Author Topic: 23 year old receder, considering shaving it all at some point....  (Read 14507 times)

Offline Gene_Fighter

• Learning the way of Sly
Hey all, here's my situation:

I'm 23 now, my hairline has been receding since pretty much the second I hit puberty. On the norwood scale I would classify myself as a nw3, but if I'm having a good hair day I can conceal it down to a nw2. I've been using treatments to regrow my hair (Minoxidil and Finasteride) for about seven months now, as of yet still no changes.

I'm really stuck with a bad roll of the genetic dice in that I look like Frankenstein when my head is shaved, and I still look really bad when I'm having a bad hair day--and thus far no luck in regrowing or maintaining any of my hair...

You can see my dilemma.

Anyone have any advice, suggestions, comments?

Kind of at a crossroads right now, not sure what direction to take.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: 23 year old receder, considering shaving it all at some point....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 10:27:14 PM »
Everyone worries about their head shape, and it's usually not really an issue. Why not post a pic and we'll judge whether to get out the torches and pitchforks?

Offline SultanofSwing86

• Sly
  • aha my razor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 11:39:36 PM »
Welcome to SBG

As bootedbear said we can't really identify with your dilema unless you post a picture and see if you look like frankenstein or if its all in your head (sorry for the pun).

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 04:47:05 AM »
Welcome ot the Forum GF!

You're having the same feeling many men have/have had when they see their hair receding. It's totally normal for a lot of guys.

My opinion is that you need to be done with the chemicals.....there are side effects you know......and you yourself said there have been NO results after seven months. I would save that monthly cash and put it to better use in my life if I were you.

The decision to shave is very hard for many and I'm not saying that's what you should do. But it may be omething you should consider as a better option than being tied to drugs.

Post up a  photo for us.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 06:03:49 AM »
Koz told you the absolute truth about the drugs.  They really don't work as you might have hoped.  It's hard w/o a picture since most guys are harder on themselves regarding their own appearance than they need to be.
But assuming you have gotten to the n/h 3 stage, it's probably the tipping point for most guys.  At that point the short cut, Statham style can work for most guys for a while, particularly at  your age.  The only thing that would prevent that is if the remaining hair isn't symmetrical--that makes the look a little hard to achieve.
If your hair isn't really coming out fast, i.e. hair on the pillow, clogging the brush and the shower drain, you may have several years before your mpb is critical.  If it is dropping out fast you may have two or three years until you're unmistakably a bald guy w/ a fringe.  But whether fast or slow, you're going to be bald--and you have to find a way to accept that fact and recognize that it isn't a defect, disease or disability at all.  I think your Frankenstein reference is probably a reflection of the season and no where near reality.  There is, quite frankly, a period after a guy shaves when there is a feeling of, "Who's that dude in the mirror?"  That passes for everyone and it will for you too.  No one, absolutely no one, looks better sporting a dying mop as opposed to a nice clean dome--no one.  Just look in the galleries on this sight, particularly the before and after shots.  Most of us have decided to control our fate, get in front of it and shave.  Once you take control, then the problem will be behind you.
By the time you're 30, at least a quarter of your friends and acquaintances will also be dealing w/ mpb in some degree--you will have just got there first. 
W/o a picture, I'd suggest you do a really tight buzz, #1 or #2--and live with it for a while.  You'll then start noticing how many other guys are dealing w/ it too, many by shaving.  Then read up on the how to shave you head section and try it.  Keep it for thirty days, and my bet, and that of my bald buddies here, is that you'll like it, you'll get lots of compliments and you will have put this all behind you.  Of course, some family and friends will criticize you, many of us had that.  In a very real way this site is the antidote for that kind of reaction.  They'll get over it, learn to accept or even like it.  You just need to focus on one thing, you.  Get this behind you, and you will free yourself up for the things that are really fun and enjoyable in life. 

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 08:59:06 AM »
Hello Gene.  Welcome to the forum.  Listen to these guys-they know what they are talking about.  I have a full head of hair but it is starting to thin all over the top.  Not genes so much as age.  I'm one of the seniors on the site.  Remember, hair is an accessory and not that big of a thing.  It IS what you have on the inside that counts.  You say you think you look llike Frankenstein?  Just remember the childhood fabel about the ugly duckling.  One you shave-----  Good luck on your decision, we are behind you.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 04:53:59 PM »
Welcome Gene.   As others are no doubt going to say...shave it now and stick with our 30 day rule.   Many of your concerns will no doubt be gone by then and your confidence way up.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

jrppsuobx

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
You will never know until you try it! Post a pic, The guys here will give you honest suggestions!!!!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 07:45:20 PM »
Hey Gene, welcome to SBG's, you've come to the right place for encouragement.

