Author Topic: Want your opinion on this  (Read 4324 times)

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
Want your opinion on this
« on: September 19, 2009, 05:30:42 AM »
Im currently in college doing general education. Im at the point where if I pass all my classes this semester i'm basically done with gen ed, meaning I have to pick a major.

Im good at English and History, but my dream job is to work in the film industry. SO im considering a major in Film for when I transfer to a university from my community college.

Any of you know anyone personally who has majored in film, if you do how did their job search go for when they got their degree. What to do you guys think?

Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
Re: Want your opinion on this
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 06:08:28 AM »
A friend of mine gave up a very successful and lucrative career in IT to get into movie-making.  It's been 4 years now, and although he's been somewhat successful in getting several short films and one feature-length movie made, he's made very little or nothing.  He's gotten very good reviews from various national-level flim festivals and even had well-known actors in his feature-length movie, but I think it's just very difficult to make money.    He had good sized pile of cash saved before getting into this and his wife has a very good job, that that has helped.  Also, he has 2 wealthy investors that have beeen a big help.   

But, I'm told he's never been happier and is carrying out his dream, so I don't think he's going to throw in the  towel soon.  He's probably more persistant than many, as others may have given up by now.   He's doing most of the script-writing and directing/casting as well as editing.  He's hired top videographers from Hollywood and has become aligned with various producers out there as well.

Didn't mean to scare you away from persuing this field, but it definitely will be a bigger challenge to make money, as compared to other career options.
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline crazy.irish.celt

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 06:44:47 AM »
I will give you my honest opinion.  Please bear in mind that we are roughly the same age, and so I can't say that my knowledge of the "real world" is substantially greater than yours.  That being said:   

I personally know of three people who majored in telecommunications and film and/or theatre.  One of them couldn't find a related job, and so she went to gradschool and got a MS.  She is now an instructor or "super TA" who teaches one TCF class once a week.  She relies on her husband's income mostly.  One of them works in a furniture store.  The other one managed to get a job as a production assistant for a local news station.  ALL of them wanted to work in the film industry.  In short (based on their experiences and long convos. with them about what 'went wrong'), it is VERY hard to get into film, esp. if you don't go to a notable fine arts college.  Unfortunately, name does tend to mean something. 

If I were you, I would consider something that will give you skills which are transferrable.  I remember reading one of your posts in which you stated you liked video games.  Ever considered majoring in software engineering? Graphic design?  These things give you computer skills, which are becoming more and more a necessity.  Also, almost ALL modern movies will utilize some form of CG, so you could still be in the film industry, just not in the 'spotlight'.  I have several friends who majored in other things totally unrelated to film, but they actively competed in a ton of film festivals and ended up doing very well for themselves. 

The real point I am trying to make is that the film-related majors that I know don't make a lot of money, and all of them wish they had different degrees.  They want to be the artist and live comfortably and securely as well.  It just ain't happening for them.  IMO, if you have the opportunity to go to college, you should do something that you CAN do, that is hopefully related to your interests in some way, but that will allow you to live within whatever standards you set for yourself.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 07:51:42 AM »
Two things, for what it's worth:
First, the film industry is made of many parts--find a part where you can really excel, there is always room for the best!
Second, my daughter had a good friend who did the fine arts/film stuff at UT, Austin.  She went to Hollywood, she got a great job.  Secret, her uncle is a famous film personality--
It's going to be tough, but nothing is easy.  Find a niche, fill it with your best effort-- you may not make a whole lot of money, but if you enjoy what you're doing, as one person once said, you never "work" a day in your life. 

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 05:35:17 AM »
Im just having a difficult time choosing a major. I want to work in the film industry or video game industry, only thing holding me back is my lack of mental capacity to do any sort of mathematics or algebra. I will barely squeak by this final algebra class for general education. I just need to make a decision on my major soon or I wont have any thing to fill my schedule for next semester.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 09:08:24 AM »
Then if it's just a major, English--reasoning, film and games are both based on stories, where better to read all the "stories" and some of the best are in English. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 10:34:48 AM »
What do you want to do in the film industry?  I went to college in LA and most of my friends are in either film or TV. 

Here's the deal with that industry.  You have to be prepared to make NOTHING for the first couple of years out of college.  Many people work in the "industry" during the day and wait or bartend at night to make money.

Those that stuck with it were rewarded greatly.  Most of them make serious money right now and get to travel the world and country. 

For example, one of my buddies started off as the bitch for "The Man Show" where he had to do every tiny little task possible and barely got paid minimum wage.  That led to several assistant producer positions; and now he's an executive producer and produces shows for the Food Network. 

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

(|8-)

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 06:36:58 PM »
You should pursue whatever you have passion for, because that's what you'll work the hardest at.  The film industry takes a lot of hard work and perseverance, but if it's your dream job, then you have a lot of motivation.

That said, I don't know if a film degree is the best way to get into the film industry.  School takes time and costs money.  As others have pointed out, the film industry doesn't pay regularly or well to people who are just starting out, and student loans could be more of a burden than the degree is worth.  If you get a film degree and then have to take some other job to pay off your education, you might not be getting ahead.

You need to find out if there are really any jobs you can't get because you don't have a film degree.  My guess is that some technical jobs like editing or camera is probably a lot easier to get if you have a credential and examples of student projects and it will be easier to put together a portfolio if you are in school surrounded by other people who are similarly motivated.  If you want to write for the film industry, my guess is that nobody cares if you have a degree because they judge the work after at least part of it is finished and nobody will ever ask for your resume.  I'm also guessing that there are many, many jobs in between.  Since I'm a computer nerd, a friend of mine in the film industry did animation work--those guys are computer programmers with math, computer science, engineering and physics degrees.  (And he described the working conditions as being like a sweatshop, so be warned.)  So film might not even be the best thing to major in to get a foot in the door.

Since it is a job where connections seem to matter, film school might be a good way to get connections for some people.  But so might moving to LA and working as a waiter, depending on your personality.

Good luck!

Offline crazy.irish.celt

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 06:06:17 AM »
Im just having a difficult time choosing a major. I want to work in the film industry or video game industry, only thing holding me back is my lack of mental capacity to do any sort of mathematics or algebra. I will barely squeak by this final algebra class for general education. I just need to make a decision on my major soon or I wont have any thing to fill my schedule for next semester.

Here's the thing... in college, you can pass, even if you don't really learn or retain the info you paid for.  I am not saying this is just or right, but it is a possibility.  Example:  Guy I graduated with is going to Med-School.  He cheated, copied other peoples' work, studied primarily with old tests, and popped any type of amphetamine he could get his hands on (all Class-II controlled substances i.e. illegal w/o a PX) and crammed for the MCAT, got great grades, and will be allowed to cut people open and prescribe meds.  He is NOT fit to be a Dr.  But he just started Med-School. 

I am not saying you are not fit to be a computer science major/video game designer.  But if math is your weakness, there are ways of passing without having to be a mathematician.   Math is just one part of programming, then there's logic and reasoning and computer skills.  Also, you could just study.  A LOT.  It works.  ALWAYS.  And public universities have free tutoring for that extra push.  My last three years of school, I studied so hard my head hurt.  Daily.  I had little to no free time.  I stopped playing video games, had to start declining offers to hang out, started exercising and eating better, and learned to prioritize.  It wasnt' 'fun' but it was worth it. Now I have a degree that I am proud of that opened doors I wanted to see the other side of. 

It's going to suck.  However, technical majors pay out (IMO) 5X more than what you have to put in, at the very least.  YOU CAN DO IT!!!