Author Topic: Am I going bald ?  (Read 5750 times)

rbradley89

Am I going bald ?
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:12:33 AM »
Here is a photo I took last night of the top of my head, ignore the bowl and cup

My dad is bald, but his dad and his brothers are not, my mums dad is not bald and no one is in there family.

What do I do ?  :D

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Am I going bald ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »
Look on this chart--if you can't find yourself, your loss, if any is still not classified as mpb.

http://journals.cambridge.org/fulltext_content/ERM/ERM4_22/S1462399402005112sup002.htm

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 09:36:41 AM »
Short answer....yes, probably.  That is the way that my hair looked a few years ago.  I rode it out for years and used Rogaine to slow the process.  It worked, but I got concerned about putting chemicals on my scalp.

Your picture may be deceiving.  I can tell that you put gel in your hair.  Gel looks cool, but it accentuates a bald spot.  the flash from your camera isn't helping either.  To get a good judgment about your situation, we need to see a couple angles and get the overall picture of what you look like.

You're going to get advice to cut your hair shorter, until you get comfortable and then go ahead and shave it bald.  I'm going to tell you something very honestly....if you start cutting it shorter, you will notice the balding even more.  So, you have a few choices, IMO:

1)  Ride it out as long as possible and try to suppress the self-consciousness issues (about the fact that you're losing your hair.)
2)  Buzz your hair shorter and shorter, until you accept your new look.
3)  Accept balding, embrace it, and shave your melon.

Without seeing the rest of your hair, it is pretty difficult to make a call on what you should do.  Your bald spot is pretty small, but we can definitely see your scalp.  My guess is that you're about 25.  At least that is how my hair looked at 25.  I suffered with self-consciousness for another 8 or 9 years, before I finally shaved it at age 34.

My suggestion is to read through the stories on this forum.  You'll find one thing repeated over and over again.  Once a guy shaves his head and accepts being bald, a new sense of self-respect, confidence, and happiness emerges.  It certainly did for me.

Good luck!

rbradley89

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 09:41:44 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I am actually only 19 years old.

I live in the UK and propecia and the other thing you said it quite expensive and due to the curreny economic climate I cannot afford it.

I do use hair wax, would it be a good idea to stop useing it ? I want to try and ride it out as long a possible but I will eventually cut it short and see how it looks.

Offline SultanofSwing86

• Sly
  • aha my razor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 11:18:06 AM »
I would guess that it is mpb, however if you are concerned that the hairloss/thin hair is due to something else then you could always consult a doctor. Though mpb can occur from the teenage years so it is not unusual for it to happen. Mine started when I was 19, I receded at the temples, then in the last 18 months it has thinned significantly on the top.
Male pattern baldness is commonly genetically inherited via the maternal side, though it is more complex so the fact that you mother's father is not bald does not make you safe. It can also be inherited via the paternal side, hence your Dad being bald is probably where you can place blame  :x! Do you have any brothers? they are often useful to look at, my eldest brother went bald years ago, though my brother who is closer in age to me shows no signs of balding despite that I am and he is 1 and a half years older than me.     

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 12:21:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I am actually only 19 years old.

I live in the UK and propecia and the other thing you said it quite expensive and due to the curreny economic climate I cannot afford it.

I do use hair wax, would it be a good idea to stop useing it ? I want to try and ride it out as long a possible but I will eventually cut it short and see how it looks.

Don't use Propecia.  The sides affects are not worth it.  Hair wax is cool for guys with hair like yours.  So, if you're going to keep you hair, why not use the wax and enjoy it while you can.

I did not like the wax/gel because I live in a very hot climate and it would run into my eyes when I sweat.  Then, I just got sick of always having to style my hair and worry about covering up the balding areas.  So, I buzzed it tight.  I had it like that for many years and used Rogaine the whole time.

I got concerned about the long-term affects of putting Rogaine on my head.  So, I threw in the towel and shaved my head bald.  Honestly, I am happier than ever.  I love my bald head and I really enjoy the look.  I will probably never grow my hair back ever again.

Whatever you choose, you need to be happy and comfortable.  If the thinning hair makes you feel bad, then you need to figure out what is going to make you happy and just do it.

Again, read the stories here and you will see what I mean.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 12:31:15 PM »
I'd say your hair is definetyl thinning...... but I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Whatever you do, listen to BEM....stay away from the PROPECIA! The health ramifications can be very serious. Please do your homework on this.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Christian

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 02:26:40 PM »
Thinning yes ... but too soon to tell if you are going to be bald soon.
Bem had a lot of good advices! Nothing to add. :)

rbradley89

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 03:53:56 PM »
Thanks for the replys everyone.

Unfortuently this is beginning to depress me a little but, but I will soon get over it.

I will not use propecia, as some of you have said...its useless and the side affects are horrible.

I have had blood taken from me to be tested just to make sure nothing else is causeing this, I will get results tomorrow.

All my brothers who are older than me ( 21,23,26) all have alot of thick hair, so I might just be the odd one out like my dad.

Will let every one know about the results tomorrow and we'lll go from there.

marty22

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 04:16:47 PM »
Not look term good. However; let it go at this time.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 05:08:23 PM »
Boy, do I understand the depression of MPB.  So glad I shaved my head.  The depression fled with the hair.  Now I feel awesome!  No more trying to hide it or ignore it.  No more of people telling me that I am going bald.  Thank you Mr. Obvious!  I shoulda done this twenty years ago.

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • At 56 and still feeling GREAT!
    • Jon Erdmann - Photographer
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 10:11:13 PM »
Back when my younger brother was your age, his hair looked like yours as thinning.... now he looks like a fryer tuck with a bald spot up there.  If he wears a hat, he can keep it covered, refuses to shave his head and become the clan of the blessed  8)

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
"Clan of the Blessed"  :)  I like that!    O0

Offline SultanofSwing86

• Sly
  • aha my razor
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 10:17:48 PM »
You maybe depressed about it now but all the guys on here have been through the same thing, apparently mpb can lead to the same anxiety in the older guys losing their hair as the younger guys.

But hair loss isn't the end of the world, if you read around on this site you will find guys of a wide rnge of ages. The way most of them have dealt with it is to shave it completely off, therefore embracing their baldness, plus when you shave it off nobody can notice the balding anymore and will think that you just shave it off for style. Definately here in the uk a shaved head is now a very common and socially accepted hairstyle, plus women love it as it is a sign of a man with alot of confidence.

Offline BaldnBearded

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 10:36:33 PM »
Dude, I know it's been said a thousand different times but I say go through with it and go sly! I've been really self concious and depressed the last two years about my rapidly balding head.i went through with the deed three days ago and shaved and I can honestly tell you I'm bald for life.I can't shave the stubble on my head fast enough now!You gotta embrace the inevitable.You won't realize till you do it how freeing it is for your mind!