Author Topic: My good friend left for Afganistan this morning!  (Read 4001 times)

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
My good friend left for Afganistan this morning!
« on: October 28, 2009, 08:12:12 AM »
This buddy and I served in the Air Force together in Korea back in the mid 80's. During this time we developed a close friendship like a lot of service member do. Even after we both got out (I went back into the Army just 9 mo. later) we would meet up with our families in Vegas and enjoy. Fast forward to last September. I got a call from him informing me that he, at the age of 42, was going back into the military (Army). I couldn't believe it. After being a civilian for nearly 20 years, he was dedicating himself to the protection of our freedom once more. Now his motive was to provide for his family as the company he had been working for was not going to provide him with any kind of retirement. I know he'll do well.

His name is Pat Athow. He's attached to 82nd AirBorne (AA), Alpha Gators. Keep him in your prayers.

Now, do any of you other SBG's have friends or family serving our country in Iraq or Afganistan?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:54:17 AM by FR8TRAIN »

Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: My good friend left for Afganistan this morning!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 08:19:28 AM »
you got it Fr8...

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 09:19:59 AM »
God bless him, as well as all other members of the military.
One of my biggest regrets is NOT serving.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 09:59:51 AM »
Todd.... what a great Friend and American Pat is. Please know that he will be in my Prayers.

Like Schro.... one of my biggest regrets in life is that I never served this great Country.

My Dad was in the 82nd Airborne in the mid to late 1950's. He still speaks fondly of those times and even pulled out all his old photo albums recently to show my kids.
Dad actually met Mom while he was serving at Fort Bragg..........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:13:47 AM »
That's awesome that your friend is back serving this great country.  I will keep him in my prayers for sure!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline jamesh75

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 12:29:58 PM »
I'll keep him in my prayers.  I have a friend in Afganistan.  I keep in touch with him on Facebook.  I always like seeing posts from him because I know he is still with us.  I can't thank those men and women enough for defending our country.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 04:23:05 PM »
God bless him. I have a friend of mine that spends his time between the Pentagon and Bagram Air Base outside of Kabul.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 05:00:30 PM »
Not only will he get my prayers, but I will put him on our military prayer list at church.   I had several of the younger Marines I served with that did tours in Iraq.   I currently have a former student in Afghanistan and my cousins husband leaves in a few weeks.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 06:06:20 PM »
Godspeed and Saint Michael will protect him in harms way.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 06:07:50 PM »
In my prayers
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Enter your email address: