Author Topic: Whats your take on this....  (Read 3507 times)

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Whats your take on this....
« on: October 13, 2009, 09:49:20 AM »
I am posting this in relationships because friendships are relationships

I have an old friend from back in Highschool that we sorta had a falling out about 17 years ago.  We both still live in this small town and we see each other often.  We never speak, exchange hello's nor do we even wave at each other.  WE both just sorta turn our heads and look the other way. In high school we did everything together....well almost but anyways..he was one of the other "Tim's" in our group where we had like 5 guys all with the name of Tim. One time during a basketball game it was very awkward as we were sitting in the same row...he ended up moving because it was uncomfortable for him I guess.
Anyways, like I said it has been 17 years that have went by.  Here in the last year or so I have been thinking about mending the friendship but didnt know how to for sure.  I just prayed about it.   
Well about 3 weeks ago he contacted me and just wanted to know how things were going.  I was surprised to hear from him.  He asked me to go to lunch and we made plans to meet up a few days later.  Well that day came and he had to cancel, we made plans for a few days later...again..it was cancelled.  We are now on our 5th rescheduled lunch "date" and it once again...today was cancelled.  He keeps saying things come up and he cant get away.  Mind  you that he is on leave for work because he had broken his hand on the job.  He is off work until November.
So....Do I keep my schedule open for him in hopes that one day we will actually get to meet up and resolve any underlyin issues or do I just say forget it and go on.  I am really struggling with this. 

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
Re: Whats your take on this....
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 10:51:05 AM »
I think that you should do which ever one that would give you peace of mind. Having said that, as you stated you've been thinking about this for a long time, so by avoiding it thus far, you've had no peace of mind.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 11:11:30 AM »
It does sound a little strange that he's out of work but has had to reschedule 5 times.  Given the history, and that you'd like to get some closure on this issue, you could tell him to give you call on a day that he's free for lunch and if you're available you guys can go, and otherwise try for another day.  That way, the ball is in his court to call you when he's available.  If he calls on a day and then cancels on the same day, you may want to give up ...
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:56:01 AM »
This is simple to me my Friend. If this is still bothering you after 17 years you need to resolve it. You don't think it's sheer coincidence that he contacted you after all this time and just when you were praying on it.... do you?
He opened the door and in spite of the fact that he has cancelled numerous times, you should make sure this gets done since it's eating at you.

I'd call him and simply say.... "Man we've both been dealing with this nonsense for 17 years. Let's get together, bury it, and have a good time".

You're a good Christian man Tim..... so I know that you already knew the answer when you asked the question. Keep us updated on this one please.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 12:20:11 PM »
I just do not know what to say to him when he calls again.  Should I just say Ok, I am still willing to have lunch?  It just gets really frustrating that I normally do not get the call until about 30 minutes before its time to be at the restaurant.   Like today, my daughter asked if I could take her to lunch, I should have said Sure..knowning that I knew what the out come was going to be with him. Instead I told her no, that I had other plans.  So there it went..he calls today and cancelled.  All I said to him was ..ehhh no problem.  We will do it again soon.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »
I've gotta agree with Mike, Tim.  If it's been bugging you, it needs to be resolved.   I would take a more agressive approach though.  It could be your old friend is just really nervous and concerned about this meeting.  How about going over to his house, knock on the door and invite him then and there to breakfast or lunch.   It would show him you are serious about mending the situation and that it's important enough to meet him face to face.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 07:33:37 PM »
I agree Tim, try to clear the air and get straight on exactly what it was or is that's causing him to keep putting it off. The best thing to do is try to talk about it. He may be feeling funny or nervous. At least ask him to be honest with you and tell you if he would rather not meet.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 09:34:07 PM »
Hey Tim, you know it's time to resolve it.  It's also time to let him know that you really want to meet with him and that your time is valuable.  Let him know that in order to resolve this he needs to stick to the plans.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 09:57:52 AM »
If he's laid up and not working, grab a bucket of chicken and just go to his house.  O0
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 10:14:19 AM »
It could be your old friend is just really nervous and concerned about this meeting.  How about going over to his house, knock on the door and invite him then and there to breakfast or lunch.   It would show him you are serious about mending the situation and that it's important enough to meet him face to face.

Gotta go with Paul on this one.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 11:23:59 AM »
OK Update...here is what transpired today...

I got a text message from him this morning.  He said in the message that we will do lunch one day I promise......So do not give up on me OK...Have a good day.

I responded back with Dude it is not in my heart to give up on you.  All I hope that there isnt some underlaying issues you are struggling with.

He said that there isnt and taht I just get anxious and really want to get past this point and start anew.

He agreed and he said we will.....

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 11:19:45 PM »
hey timmay:  glad 2 know that u guys plan on meeting up.  i gotta feeling that u guys will become good friends, again.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 10:23:49 AM »
Sounds good Tim. Sounds like you are on your way to getting a friendship back. Glad to hear it.     O0