Author Topic: Swine Flu---anyone had it????  (Read 12598 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Swine Flu---anyone had it????
« on: October 03, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »
I think, yeah think, I've had the swine flu.  It set on me last weekend and by Monday pretty much grounded me.  I was on a business trip to Atlanta.  I controlled it w/ Sudafed D, Nyquil at night, and aspirin, all the while drinking lots and lots of water.  Well on the mend  but when I got home Friday, my wife went down with it--must have caught it from me.  What a mess.  One of the crew we had in Atlanta, in his twenties went down, but really hard. 
There isn't any vaccine yet, and by the time it comes it too late for me or my wife, and  my co-worker.  I do have concerns for the daughter who's living at home though. 

How about you guys, anybody dealing with it, or had it?  Mine seems to finally be improving after a week.  What's the old phrase, it takes a week with a doctor or seven days without!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Swine Flu---anyone had it????
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 02:40:19 PM »

Sorry to hear you've been ill, but glad that you're on the mend.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »
I haven't been keeping up with this like I probably should have. What kind of symptoms did you have?
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 07:21:32 PM »
Well, for me it started w/ a scratchy sore throat, and a cough, and the cough got worse, and my temperature at the worst, after two days was a little over 100.  I felt tired, beaten totally lacked any energy or concentration.  At night, sweats & chills, more hacking, w/ disgusting phleme--from yellow to dark green.  Then the fever broke, I kept coughing up all kinds of disgusting stuff, but finally, today, I'm only coughing once every couple of hours, rather than minutes.  The coughing was exhausting, I couldn't sleep until I took a triple dose of Nyquil.  But I'm on the mend.  Damn, I'm glad I didn't wind up with any digestive problems--but that would have been tough--I didn't have any hunger at all--I've lost over 8 pounds.  I just kept drinking water and pissing my guts out.  That's what it was for me.  My wife had nausia for several days, although that's breaking.  My work buddy had really bad vomiting and diarriha the first night, then coughing.  All had fevers of just over 100. 

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 08:41:27 PM »
My son got it last week. Lasted for about 4 days.. We first thought it was just a bad cold or respiratory infection.  Overall, his symptoms were pretty mild and he got over it very quickly.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 11:32:13 PM »
Question:  How do you know it was Swine Flu versus any other flu?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 06:03:30 AM »
Question:  How do you know it was Swine Flu versus any other flu?

I asked the Doc that very question.  Her answer was that the symptoms matched and that Swine Flu was the only strain of flu going around right now.... so she had to assume that is what is was.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 07:03:31 AM »
There was a test that they're apparently not even using anymore, but it was only 60% accurate.  Like SlyinKC says, if you or your family has flu symptoms, it's probably swine.  You have to watch it, most cases are mild it appears, but if it becomes more severe, high temps, etc.  seek professional medical help, quick. 

Offline dawgfan

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 09:09:53 AM »
Well, for me it started w/ a scratchy sore throat, and a cough, and the cough got worse, and my temperature at the worst, after two days was a little over 100.  I felt tired, beaten totally lacked any energy or concentration.  At night, sweats & chills, more hacking, w/ disgusting phleme--from yellow to dark green.  Then the fever broke, I kept coughing up all kinds of disgusting stuff, but finally, today, I'm only coughing once every couple of hours, rather than minutes.  The coughing was exhausting, I couldn't sleep until I took a triple dose of Nyquil.  But I'm on the mend.  Damn, I'm glad I didn't wind up with any digestive problems--but that would have been tough--I didn't have any hunger at all--I've lost over 8 pounds.  I just kept drinking water and pissing my guts out.  That's what it was for me.  My wife had nausia for several days, although that's breaking.  My work buddy had really bad vomiting and diarriha the first night, then coughing.  All had fevers of just over 100. 

We "think" that my wife had the swine flu a few weeks ago.  Her symptoms were identical to those above from SaintC.  We also live in Georgia (near Atlanta).  My wife is a school teacher and more than likely contracted it from one of her students as there have been several in the school that tested positive. 

As for knowing wheather or not you have swine flu or the normal flu, from what I've heard, the swine flu is not nearly as bad as "the flu" as far as symptoms go. 

...and I did stay in  holiday in last night!

Offline PeripheralxMvmnt

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • A vida não é ruim.
    • Program Hound
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 06:44:38 AM »
Well, for me it started w/ a scratchy sore throat, and a cough, and the cough got worse, and my temperature at the worst, after two days was a little over 100.  I felt tired, beaten totally lacked any energy or concentration.  At night, sweats & chills, more hacking, w/ disgusting phleme--from yellow to dark green.  Then the fever broke, I kept coughing up all kinds of disgusting stuff, but finally, today, I'm only coughing once every couple of hours, rather than minutes.  The coughing was exhausting, I couldn't sleep until I took a triple dose of Nyquil.

wow, that sounds just like me not too long ago. i thought it was just a really bad cold.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080816/sampace1aad00c2d75ff.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Sean25

• Super Sly
  • 2010 sly fantasy football champ!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 12:18:49 PM »
My lady friends entire family has either gotten it or has it right now... Except her.  But she told me all about how you pick it up and it's somewhat hard to get compared to the regular flu.  So hopefully she knows what shes talking about because so far so good.

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 02:56:34 PM »
I woke up sick one day when I was in Mexico last month so I was really worried.  But it was mild and cleared up in two days, so by the time I flew back I was completely normal again. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 08:05:42 PM »
I though I might have it but it turned out to just be some bad SPAM!  :*))

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Bald_freak

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 11:46:46 AM »
I though I might have it but it turned out to just be some bad SPAM!  :*))

Timmay got it from doing sumthing unmentionable to a swine, gotta watch them hoosiers  :*))

But, hey bro if you had it, ur body now has the antibodies to fight it if another wave goes around.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 12:00:32 PM »
Well, for me it started w/ a scratchy sore throat, and a cough, and the cough got worse, and my temperature at the worst, after two days was a little over 100.  I felt tired, beaten totally lacked any energy or concentration.  At night, sweats & chills, more hacking, w/ disgusting phleme--from yellow to dark green.  Then the fever broke, I kept coughing up all kinds of disgusting stuff, but finally, today, I'm only coughing once every couple of hours, rather than minutes.  The coughing was exhausting, I couldn't sleep until I took a triple dose of Nyquil.

wow, that sounds just like me not too long ago. i thought it was just a really bad cold.
My wife had what I had, then she got another round of something that lasted four days, as did my daughter living at home--fever, pain, etc.  Daughter's lasted longer that my wife's.  My wife had the regular flu shot--so probably it wasn't the regular flu.  I heard that the "test" to determine flu had something like a 40% false positive rate.  I'm knocking wood that it was so I don't have anymore sickness--I am a really grouchy patient, even I can't stand myself when I'm sick.