First thing you've gotta do is give up the drugs. It's not good for you, period. Save yourself some money and grief like Mike said.

Try a close buzz first to see how you feel, you may end up liking it a lot. From there if you want you can shave it down. I would bet that you'll like it and may choose to keep it. You won't know til you give it a shot.

Keep us posted on your progress.   O0

Offline BaldnBearded

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 08:49:07 PM »
Dude, I'm 23 too and know what your going though.I started rogaine for about a month and a half and was considering other drugs but honestly, going totally bald has been the biggest stress reliever since my male pattern baldness became agressive.I'm 23 and a future norwood 6 or 7.Im not fully comfortable with this look yet either but it's A HELL of a lot better then watching your hair thin and receede.It takes some adjusting and time to get comfortable with yourself, but I say shaving bald is totally worth it.Can't personally  wait till being bald is just the norm for me.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
Do what we ask all guys to do - shave it for 30 days and then make a decision as to what you want to do in the future.  I think I already know the answer.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Gene_Fighter

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 02:29:20 PM »

Hello everyone, thanks for your quick responses and comments.

I've attached some pics to this post, hopefully they give you a good perspective of my current hairloss pattern and how it usually looks. Note that in the "Front-styled" pic, it takes a little bit of time to style it like that, and rarely looks that good. Primarily the worst part is the receding hairline along the temples; the widow's peak can be covered up and a thinning top will respond relatively well to treatment, but not much can be done for a receding hairline.

Unfortunately I don't have any digital pics of when my head was shaved with a buzzer, they're all polaroids from probably about two years ago--so I know that it's only become worse since then. Frankly I wasn't happy at all with the shaved look, ended up wearing a hat pretty much the entire time, so I'm not ready right now to shave it again just to see. I'm quite positive I would not be happy with it. Still, if my hairloss soon becomes worse, I might not have any choice....

Hopefully with the "front-sweptback" pic you can at least get some kind of perception of what I look like shaved, so tell me what you think.

At this point, I've been using Finasteride for about 7 months (recommended a year before evaluating results) and a form of Minoxidil for about 2 months (recommended 3 months before evaluating), so I'm going to stick out for about another 5 months--I've invested this much already, pointless to stop now. And actually, comparing these newer pics to the older ones, I can see some slight regrowth and maintenance on the top of my head, and I do feel that the ravenous recession of my hairline is starting to slow.

I realize that at this point in my life, my hairloss hasn’t yet reached its “tipping point” where I need to make a decision to keep it or shave it—but I’m only 23, so I know this decision will be coming soon, probably within the next few years, which is why I am preparing for it now.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 03:29:59 PM »
G_F, here's a couple of things you should note. 

Finasteride has many problematic side effects that you should be aware of. The two big ones are depression and erectyle dysfunction.  Now, I'm guessing you are worried about going bald because you want to meet someone.  Well, first you need confidence, and being depressed is not going to offer you that, regardless of how much hair you have.  Secondly, when you do meet that person and you progress to a sexual relationship, are you going to want to be able to perform?  So, what have you really invested in?

Who recommends taking Finasteride for 1 year?  Let me guess, it's probably the manufacturer.  That's because they want a years worth of your money before you find out it really isn't what you are looking for.

You are obviously worried about your hairline because you are here.  My suggestion is that you shave your head down all the way with a razor, not a buzz cut like you had before.  There is a HUGE difference between the two.  Keep it for 30 days and you then decide if you have more confidence and a better outlook.  If you don't then grow your hair out and keep on with the drugs.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 03:43:54 PM »
The drugs you are taking directly relate to the sex hormones.  Before you decide whether or not to shave your head, you're going to be bald at some point anyway, you need to do some serious investigation of the side effects, and prepared with those questions ask your doctor who is prescribing Finasteride if he tests for any of the side effects on any regular basis.  The Minoxidil is an over the counter drug, so the recommendation you speak of has to come from the package--that's not independent nor is it actually a medical opinion.  You also need to investigate the side effects of this medication. 
Drugs all have a price, nothing is a magic bullet, nor do either of the drugs have the ability to restore hair permanently, it will ultimately fall out, on the street.  The only way you can "keep" your hair is at home in a box.  Sad but true. 
Good luck, I hope you're one of the "lucky" ones who gets away with putting these drugs in your body without any serious short or long term problems.  Drugs are worse than rugs--rugs just take your money, drugs can take your health.  Neither is a permanent answer--that will come from within.  Best of luck.

marty22

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 04:50:41 PM »
youre a candidate to shave it clean.

Enter your email address: