Author Topic: A "Wow! I'm the luckiest man alive" moment........  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
A "Wow! I'm the luckiest man alive" moment........
« on: October 10, 2009, 07:40:02 AM »
This happened to me last Sunday........

My daughter is a member of the "Smurf" cheerleading squad ....... 6-8 year olds. Every weekend they cheer for the "Smurf" football team. Last Sunday we had a game in another small town (Quincy for you local guys) about 25 minutes away from home.

The field was actually in a natural little bowl/basin at the base of the mountains. It was a cool, crisp day with big puffy white clouds intermittantly covering the sun. A great day for football.
When everyone was asked to stand for the National Anthem we all turned toward the flag...... which was across the field from the bleachers where we were sitting. The flag was on a tall flagpole and the backdrop for the flag was actually the mountains. So there was Old Glory, the beautiful red, white and blue waving against the backdrop of the just turning leaves of the mountains, everyone there turned to look at her.
We were at the naturally furthest point from the flag where I could see the ball field stretched out in front of me, players standing with hands over their hearts, cheerleaders doing the same.......every adult gazing at the Flag..... men with hats removed..... and that amazing song coming thru the speakers and floating out across the field and then into the mountains themselves.

Right at the moment of the anthem "O say does that Star Spangled Banner" I got goosebumps as I had the very distinct feeling of being the luckiest man alive. If a had not had my very dark sunglasses on, everyone would have seen the tears welled up in my eyes..........

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
Re: A "Wow! I'm the luckiest man alive" moment........
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 07:54:28 AM »
Spoken like a genuine proud American, Mike ...
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

jrppsuobx

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 09:04:04 AM »
Spoken like a Proud American and Proud Dad!!

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 09:56:58 AM »
Nice!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 10:09:54 AM »
Thats what I am talking about! 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 11:45:46 AM »
I had a moment like that during baseball.  I was playing a game in Yreka, CA where the field is on the north side of Mt. Shasta.  It was one of the most beautiful parks I've ever played in and the flag was set against the snowy white mountain (it's white almost all year).  A truly amazing view and day.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.