Author Topic: Best product for pimples/bumps??  (Read 3894 times)

Offline AgentMichaelScarn

• Learning the way of Sly
Best product for pimples/bumps??
« on: August 27, 2009, 11:52:29 AM »
Anybody have any recommendations for products for pimples/bumps caused by shaving?  Much appreciated.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
Re: Best product for pimples/bumps??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 11:59:59 AM »
It would depend on whether it was pimples which are caused by blocked pores or shaving bumps which are caused by ingrown hairs.  If the former, make sure that whatever product you use is non-comedogenic.  This means that it will not clog your pores.  Also an astringent might be good at helping to clear those up.  Salicylic acid containing products generally help clear up acne and blackheads real quick.  I use just a bit of it on trouble spots.  It burns for a second, but really helps reduce redness and clear thing up in a day or so.

If it is shaving bumps caused by ingrown hairs (medical term is pseudofoliculitis barbae) there are a number of products to use as preshave and aftershave conditioners that help to prevent or treat those.  Shave Secret is under $4 at Walmart and claims to prevent nicks, razor burn and ingrown hairs.

Others here might have some better alternatives.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 01:48:28 PM »
SAND PAPER...Smooth those dudes right out!

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 02:03:12 PM »
SAND PAPER...Smooth those dudes right out!

And it definitely exfoliates.  Stick to a 40 grit for best results.   :*))

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:23:57 PM »
I developed a problem with this a couple of months ago and nothing I tried - including a prescription from a dermatologist helped - until my good friend Saintc recommended using a 10% benzoyl peroxide product and a 1% hydrocortisone cream.  Use hydrocortisone cream, not ointment because the ointment never really soaks in.  Apply both products after cleaning your dome and using an astringent to remove any excess oil.  Do this twice a day.  This solved my problem completely in about a week and there was a dramatic improvement in just a matter of days.

Offline allegrodonfuoco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 10:53:50 AM »
I have tried the benzoyl peroxide and hydrocortisone combo and I've found it works quite well also.

I think exfoliation is the key though.  I find most scrubs are pretty mild (the st ives apricot scrub is probably the best).  I personally exfoliate with a brush.  You can find body or facial brushes at most stores that sell bath products (I got one at bed, bath, abd beyond).  I would recommend one with natural bristles (as opposed to cheaper brushes which sometimes have plastic bristles).  The natural bristles are a little softer usually and feel less harsh.  I think for the kind of exfoliation you need to clear up in grown hairs and other shaving bumps, a brush is a much better way to go. 

Offline slyzed_t

• Sly Jr.
  • gettin' SLYzed
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 07:55:56 AM »
a brush is pretty good - try a baby brush (very soft and exfoliates very gently) - something with salycilic acid is good too, since it exfoliates dead skins cells off and inside the hairfollicle itself..

but dont exfoliate too often,since shaving itself is exfoliating too..maybe 2-3x a week