Author Topic: Zirh Products  (Read 6905 times)

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
Zirh Products
« on: August 26, 2009, 09:29:01 PM »
Don't ask how I found this.  I have been a Google freak for the past few weeks when it comes to head products.  I have enough stuff in my bathroom to open my own store.  I think I will name it "The Head Shop".

Though reviews are light here for Zirh products, I did see a couple older ones recommending their line.  While at Macy's today getting stuff to look spiffy for a date, I found they had Zirh products at the men's counter where fragrances are sold.  Tyler did a review of DKNY Men.  I concur - cood stuff.  But I digress.  the prices appear to have come down o nthe products I looked at.

In my quest for uber lather, I needed to get a good shaving cream that did not come in a can.  As luck would have it, they had a jar of Zirh Shaving Cream which appears to be mainly aloe vera, ginseng, glycerin and seaweed extract.  (Whoever saw shaving cream in a jar?)  It was $22.00 for 8.4 ounces.

I will use the product as directed tomorrow and post my review.  When I have more time this weekend, I will test the uber lather and provide those results.  I have a sneaky suspicion that this will extend the life of the investment.

Does anyone here have any experience with Zirh products?  I see that they are now owned by Proctor and Gamble, but reviews are scant at best.  I don't really want to sink money into the remainder of their products without having a guinea pig out there who thinks it is a good idea.  Especially when the Nivea and Neutrogena products seem much more affordable.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Zirh Products
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 10:24:35 PM »
I think you might be the first to review it here at SBG.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline dawgfan

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 05:45:13 AM »

In my quest for uber lather, I needed to get a good shaving cream that did not come in a can. 

Antimidas,

Do you have a "bath & body works" in your local shopping mall?  If so, they do carry a line of mens products that includes a top notch shaving cream.  It is in a green tube, made by C.O. Bigelow.  I am currently using this shave cream for my uber lather.  Ward has reviewed this product here --> http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=9408.0

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 08:42:49 AM »
Do you have a "bath & body works" in your local shopping mall?  If so, they do carry a line of mens products that includes a top notch shaving cream.  It is in a green tube, made by C.O. Bigelow.  I am currently using this shave cream for my uber lather.  Ward has reviewed this product here --> http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=9408.0

I have not been able to find one in the mall I was at.  I am not an avid shopper though.  I like to get right in and out and malls are not very conducive to that experience.  I am keeping my eyes peeled for one though.

Offline BaldBear

• Bald, Bearded and Bear!
  • Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • "woof!"
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 08:44:49 AM »
I used Zirh for MANY years. Theirs was the first "dedicated" men's product line that I ever used seriously. I bought pretty much everything they made. The shave cream is nice, but with a beard...I prefer a gel that I can "see through" so I don't inadvertently lower my beard line every time I shave.

The "Prepare" pre-shave oil was the first of this type of product I had ever used and I was HOOKED! I still use that from time to time. While I have switched to other brans over the years, I have a few jars of Zirh Shave Gel in the bathroom and I use "Correct" every morning and every night under the eyes. Seems to keep the bags and wrinkles at bay.
Woof!
"The more hair I lose...the more head I get!"

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:07:58 AM »
I decided to go industrious with the Zirh Shaving Cream this morning.  I shaved half of my head and face as directed by applying a thin coat of the Zirh shaving cream.  The other half I mixed uber lather using the same cream, glycerine and Williams Mug Shaving Soap.  I did not use any oil.  To make things easier, I did this over the sink right after my shower so everything was adequately hydrated and softened up.  I always go against the grain only as this gives me a closer shave.

First the side with just the cream.  The shave was nice and close.  The cream had a nice cool feel to it with a faint scent.  It is easier to see the areas you missed when using the cream instead of a gel.  I did not have to make multiple passes to grab any missed stubble.  But the cream is very thick and quickly clogged the blades of my Fusion.  It took high pressure hot water to rinse the blades, so this is not one for the water conservationists out there.  This is one cream where you really want to rinse the blade after each stroke in hot water.  The hotter the water, the easier it is to rinse from the blade.  The shave was adequate but on par with any of the other products I have used.  I did really like the scent which remained faint after rinsing.

For the other side, I must say the the uber lather was superior.  I got plenty of lather out of a nominal amount of cream.  The blade glided over my face and scalp with no irritation.  I could not believe how slick the feel was as the razor slid right across without any effort.  I believe this is the smoothest and nicest shave I have been able to accomplish.  The added time to get a rich lather is well worth it.  My neck normally gets irritated whenever I shave, but not so with either side when using the Zirh Saving Cream.  I can't say the the slick was a product of any one of the ingredients used to make the lather, but I am definitely considering setting my alarm clock 30 minutes earlier so I can make this my new routine.  With the uber lather, the blades did not clog.  It was easy to rinse out in a mug of hot water.

The shaving cream does not contain any benzocaine or menthol, but it still felt cool.  I am not sure if this is a result of the high amount of aloe or some other ingredient.  Three hours later, my head still feels cool and has a light scent that has attracted compliments from more than one coworker who happened to get close enough to pick up the scent.

At $22 for 8.4 ounces, this is a better value for your dollar than the Matte for Men Shaving Gel.  I was able to get more accomplished using less.  The manufacturer states that a jar will last for 3-4 months on average, but this is most likely only considering the face.  I am guessing from the small amount that I had to use that it will last about two months with daily shaving.  With oil as a base, I can only imagine how slick the shave would be.

Pros:  Nice clean scent, great for uber lather, nice feel, not overly pricey.

Cons:  Quickly clogs blades.

Where to find:  Any higher ended department store such as Macy's or Nordstroms in the men's fragrance section.

Feel free to ask questions.  :)

Offline dawgfan

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 06:51:11 AM »
Antimidas,

Looks like you've found that the Uber Lather is worth the extra effort!  It is truely amazing how much this improves the entire shave routine for me.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:23:16 AM »
So right Dawgfan.  But I found something better.  Shave Secret under it or any other product.  I shaved at 5 last night.  Here it is 8:30 am and still smoother than a normal shave.  I am just starting to feel the hit of stubble.

Offline Emcee

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 02:37:07 PM »
apologies on rehashing an older thread. figured the topic was already here and all....

just curious if anyone 'round here uses (or those who have used in the past continues to use) and gets good results from Zirh Shaving Cream. havnt seen a whole lotta talk on it via the search function and considered picking some up at Macy's over the weekend, but at 22.50 thought i'd check here before giving it a try.

Offline BaldBear

• Bald, Bearded and Bear!
  • Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • "woof!"
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 11:25:24 PM »
apologies on rehashing an older thread. figured the topic was already here and all....

just curious if anyone 'round here uses (or those who have used in the past continues to use) and gets good results from Zirh Shaving Cream. havnt seen a whole lotta talk on it via the search function and considered picking some up at Macy's over the weekend, but at 22.50 thought i'd check here before giving it a try.

I still like the Shave Gel. Gives me a nice close shave, and keeps my skin nice and clear.
Woof!
"The more hair I lose...the more head I get!"

Offline Emcee

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 03:27:01 PM »
thanks! i guess one's enough, i'm gonna try out the cream, i think.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 04:23:58 PM »
Don't mean to derail the thread, but I also love Shave Secret, Antimidas.  I use 8-10 drops for face and head. Then I'll wait a minute to let it soak in before applying shave gel.  It really brings out the best of whatever shave cream/gel you happen to use.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."