Author Topic: Help with hair loss  (Read 2193 times)

Offline NWTS1

• Learning the way of Sly
Help with hair loss
« on: November 01, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »
Hi guys I just signed up on the forums. In the past few months I've began every morning and ended every day with a look in the mirror at my increasing hair loss. I'm 23 and my hair has gone down hill rather fast. First, it was very small thinning in the front. Now, its going farther and farther back and I can only imagine what I'll look like in 3-6 months. I trimmed my hair all the way down with clippers but it is so obvious and I hate looking at myself in the mirror or in pictures. I feel like I'm going to be alone the rest of my life because of this. My confidence is dwindling. I am on an online dating site. I go on first dates and they go well but I never get any farther with girls. I know it has to do with my hair and the fact that they see my baldness/thinning in person. I know there are worse things in the world but I'm at rock bottom now. Its awkward when I'm out in the bars and all the guys my age have a full head of hair. I feel so ridiculous. What girl would like this look? Someone please help me.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Help with hair loss
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 08:07:24 PM »
First of all welcome to the Forum! We're glad to have you on board.

If you choose to shave your head it will make your balding a non-issue. Your confidence will probably soar....higher confidence, more attractive to those you might choose to date.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 06:10:32 AM »
Welcome, you're at the right place.  Look around, read some of the threads.  Then, as Koz has wisely advised shave it to the skin, keep it thirty days.  You're going to be bald--that's a fact, but not a defect or disease.  You're going to start noticing how many guys, young guys too, have answered mpb with a blade.  Stick around, things are going to start going your way. O0

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 06:27:52 AM »
You write about seeing yourself in pictures. That was the first step in my awakening. I was holding my new granddaughter and looking down at that little cutie. Someone standing at 12 o'clock (directly in front of me) took a photo. A month or so later we got a pack o' pics and while looking through these I saw the pic in question. At the time I had hair down to my shoulder blades but all I could see in the photo was this glare coming off the top of my head. I said to my wife "does that look stupid or what?". Later on I got a few deer flies stick in my long luxurious hair while out jogging. When I came home I washed it, had my wife braid it and chopped it all off with clippers. I followed that with a blade shave and been sly ever since. I don't miss the hair, either. One less thing to worry about. And even though I am an upper middle aged man (as opposed to old, don't want to run afoul of Saint) I still get some responses from younger women that tell me that they don't mind seeing a shaved dome every now and again. Your attractiveness to the opposite sex has less to do with your hair (or lack thereof) and more to do with how you present yourself.   
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 07:22:31 AM »
One less thing to worry about. And even though I am an upper middle aged man (as opposed to old, don't want to run afoul of Saint)
:*)) :*)) :*)) :*)) :*))  We don't age, we prosper! O0 O0

I still get some responses from younger women that tell me that they don't mind seeing a shaved dome every now and again.
Don't those feel good--puts you "back in the game" even if you're happily married.

Your attractiveness to the opposite sex has less to do with your hair (or lack thereof) and more to do with how you present yourself.   
Wise words from buddha, very wise--listen up NWTS1,  8) 8) 8)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:32:47 AM »
I'm more than willing to bet that it's not your hair that's turning off the women, but your self-directed attitude. Standing there projecting "I'm a loser -- don't even look at me" is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Grabbing your destiny into your own two hands and owning your look, whether it be buzzed down or shaved -- the later is much more of a confidence booster, in my experience -- will do more for your self-confidence, and hence more for how you project yourself, than anything else you can do.

It's just freaking hair, dude. Deal with it and get on with your real life.

Offline Iconic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »
Welcome.

How do you know it's about your hair? Because in most cases, surprisingly,  it's not about the hair. Hair loss might be an issue for you, but it is perfectly possible to, if not ignore the thing, at least care as little as you can about it. You need to concentrate on something else. You are not going to be alone because of your hair.

I agree that dating can be awkward because of confidence problems, but you can deal with them. From my experience I know thinning hair doesn't prevent from getting girls (even though they'd prefer completely bald guys ;D) . However it's wise to to everything you can to gain more confidence.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »
Welcome NWTS1, you've come to the right place for encouragement. Worry about taking care of yourself first, get to where you are okay with your hair situation, then go on to the next thing (dating, etc.).
Shaving it off will end much of your anxiety, and allow you to feel a sort of amazing freedom that comes just from the act of removing what is causing much of your dilemma to begin with.

Let us know how it goes.  O0

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 07:04:31 PM »
Welcome to the site !

A Real and Pretty young lady or woman will look WAYYYY beyond your hair or lack of it, so don't lose confidence due to natural baldness.  Real and loyal friends seem to look at the lighter side of Male Pattern Baldness while you take it very serious.  This is quite natural approach.  However, once you razor it all off or at least clippershave it to stubble and show your strong confidence, you will win over new female fans and male friends ... and that's a confident start !  Good luck.  Keep us posted !  ----Stasiu