Author Topic: The Search for the Non-Oily Head!  (Read 10375 times)

Offline Smoof

• Sly Guy in Training
The Search for the Non-Oily Head!
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:43:10 PM »
Well, I am one of the folks around here with oily skin.  I discovered this quickly after shaving my head (you'd think I would have guessed, huh?), and now I'm doing what I can to minimize the effect.   I'll post here with my efforts and the results...good and bad!

First, if I don't use anything, my skin is oily and shiny within a few hours.  The shine, I don't mind, but the greasy feeling just bugs me.

Banana Boat Dri-Blok
I read about this stuff here on the forums.  I thought, "Hey, sunblock and it cuts down on the oily skin!  Great!"
  • Cost: ~$5
  • Availability:  Very easy.  They sell this stuff at many drug or grocery stores.
  • Ease of Use:  Very easy.  Non-greasy.  Rubs in fast.  Limited in functionality though.  It is just a sunscreen, so I still had to put on moisturizer (at least a little).
  • Effectiveness:  Very effective.  Smooth feeling.  Dry and actually gave a pretty good matte finish for those that like such.
  • Duration:  I put it on around 7 am and it is good for 6-7 hours before I can notice any real oil buildup.
  • Overall:  Good stuff.  Cheap, easy to find, and cuts the oil for at least half a workday.

Headlube Matte with SP30
I had heard quite a bit about this, so I ordered a bottle.  I thought that anything that could keep a matte finish on my head would have to have some effect on the oil production
  • Cost:  ~$12
  • Ease of Use:  I found this a lot easier than some folks have said.  It rubbed in easily and was gone in no time.  This is a moisturizer, sunblock, and a shine killer.  Good to combine a few things into one bottle.
  • Effectiveness:  Not as good as the Dri-Block.  It did a great job with the moisturizing, but I still found it to be a bit greasy.  It did cut the oily skin, but not as well or for as long. 
  • Duration: I'd say that it lasted for 5 hours, give or take before I started feeling the greasy skin return.  That being said, it is far better than having nothing on at all!
  • Overall:  Not bad stuff!  It combines the moisturizer and sunblock all in one bottle, although I have to wonder how much an oily-skinned guy needs the moisturizer in the first place.  However, it is more expensive and hard to get.

Now, let's talk about cleanup.

Bald Guyz Headwipes vs. Cheapo Walmart Version
  • I bought both types, and they both work great. 
  • However, personally, I found the regular baby wipes with aloe to be a better investment. 
  • They both work, neither one was overly "smelly," and the baby wipes were FAR cheaper. 
  • The Bald Guyz wipes do come in handy little individual packets though.  That really did help when I was on the go. 
  • Also, the baby wipes do get torn up on the stubble. 

Next, I'll try the Headlube Shiny version.  I've got a freebie tube at home.  Anyone else have any suggestions?

Offline Big-N-Bald

• Sly Jr.
  • I Never have a BAD HAIR DAY!!!!!
Re: The Search for the Non-Oily Head!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 05:45:45 PM »
Hi Smoof,

I have the same issue.  My scalp get's quite oily throughout the day.  I usually wipe it down with the towel I wipe my hands with after using the restroom.  This helps for a brief time but, the greasy feeling comes back and it drives me nuts as well.

I'm going to have to pick up a bottle of Banana Boat Dri-Blok and give that a try.  I received some samples of the Headblade products when I bought my HB.  They worked OK but not well enough to justify the cost.

Offline dawgfan

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 05:56:31 AM »
Smoof,

Give the Bald Guyz Moisture Gel a try.  For me, this seems to work the best for keeping the oil build-up to a minimum.  You can pick up a tube at CVS / Wallgreens for around $6.00.

Offline Smoof

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 08:01:05 AM »
Big-N-Bald:  It works, man.  I'm keeping some sunscreen at home and in the car these days.  Makes it easy to do a touchup at lunch if I feel the need.

Dawgfan:  Will do!

Now....  HeadLube Shiny!

HeadLube Glossy
I tried the Matte, and they sent me a free sample ... so I thought I'd try the Glossy, too!
  • Cost: ~$9
  • Availability:  Same as the Matte SPF30.  I had to order this through the Internet.  No stores that I've found here in Dallas carry it.
  • Ease of Use:  Easy.  More of a greasy feel than the matte, and it took a bit more time to rub in.  Limited in functionality though.  No sunscreen in it.  I could add some on top, but that would interfere with this mirror finish I am currently sporting.
  • Effectiveness:  Better than nothing.  Within an hour or so, I could feel the oil buildup starting.
  • Duration:  Very minimal.  Then again, it was never really marketed as an oil-reducer, so...  *shrug*
  • Overall:  Good stuff as far as making the dome glow!  For oil reducing, though, it is pretty much a no-go.

I am now, *gasp*, going down the path of asking some women I know about products they've used for this purpose.  In the meantime, I'll flip back and forth between the Matte SPF30 and the Dri-Blok.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 08:10:40 AM by Smoof »

Offline dawgfan

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 08:28:41 AM »
Smoof,

Here is a thread I found with some other "oil control" products.  I haven't tried any of them, but check out the link.  Give us a review if you try any of these.

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=10756.0

http://www.clinique.com/product/CATEGORY22356/PROD7531/Mens/Skincare/All_Mens_Skin_Care/index.tmpl

Offline jwilton

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:05:57 PM »
Has any one tried this product?

OC Eight Professional Mattifying Gel 1.6 oz. by OC Eight