil at all. It was ALL Daughtry.

And congrats to Taylor Swift  :@` who won all four awards for which she was nominated, snapping Kenny Chesney's streak of four entertainer wins in the last five years and Carrie Underwood's three-year run as top female vocalist. In your face Kanye, "She's the biggest artist in country music right now, by far.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Darius Rucker & The CMA's
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 12:21:09 PM »
I know that Taylor Swift won all those awards but I just have to say this............ she can't sing OR dance. She writes nice songs for the teeny-bopper crowd but she is horrible live. I've seen her perform live (on TV) several times and she is brutal...... but my 8 year old daughter loves her.

I think the Kanye West thing actually helped her in the long run. She's a very sweet girl who people felt very sorry for after that incident. I think that sympathy hasn't hurt her at all.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 12:51:19 PM »
I agree. I watched the first minute or two of her act and just had to turn it off. Patsy and Tammy have to be turning over in their graves.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:54:24 PM by Tom Gallagher »

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 03:08:23 PM »
And here I thought his career was over when he started doing Burger King commercials...

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 03:29:59 PM »
I agree. I watched the first minute or two of her act and just had to turn it off. Patsy and Tammy have to be turning over in their graves.

The entire program was a travesty. Whoever told that girl that she could sing?

Offline Big-N-Bald

• Sly Jr.
  • I Never have a BAD HAIR DAY!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 03:50:30 PM »
Chris Daughtry performed an unlikely duet with Vince Gil. I really couldn't hear Gil at all. It was ALL Daughtry.

Let me guess, he screamed his lyrics like he does in all his songs.  I can't listen to the radio anymore because every other song on is him.

jrppsuobx

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 03:55:07 PM »
The girl writes nice songs that all the teenage girls like and relate too! She can't sing . Nor do I want my girls or anyone elses to imitate her singing voice. I believe the CMA is obviously reaching out to the younger generation to promote the future of country music. I think they have it wrong in the one they are choosing to say to the world here is the future of Country Music!!

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 04:01:34 PM »
 While Ya-All were sittin back listening too her --I was sittin back lookin at her................!...... O0

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 04:09:18 PM »
Did not watch any of it as in my opinion country music hasn't been country music in a long, long time. >:(
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 05:45:15 PM »
Did not watch any of it as in my opinion country music hasn't been country music in a long, long time. >:(

Amen to that.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 06:15:10 PM »
While Ya-All were sittin back listening too her --I was sittin back lookin at her................!...... O0

Dude.... I have a son 5 years older than her............. she's a damn kid............
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 07:05:45 PM »

Dude.... I have a son 5 years older than her............. she's a damn kid............
       And yet her likeness is plastered on huge billboards across Minnesota looking sexy........
   Kid ( HA !)..   This Adult kid wants her image out there too be looked at by all.....Why ? $$$$$$$$  ..  ;)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 07:06:32 PM »
The girl writes nice songs that all the teenage girls like and relate too! She can't sing . Nor do I want my girls or anyone elses to imitate her singing voice. I believe the CMA is obviously reaching out to the younger generation to promote the future of country music. I think they have it wrong in the one they are choosing to say to the world here is the future of Country Music!!

Yes, the industry is reaching out to the younger generation and in doing so has totally alienated those of who have been fans for years, who have probably spent more money on country albums than this younger generation ever will.  In the next few years, when Taylor's audience has outgrown her, I wonder if there will be any audience left at all for mainstream country because by then they will have driven everyone away.   To find any decent new music at all, you have to look at the Americana format.

It's widely acknowledged that Taylor can't sing; most people seem to think that she's a gifted songwriter.  I'm not one of those people.  The kids seem to like her, and there are far worse things they could be listening to.  My main beef with Taylor is that she shouldn't be marketed as a country artist; her music is mainstream pop.   I don't understand why some marketing executives decided to put her in the country category and hijack the entire genre.

OK, off my soapbox now ....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qgiILl_F7O8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qgiILl_F7O8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 07:08:44 PM »
obviously she is doing something right...she is on the radio.......

who are we to judge?

Oh.....Its an observation, I see it now.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:10:42 PM by Timmay »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 07:09:52 PM »
obviously she is doing something right...she is on the radio.......

99% of what gets played on the radio is crap.

Enter your email address: