Author Topic: Double Edged/"Safety" Razors?  (Read 10152 times)

Offline fatbert

• Learning the way of Sly
Double Edged/"Safety" Razors?
« on: August 23, 2009, 11:33:27 AM »
Hello all. I recently started shaving my head again and am interested in using a double edged or safety razor (I'm looking at this particular model).

What I'd like to know is if there are any members here who use or have used one of these and how it worked out for them. I know it takes longer to shave than with a modern cartridge razor, but what I'd really like to know is how it works out when shaving the back of the head.

Offline Dan-O-Mite

• DanOMite
  • Sly
    • www.myspace.com/dangman
Re: Double Edged/"Safety" Razors?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 11:31:17 PM »
It takes alot of getting used to when it comes to DE razors, blade angle and not using pressure are key.

I advise try using on your face first and get used to using it there first, after that, you might consider using it on your head, maybe try baby steps into it, like just try shaving the sides at first with the DE using the 3 pass technique and go from there

hope this helps
Its good to be bald my friends :)

Offline Larry

• Sly Jr.
    • http://www.theelectroniccigarettecompany.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:07:08 AM »
I use a de every day!  I have a 1927 Gillette Bostonian I got off ebay for 9 bucks.  It's in good condition and is silver plated.  I bought a pack of 100 bic blades for $19 from http://www.westcoastshaving.com.  It doesn't get any better than this!  I started by shaving my face but still used the headblade on my scalp but after shaving my scalp one day, I decided to try running my de over my head so I lathered up and went through the motions of shaving my head.  I heared the popping of the remaining nubs and have been shaving this way ever since.  A preshave with the headblade makes it easier but I've shaved many times from a cold start.  Use no pressure at all and take your time getting used to the razor and let the blade do the work and you'll be fine.

Offline Dan-O-Mite

• DanOMite
  • Sly
    • www.myspace.com/dangman
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 08:14:56 PM »
hmm thats something to consider....trim it down first with the catridge and then clean it up with the DE....I might try this sometime
Its good to be bald my friends :)

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:30:11 PM »
Just got my Merkur Vision in the mail today.  Can't wait to try it out.  But I think I will follow Dan-O-Mite's advice and get used to it on my face first.  Only when I become proficient will I move to the head with it.

I did buy a variety of blades:  Lord Platinum Class, Feather New Hi-Stainless, Gillette Super Silver and Merkur  Super Platinum.  Anyone out there have recommendations for decent inexpensive blades?  The whole goal is to stop throwing money away on Fusion and Mach 3 blades.

Eventually, I will move back to the straight razor and stop spending money on blades altogether.  But it will take much more time to get familiar with that whole process.

Offline jamesh75

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 02:21:17 PM »
Eventually, I will move back to the straight razor and stop spending money on blades altogether.  But it will take much more time to get familiar with that whole process.

Wow, using a straight razor just sends chills up my spine.  NO THANKS!!!  I'll stick to something a little less lethal.  If you can do it, more power to ya man.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 08:56:21 PM »
Eventually.  Might take at least a year.  Sliced the hell out of my thumb cleaning the safety razor.  I was being stupid.  Have not seen that much of my own blood in a looooong time.  I need to learn to be much more careful before I put the straight razor to my head on my own.  I do use it on the face occassionally and can then go about three days without having to shave again.

Did get an appointment with dad next week for a straight razor shave with a professional at Heimie's Haberdashery in St. Paul, MN.  A b'day present for dad and a treat for me.  Traditional 19th century barbershop.  And they will even do the head shave with a straight razor.  I can't wait.  Thinking of not shaving anything for the next week to get the full benefit.  I will at least have one days worth of growth before I go.  I want to see how good they are.

ycartt

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 09:33:49 PM »
James...its a double/edge safety razor, not a straight razor...big difference.  I would be terrified too of a straight razor.  I use a Merkur DE on my face.  I shave my face every other day to minimize the irritation it gets.  The DE definitely helps to minimize irritation vs. a cartridge blade.  I also use a badger brush.  I have not tried, nor really interested to at this time, to use the DE on my head.  That does make me a little nervous.

Offline jamesh75

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 06:02:51 AM »
Yeah, I got that, but Antimidas is actually crazy enough that he's thinking about trying a straight razor.  Now, getting shave by a professional using a straight razor, that sounds awesome.  Let us know how that goes.

ycartt

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 07:21:34 AM »
Yea, I don't think I would go for a straight razor unless it was by a pro.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 12:12:54 PM »
The deal with the straight razor, even if used by a skilled barber, is that they can't really go against the grain too easily (maybe if you were inverted) so it ends up not being as close as you'd think. Still a cool experience, though.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 01:53:42 PM »
They call those things "cuthroats" for a reason...LOL

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 07:58:34 PM »
They called today to tell me that they could not do a head shave with a straight razor because "it is too risky."  It is not too risky to slice hair above the jugular, but it is to cut over the skull?  That makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.  This will definitely affect my review.

Offline Stevo

• Agile, Mobile, Audiophile
  • Sly
    • Country Road of Life
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 08:22:01 PM »
They called today to tell me that they could not do a head shave with a straight razor because "it is too risky."  It is not too risky to slice hair above the jugular, but it is to cut over the skull?  That makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.  This will definitely affect my review.

They've shaved thousands of necks, but you would probably be their first head, and things could get very ugly very fast.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 08:32:29 PM »
Well, I was my first head too.  Wait.  That did not come out right.   :*))

Enter your email address: