Author Topic: Scruffy look  (Read 20526 times)

ycartt

Scruffy look
« on: August 24, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »
Any suggestions on how to achieve the optimal 'scruffy' facial hair look?  I'm contemplating it and I know it will only take a day or two but what's the best shaver and guard #, if any, for maintaining?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Scruffy look
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 09:40:20 PM »
Any suggestions on how to achieve the optimal 'scruffy' facial hair look?  I'm contemplating it and I know it will only take a day or two but what's the best shaver and guard #, if any, for maintaining?

Are you talking about designer stubble?  I think it depends on the thickness and color of your beard.  The look works better with darker hair.  If you have blond or red hair, it just looks really dirty.  With darker hair, the edges of the beard are more defined and it just looks better.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure that it works well with a clean-shaven dome.  It's supposed to convey a casual look of not having shaved for a couple of days and a smooth dome sort of ruins the effect. I think a beard that's grown in a bit more but still close-cropped looks better.  JMO.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:01:10 PM »
On the other hand, I think it can be a killer look on some guys.

ycartt, let it grow out a few days and post a picture.

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:28:28 AM »
For me it only takes a couple days and its all scruffy looking. If I want to maintain it I take the gaurd off the beard trimmer and shave it down every couple days. If I want it to look better I sometimes take scissors to the edge and snip the hairs that are out of place. I have had people say it looks awesome on me, a smooth dome with the stubble on the face.

Offline allegrodonfuoco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 12:31:38 AM »
I think it can look amazing when done well...

I would say probably number 1 (1/8 inch) is a decent guard to give that stubble look.  It's long enough to be effective but short enough to be comfortable and not itchy (which can happen if it's getting too long).

Ideally, you should trim the edges and define a jawline.  This works best because having the hairs growing all down your neck makes it look more sloppy.  I often try the "neat" scruffy look, but it can be hard to find the right shape.  Half the time I end up taking a little off one side to balance it out, then a little off the other until I mess it up and trim it down to a goatee.  However, if you can find the right shape for jawline, it can look really great.  Here is a good website that discusses how to go about that... http://www.beards.org/neck.php
It's for beards, but the same principles apply.  I would think of the scruffy look as just a very short beard, in terms of the way you maintain it.

I heard that a lot of celebrities that look effortlessly scruffy actually go to people that specifically groom their "scruff".  They say scruff (done properly) can better make you look (and photograph) better.  Not to mention, I personally don't really like the feel of a freshly shaven face.  A little stubble seem more comfortable.

Give it a try!

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 05:48:02 AM »
I can get a good "scruff" going in 4-7 days. I have an Andis clipper with detachable blades (#00000, #000, #0A, #1) and the #1 keeps it all uniform but slightly longer than just a 5 o'clock shadow. Professional model barbers use. Works great.

BaldRob

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 06:32:28 AM »
Days??  My "scruffy" look is a matter of hours... and comes into it's own after 1 day of not shaving the face, which for me, is the optimal scruffy look.  Just too much maintenance, aka grey whiskers, for me now though!

ycartt

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 06:42:05 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.  In about two days I'm scruffed out.  I shave every other day to try and make my shave last longer but by the end of day one its definitely 5:00 shadow.  My facial hair tends to be dark with a hint of red in it, especially if I've been in the sun a bit.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 07:30:46 AM »
I can only add that the mbp part of this look has to be symmetrical--i.e. balanced on both sides with no areas of the scruff separated from the rest of the hair--that's not scruffy, that's skid row. But its only my opinion.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
Re: Re: Scruffy look
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 11:00:02 AM »
I sometimes indulge in this myself , quite look the look for day maximum

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 06:34:09 AM »
There's an age factor here. I'm 72 and looking scruffy would simply give others the idea that I'm slipping into dementia or cannot take care of myself. Also, I would have serious difficulties just living with what isn't germane to me. On the young, it's great-for some-but after some point, 45-50 would be a good number to think about as the upper limit, it's time to clean it up.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 07:37:44 AM »
Are we talking that late in life Howard Hughes look.....LOL.

Offline natedraven

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Bald Guy Secrets | The One Website Every Bald Man Should Visit
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 06:03:06 PM »
Try i-Stubble from Conair..

theman

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 03:36:08 PM »
With the wind blowing and the weather getting colder. The stash that seemed to go wild.  I have been wearing stubble and only trimming the neck.  I love it.  Shave the head !  But leave the old face.  It is going on 5 days will post a pic. when I feel it looks good.  When I rode my Harley , I know that even stubble feels good on the face, during the Polar Bear Run I used to go on. 

It does make me look older as it is all gray, but then again I am old.  LOL   Show know it shows Wisdom, Knowledge, etc..  ;D

theman

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 12:34:26 PM »
Going to have to come down on the sideburns.  With the hair on my body, I have never had sideburns lol.  So may have to go like Mr. Zed or Mr. Jules.  But I do enjoy the not shaving the face everyday even if is is all gray !   ;D