Author Topic: 1998 Ford F-150  (Read 2497 times)

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
1998 Ford F-150
« on: August 29, 2009, 01:13:47 PM »
Hey brothers,

Got a question for those of you who are much more mechanically inclined than me. I bought a 98 Ford F-150 (dirt cheap..replacing a Nissan Frontier and getting rid of a damn high payment). It has a bench seat but I would like to replace it with bucket seats if possible. Any of you done this before? If so what do I need to look for or do or can it even be done.

Also gotta give a plug to a product called SeaFoam.  This truck had been sitting for a long time and the previous owner obviously did not keep very good care of it. The engine was missing pretty bad during acceleration and actually cut off a couple of times when my wife was driving it. On recommendation from the mechanics that work on our service vehicles I used SeaFoam in the gas, oil and brake booster line to pull it into the pistons. Man all I can say it what a difference. It still is missing a bit at around 65 MPH but at lower speeds the problem has been eliminated. I don't expect it to run like a newer truck but this product has made a huge difference it how it runs.

Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
Re: 1998 Ford F-150
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 02:45:23 PM »
Good luck with the seat replacement.  Not even sure how you would do that one.

But i agree with SeaFoam.  Gets the lawnmower and snow blower running for the season and has saved my butt with the snow blower more than once.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 07:25:33 PM »
I was in that business for several years and I sold the hell out of Seafoam it is the best product line of its kind on the market.

As far as your seat situation there are a couple of ways to go about it, you can get kits for it and either go to the junkyard for seats you like for cheap or you can order new ones in the style you want.

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 08:20:51 PM »
 I have two Ford F-150s and they just keep going and going......As for the seats the clunckers are rolling in---its a good time too find parts........Ive switched from bench too buckets in the past ---can be done easily --Should be easy too figure out on your own............... :XX

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 11:09:47 PM »
Well I could tell you how to do it, but it would probably be a lot easier to Google a tutorial brother.

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 05:12:41 AM »
I was in that business for several years and I sold the hell out of Seafoam it is the best product line of its kind on the market.

As far as your seat situation there are a couple of ways to go about it, you can get kits for it and either go to the junkyard for seats you like for cheap or you can order new ones in the style you want.

Since you were in the business let me ask you when should I change the oil. I put the SeaFoam in last Thursday. I have seen one set of instructions that says you can just basically leave it in. Another says change after a couple hundred miles.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 06:21:42 PM »
it won't hurt it to leave it in, it designed to clean without doing any damage to your vehicle

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:10:37 PM »
If you get Ford seats, it may be as easy as unbolting one set and bolting in the other.  Some manufacturers put all the mounting points in all their bodies because the tooling is cheaper to make them all the same way than it is to figure it out on the assembly line.  Pull up the carpet, and see it the mounting points are there. 

If not, you can put just about any seat in any vehicle by drilling the floor, reinforcing the floor with a piece of angle iron, and bolting them in. 

I once put a set of '66 GTO buckets into a '70 Hornet.  I had to cut some lengths of 1/2 inch pipe to use as spacers on the bolts to get them to set level, but it only took an afternoon to get them installed.

Good luck.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »
Sea-Foam in the transmission does wonders as well.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 03:30:12 PM »
...As for the seats the clunckers are rolling in---its a good time too find parts.....

No, They aren't...  as a dealer explained it to me, they are required to destroy the vehicles in such a way that, not only are those vehicles not going to ever see the road again, there must not be any usable major parts that could be used to keep a similar vehicle on the road.  The engines are destroyed by running them with sodium silicate in them, and then the vehicle must be crushed.

It's sad to see such a waste, and we taxpayers are paying 3 billion dollars to subsidize new cars for other people...  ...Don't get me started...

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 05:00:38 PM »
...As for the seats the clunckers are rolling in---its a good time too find parts.....

No, They aren't...  as a dealer explained it to me, they are required to destroy the vehicles in such a way that, not only are those vehicles not going to ever see the road again, there must not be any usable major parts that could be used to keep a similar vehicle on the road.  The engines are destroyed by running them with sodium silicate in them, and then the vehicle must be crushed.

It's sad to see such a waste, and we taxpayers are paying 3 billion dollars to subsidize new cars for other people...  ...Don't get me started...

Yes it makes perfect sense to absolutely destroy a perfectly good running vehicle.  And I have already noticed the air seems cleaner, and our oil imports have droppped dramatically.  I'm sure the dealers are clamoring for more of this program because the operation was run so efficiently that they were reimbursed practically real-time.  As a taxpayer, I am so proud of our government.   $c#m
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 06:01:07 PM »

C-MON now ! You know there going too sneak parts off these cars and trucks !!!!!!!!